Author Topic: How Tuff Were The Oldies?  (Read 921 times)

moparniac

How Tuff Were The Oldies?
« on: September 17, 2009 - 09:40:03 PM »
You decide......

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
Re: How Tuff Were The Oldies?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009 - 09:47:17 PM »
Looks like the 59 had a lot of rust issues so not fair.    :stirpot:
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline erat340

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009 - 11:26:59 PM »
O K  take a look @ top veiw frame 1:24...RH fender separates from body without the slightest bend/deflection in the fender. Wonder what other bolts were left out or missing frame sections....you decide.

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009 - 11:29:08 PM »
Those frames were x frames not cross frame. So if hit like it was, it would do that forsure. Front impact would of been less damage but still totaled.

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009 - 10:46:19 AM »
Looks like the 59 had a lot of rust issues so not fair.    :stirpot:

I see no evidence of any rust issues.  I see a copper brown car that looks to be in great shape.   :poopoke:

O K  take a look @ top veiw frame 1:24...RH fender separates from body without the slightest bend/deflection in the fender. Wonder what other bolts were left out or missing frame sections....you decide.

I looked at it in HD and stopped the video at 0:36 - notice the fender deformation on the Bel Air as it's still attached at the top.  The bolts aren't left off, they shear off.

Three major differences that drastically improve survivability in 2009:

1.) Crush zones - the Malibu is designed to give up it's forward structure to absorb energy and protect the passenger compartment. 

2.) Better passenger compartment structural integrity - notice how the windshield stays in the Malibu and how the A-pillar doesn't deform.  The Bel Air windshield goes flying as much of the impact energy is transmitted into the A-pillar and door - the roof even deforms.  That energy also gets transmitted to the passenger compartment and to the passengers.

3.) Most important, passenger restraint systems.  The Bel Air would have, at best, lap belts, which are great for holding you in place around a curve, but do almost nothing to increase survivability in a head-on impact and, in fact, increase head/neck/spinal injuries when the occupant pivots at the waist and strikes his head against the dash or seat back of the front seat (for rear seat passengers.)  The Malibu has three-point belts, you can see the air bags go off and the Malibu has a cabin designed to minimize injuries with bodies striking objects inside. 
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline lemming303

• San Antonio, TX
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009 - 11:25:29 AM »
That was a pretty cool video. I'd like to see one with 70's cars in it.
Kevin

73 Challenger Rallye - first project

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009 - 10:30:19 PM »
That was a pretty cool video. I'd like to see one with 70's cars in it.

Not a video but a picture

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/7118/chargercrashtest.jpg
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009 - 11:00:49 PM »
I had a '70 Chrysler station wagon (called it the "Megawagon") with a 440 and I was rear-ended by a S-10 Chevy pickup of much newer 80's vintage. Don't know the exact speed he was traveling (I was stopped making a turn) but it was hard enough to jolt me good and knock the rear view mirror all out of wack. It twisted one of the bumperettes on the wagon bumper (I straighened it back with my hand) and about totalled the Chevy. The bumper was jamed up into the radiator, the hood was kinked about a foot in the air and the headlights and grille were indistiguishable. As he drove down the road antifreeze poured out.  He was drunk and emptied his pockets to keep me from calling the cops. $270 I recall.  :lol:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!