Author Topic: hood insulation...was it in a package?  (Read 1716 times)

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
hood insulation...was it in a package?
« on: September 17, 2009 - 11:17:34 AM »
Was hood insulation a package deal?  My dad remembers the car having an insulation pad on the hood and the plastic clips are still there.  The reason I ask is that I've heard that the pad was in a package with the factory undercoating.  Is that true?  The car was completly undercoated but dad always said he had the dealership apply it after he bought it.  Now he can't remember if he had it done or if it came that way.  Would the code be on the fender tag?

I decoded my fender tag online once and there was a code that conflicted with what my "Red Book" says and it had to do with the hood.  I don't remember what code it is off the top of my head but one soarce said the code was for the Rallye hood and the other soarse said it was for underhood insulation.   

Offline farmertan

Re: hood insulation...was it in a package?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009 - 01:04:32 PM »
The red book does say J55 undercoating w/hood insulator pad. My 73 has no J55 because the guy that bought it new had ziebart rust proof it, that was done through the dealership they would send the car over to ziebart.
73 340 4sp 2nd owner since 85    brett

Offline kissalien

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009 - 01:06:30 PM »
Yes, they were a package deal. J55 is correct for '73.

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009 - 01:22:34 PM »
So if J55 is on the tag...the whole bottom was undercoated?  There was no way to get the hood insulation without the undercoating?  Just want to make sure I'm understanding this right.

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009 - 08:29:18 PM »
J55 will be on the broadcast sheet, not the fender tag.

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009 - 08:45:45 PM »
It was J54 that was on the tag.  I knew it had something to do with the hood.  Why they put A57 and J54 on the tag when the Rallye hood was standard with A57 I don't know.

Well since I don't have the build sheet, I have to assume that since the car came with a hood pad that it was also factory undercoated.  I think the undercoating saved the car to tell you the truth.

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009 - 09:00:07 PM »
Hey, Alaskan_TA...I knkow you focus on the 70 modle but I know you have 73 info on your site.

I just looked through the owners manual and all the broshures that are in the plastic pouch.  There are some cool things in there.  I didn't know if you were interested in some of them for the site or not.  Maybe you already have them.

There is an "accessory" broshure, a "driving safety" broshure and another one that lists the main Chrysler head offices.  That one says something about how Chrysler is dedicated to excelent service or something like that.  There is also a vehicle warrenty statement that was signed by my dad and the origonal dealer.   

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009 - 09:32:59 PM »
Some of the stuff in the owners manual pouch is reproduced under license from Chrysler.

I can not use anything that someone has bought the reproduction rights too. Thanks though.  :wave:

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009 - 09:54:02 PM »
J55 will be on the broadcast sheet, not the fender tag.

:clueless:  My car has undercoating on it, and the original hood had a pad, but it doesn't show up on my fender tag either.   I wish CA assembly plants wouldnt of been trying so hard to take out the trash back then :bricks1: