Author Topic: Help, Body shop charges: Seem right ?  (Read 2817 times)

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
Re: Help, Body shop charges: Seem right ?
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2009 - 06:36:17 PM »
If the labor rate is comparable to other shops in the area, this seems like a pretty good deal. When you pull the motor, drop the k member out and put it on some casters, you will end up with a better paint job in the engine compartment, makes it easier for the painter to get in there as well. Sanding the car down might take a while for you to do by yourself and it might flash rust before you can get it to the painter. Depending on how you are going to sand it to bare metal, have you considered having the car blasted? Maybe the painter has worked with someone and you could get a deal.
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2009 - 10:03:48 PM »
Sounds like a good price for Beverly Hills, but Delaware??  :dunno: 
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline 4THECHALLENGE

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2009 - 11:45:42 PM »
Sounds like a good price for Beverly Hills, but Delaware??  :dunno:

ha ha ha that's funny.. I think it's a bit high but what's the car look like now? Post some pics itight help some of the guys that have more experience with bodywork.. I've been shopping for mine and i'm in the 5-10 range.

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2009 - 07:07:25 AM »
Those hours are not out of line for a top quality job so if the shop rate is Ok for your area than it`s not that bad a price.I wish I could get get $80/hour though!  :walkaway:
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline nick68

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2009 - 03:57:10 PM »
Did I mention I hate sanding ?  >:(  . I considered buying a soda blaster from eastwood for about 400 with 100 pounds of media. Do you think 100 pounds is enough ? I am not doing the underside. Or interior. Did I mention I hate sanding ? I got a quote for media blasting @ $1100.

Do most painters want tp start with a blank canvas ? I was going do the skim coat of filler, but he said I mess it up . What have you guys doen that have had your car painted ?  The body is not that bad of shape, and if I had used a 2k primer instead of Laquer   I would not have to remove the current primer. Anyone want a gallon of black laquer primer  :clueless: Heres a pic of the right side.
"Did I mention I hate sanding ? "

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2009 - 05:27:29 PM »
If it would cost $1,100 to blast, then $12.5K for the paint might not be quite as high as we might have thought.  You must be in a higher cost area.  Is part of the $1,100 include a primer spray after blasting, just to protect the metal from flash rusting?  That is definitely something you will want done, whether you do it yourself or not.  If this is a project you just want to get done, then if it was me I would pony up the money to get it blasted and be done with it.  If you are looking to save a few bucks, and have some free time on your hands, then your best bet will be to just gut it out and hand sand it to bare metal, then shoot the primer coat.  Personally I would not buy a blaster if it's a one-time only deal.  You'll be into it for $500-$600 by the time you're done, you run the risk of warping the hood and deck lid, and it will make one he11 of a mess.  Have you talked to the painter about possibly working a package deal with a blaster of his choice, so you just give him the car as is and pick it up finished?

Offline nick68

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2009 - 05:39:36 PM »
The $1100 is the cost to have the painter send it out to blast the body. It would then be in his hands to finish the car. I am kinda liking the idea of " just get r done"

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2009 - 05:50:06 PM »
 :2thumbs: If you are okay with the money, that is definitely what I would do.  It gives you good peace of mind that it will be done right, and much faster than if you chose to do it yourself.

Offline nick68

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2009 - 08:29:35 AM »
It's just a big chunk of change. I feel tempted to just sell it.

Offline 4THECHALLENGE

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2009 - 03:26:48 PM »
It's just a big chunk of change. I feel tempted to just sell it.
i get you. i was tempted to sell mine about a month ago, i spent over 1500 in about a week in just labor alone and i still need paint (estimates come back at 7500 and plus) some interior parts and the littl things like emblems etc. i really felt dissapointed but the more n more i look at the car i rrealize that im going to keep this car for as long as im able to drive it! besides that nothing on the road looks like it!

i really think that selling it should be based on how much you are into the cash?, how much money your tied into the car? and can you live without the car?

there are some good deals on challengers and cudas so it is a good time to buy one already restored that way you dont have to do all the legwork but refgardless of what you do... always keep in mind that when you see one of these going down the road you dont want to be the guy drooling and talking about how he had one but sold it. :burnout:

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2009 - 03:41:19 PM »
$1100 for blasting seems pretty reasonable to me. Last time I got a qoute to blast a car it was $1300 and that was about 4 years ago.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline nick68

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2009 - 04:21:23 PM »
$1100 for blasting seems pretty reasonable to me. Last time I got a qoute to blast a car it was $1300 and that was about 4 years ago.

Was that the bottom also ?

Offline nick68

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2009 - 04:23:00 PM »
i get you. i was tempted to sell mine about a month ago, i spent over 1500 in about a week in just labor alone and i still need paint (estimates come back at 7500 and plus) some interior parts and the littl things like emblems etc. i really felt dissapointed but the more n more i look at the car i rrealize that im going to keep this car for as long as im able to drive it! besides that nothing on the road looks like it!

i really think that selling it should be based on how much you are into the cash?, how much money your tied into the car? and can you live without the car?

there are some good deals on challengers and cudas so it is a good time to buy one already restored that way you dont have to do all the legwork but refgardless of what you do... always keep in mind that when you see one of these going down the road you dont want to be the guy drooling and talking about how he had one but sold it. :burnout:

I know exactly what your saying about the envy and drooling  :droolingbounce:

Offline Red R/T

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2009 - 04:39:38 PM »
Just got a price to blast my car.  Using plastic to remove paint and will use harsher material for any rust areas.  Quoted $1500 for the job but may be less depending on time.  He will blast the body, doors, engine bay, inside trunk, and roof.  I'm in CT so nothing is cheap.
1970 Challenger U code R/T SE

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2009 - 04:42:41 PM »
It's been so long I can't remember if that included the underside or not, but I don't think it did.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe