Author Topic: Tribute cars  (Read 4312 times)

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
Tribute cars
« on: September 16, 2009 - 11:21:43 PM »
Sorry if I offend anyone here but what the #%$@ is the deal with these tribute cars. What a bunch of crap! If the car is a clone,say so. That is easy to deal with. But a tribute car? People are so in love with a particular model that they spend their lifr paying tribute to it? Same thing applies with these tribute bands. They're just copies people! I personally dont think a clone is all bad if your willing to just say that is what it is. Thanks for letting me vent guys ( and gals).
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline hebeegbz

Re: Tribute cars
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009 - 11:31:09 PM »
I like your thinkin . :roflsmiley:
thread gone in 60 seconds

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009 - 11:57:33 PM »
Tribute in most cases is the correct term.

Clone, to the insurance & law enforcement community is a VIN swap car, a "clone" of the original car, numbers & all.  :2cents:

Offline TripleT

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009 - 12:23:07 AM »
I always viewed a "clone" as a car that exactly replicated as much as possible the original.  Same engine, paint, interior, no customization or modification whatsoever.  If there is the least bit of modification, for instance billet wheels or EFI or headers, then it is a tribute.  Thus in my thinking an AAR style copy Cuda with a big block is a tribute, not a clone.   But what do I know, I'm as noobish as it gets.  When a car is being sold, I find it more honest for the owner to say it is a tribute and not a clone, unless he has restored it 100% accurate to the intended original model.

:newbie:

-Tim

1970 Plymouth Barracuda    2000 Dodge Ram 2500

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009 - 12:37:19 AM »
Cloning definition

The production of an exact copy of an object
A copy or imitation of something already existing, especially when designed to simulate it.

Tribute definition

An acknowledgment of gratitude, respect or admiration; an accompanying gift.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline 67vertman

• Sr. Resident
  • Member since 9-23-2005
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009 - 12:43:48 AM »
 :iagree:

Well said Mike!

I never really know what to call a car that is trying to be something else, such as a Barracuda "cloned" to a Cuda....clone dosen't really apply and tribute doesn't either.

I typically stick with modified.  So when I am completed with my car it will be a modified Barracuda.  :2thumbs:

Ron - Born and raised in Southern California

I got the 1970 Cuda, but still need the hot blonde to ride shotgun!

First car -1969 Road Runner 383 4sp

Current ride - 1970 Barracuda 440-6 4 sp Dana 60  (4:10)

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009 - 02:41:43 AM »
I'm in the same boat as Triple T. Restomod, Pro-Street, G-Machine, Restored, Survivor, Barn Find, Clone, Rat Rod, Restified, Pro Touring - I didn't know wtf else to call it when someone asked me so I went with Tribute....sounds better than Never Ending Black Hole of Money that eats away at my life  ::)
:dunno:
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009 - 02:54:34 AM by ntstlgl1970 »
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

moparniac

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009 - 08:48:08 AM »
People worry to much about that crap! I mean how many people are actually doing a perfect restoration,,, if its not 100% correct is a clone to me.... clones are more popular than originals today and will get more popular as the cost to build continues to go up!  :2cents: There is probably 20 times more of the "others" than "originals"

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009 - 09:11:26 AM »
People worry to much about that crap! I mean how many people are actually doing a perfect restoration,,, if its not 100% correct is a clone to me.... clones are more popular than originals today and will get more popular as the cost to build continues to go up!  :2cents: There is probably 20 times more of the "others" than "originals"

:iagree:  The cost of actually buying an original, let's say a Challenger T/A or an AAR 'Cuda is prohibitive to buying one.  If someone can take a base Challenger/Barracuda and turn it into something that looks like it, then in some ways, you're satisfying your taste for filet mignon with chuck steak for a fraction of the cost... a bonus is that you can also drive the car knowing that it isn't as rare of as the original type of vehicle you replicated and you don't have to baby it as much...  :burnout:

For example...how many replica 427 Shelby Cobras are there on the road now compared to how many were actually built in the 60's?  It's very rare/unlikely you'll see an original driving around, especially around Boston...  :2cents:

I guess some people say that you can never have a clone because that means EXACTLY duplicating the car down to the VIN # which you can't (shouldn't) do.

Clone...tribute..., eh, just drive it and enjoy it, don't worry about semantics...  :)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009 - 09:14:04 AM by Super Blue 72 »
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009 - 09:14:43 AM »
Fake,clone,tribute,recreation etc. are meant to mean the same thing in the car hobby but I still just call `em clones as I think it best decribes them.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009 - 09:19:41 AM »
Mine will be close to original but what I call mine is my Dream Car.  It is my car and I want it like I want it. 
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline cj

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009 - 09:49:51 AM »
Do what you want to your car (except #'s swapping), call it what you want (except original).  Just don't try to con a buyer into believing it's something it's not.  I'm tired of seeing 'original' 1972 AAR Cuda's, etc.
Cheryl
"Mopar or No Car"
1973 Challenger
1974 Barracuda
2006 Charger Daytona Torred

Offline DavidSL

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009 - 10:24:01 AM »
I guess this brings up the question how do you tell if a car is cloned - especially if someone replicates the VIN tags?

moparniac

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009 - 10:52:53 AM »
I guess this brings up the question how do you tell if a car is cloned - especially if someone replicates the VIN tags?

Look at the M's and W's ...... its noticable if you know what your looking for..... I used to have a pic of two tags to see  :working:

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009 - 11:19:37 AM »
Build it like you want it, call it whatever you want, just don't try and misrepresent what it is when it comes time to sell it.    :2cents:
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"