Author Topic: Help, Body shop charges: Seem right ?  (Read 2812 times)

wagesofsin

Re: Help, Body shop charges: Seem right ?
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2009 - 06:34:44 PM »
dont sell your car!!!!!!!!!!!    :scared:

if you cant swing the cost, look to do it yourself. or sit on it a while, it will work out.
remember, everything happens for a reason.

i see e-bodies running around town all day, in fact we cruise around together, and have mini meets every day!

NOT!!!!!!!!!

ill go now, just food for thought.

Offline nick68

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2009 - 09:07:09 AM »
Well I bit the bullet and bought some DP epoxt primer and some surfacer. I also got some icing filler. I am now stripping the car of the old crap primer and will hit it with the epoxy.
"Did I mention I hate sanding ? "

Offline bentpshrods

• Almost there, Boise Id.
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2009 - 10:33:41 AM »
   I was in the same boat as you. I started to repaint my cuda last summer. I did'nt have the money to just have it done plus I wanted to learn how to do it myself. I was quoted $1000.0 to 1300.00 to have mine blasted (here in Idaho). I have more time than money so I bought a good variable speed buffer and some 80 grit pads with some aircraft stripper and took it down to bare metal myself. I have just finnished doing all the jambs and have started putting the fenders and doors back on to get the body painted .  It was a lot of work---a whole lot more  time and labor than I thought it would be but worth it in the end when you see that shiny new paint go on.  Just keep at it.

Offline nick68

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2009 - 09:25:32 AM »
Variable speed buffer sounds a whole lot faster than my 5 inch da sander.  What kind did you get ?

Offline bentpshrods

• Almost there, Boise Id.
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2009 - 01:27:46 PM »
    I went ahead and bought a good Makita for around $200.00 and got a 7'' hook and loop pad for it. Then I used 8'' 80 grit disks to strip with along with some aircraft stripper for a little extra help in some areas. Works pretty good but you still need to watch out that you can get the metal pretty hot if your not carefull.  Plus when I get it painted I can get some good pads and buff it out also. 

Offline nick68

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2009 - 02:23:04 PM »
makita is a good name brand. Gotta look into that.  "Did I mention I hate sanding ? "

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2009 - 05:20:30 PM »
you will love sanding by the time you`re done  :woo:

not...but it will feel sweet you did it yourself after you`re done... it`s a bit like wearing too small shoes, just for the pleasure of taking them off...  :biggrin:
*** Bart ***

Offline cudagirl4406pk

• Yes i am a Girl and No you cant drive my CUDA
    • Garageartmusclecars
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2009 - 05:35:49 PM »
Well nick restoring a car isnt cheap a good paint job with some small body work usually runs about 10k.Paint supplies are expensive my husband paints and the materials are getting quite high.His rate is $40 a hour and we are about 1 hour from delaware but if you want a super nice job it takes alot of time.There is alot of different sanding stages and you neve know what your going to run into once you go tobare metal.And blocking the car if you want a nice straight car take 3-4 times and that gets expensive.If you want to use a good but cheaper fill prime use slick sand by evercoat.Go to www.autobodytoolmart.com  they sell alot cheaper then the stores.About 61.00 a gallon he said u will need a 2.0-2.2 tip in your primer gun to spray due to it is a polymer primer.You must seal this primer with what paint your using if ppg use that sealer first same if dupont.If you shhot dupont on car use value shade for the color you going to spray only need one good wet coat he said.If you have other questions you can email him at showgoat67@hotmail.com  also we are going to ocean city md for the show in october are you coming down maybe we can meet you.

michele
Yes i am a girl and no you cant drive my MOPAR :)