Adding ALTERKTION to my Challenger

Author Topic: Adding ALTERKTION to my Challenger  (Read 6033 times)

Offline EbodyPro572

• "Always restore, NEVER discard!"
Adding ALTERKTION to my Challenger
« on: September 19, 2009 - 06:39:54 PM »
Any opinions out there?  I've done a lot of research on the ALTERKTION front end for my 73 Challenger (Hell, it takes me usually 7 months to research and buy tires alone and that irritates my wife!).  Anyway, my front end is stock with plans for my 572 hemi and I know it will cost to find a hemi K-member so I'd rather put that money into the Alterktion set up.  What do you guys think?  At 60, I want to make sure i do things RIGHT since the years are ticking down.  Know what I mean?  Thanks in advance! Scott
'ALWAYS Restore.....NEVER Discard'
73 Challenger; 04 Rumble Bee (Yello, of course); 01 Vehicross (Yello, of course, too); 90 Allante' (not Yello, just red); 79 MGB-V8; 68 Century Resorter;
73 Marlin Ski (468" Olds) Jet Boat; 06 Harley Fat Boy CVO; 73 Yamaha Golf Cart (Yello, of course); 07 Sears Garden Tractor

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
Re: Adding ALTERKTION to my Challenger
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009 - 06:47:14 PM »
K members can be found really easy. Even Shumaker has an engine mount kit for your k member now, but you would be focusing on headers to fit. A k member is under a grand. Between 500-1000.  At 60 yrs old, I have to wonder how you will be driving this car and if it really warrants a high cost altercation kit. I dont know your goals, but the engine size for just some cruising seems big. You can still have a hemi car and enjoy it with less intense money spending.................Just me

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009 - 07:15:01 PM »
Go for it.

Will save some lbs on the front end and will make steering feel 21st century-like.  Just get one w/a sway bar (1 1/8"!).
'70 318-auto Chally 'vert
'71 383-auto 'Cuda 'vert (sold)
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009 - 09:15:52 PM »
I love my Alterkation Do it.
Than youll want the one for the back next.

Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline EbodyPro572

• "Always restore, NEVER discard!"
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009 - 10:57:57 AM »
I'm really a very young 60!  I bought and sold so many awesome cars years back to put the kids through college and buy that next home...........then, the first wife got everything (BAH!).  Had to see my 57 fuelie vette go, then my 33 Plymouth sedan, then my 65 big block vette, then my 67 Dart GT, then my 68 Dart GT.......some of you may know the feeling that comes on you when you have to do that.  I will look on ebay, etc. for replacement K-members but I'm pretty sure i will go with the alterktion.  I do APPRECIATE your comments and suggestions!  Scott
'ALWAYS Restore.....NEVER Discard'
73 Challenger; 04 Rumble Bee (Yello, of course); 01 Vehicross (Yello, of course, too); 90 Allante' (not Yello, just red); 79 MGB-V8; 68 Century Resorter;
73 Marlin Ski (468" Olds) Jet Boat; 06 Harley Fat Boy CVO; 73 Yamaha Golf Cart (Yello, of course); 07 Sears Garden Tractor

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009 - 12:52:14 AM »
the Alter K seems to be the best of the conversion crossmember systems , CAP is also a good system
Schumaker makes the swap kit to correctly bolt the Hemi onto the existing K frame tough without mods

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009 - 10:00:25 AM »
There are a number of members on here who have them and love them. They give you a great amount of flexibility in setting up and quickly chagning spring rates and ride height. They also will drop 150# off the nose of your car and give you loads more room in the engine bay where the torsion bars will be. They look great and will attract a lot of attention at shows.

The prices start at a few grand for the front and a few grand for the rear and go up from there. In casual driving, they won't necessarily increase the cars ability any further than a well engineered stock set up can do. Honestly, the tires only react to force. They don't care of that force comes from a coil, torsion, or leaf springs, so in that regard they are just another tool. The biggest advatange to coil overs is light weight and the ability to quickly change them.

So, it kind of comes down to goals or budget or desire. A good stock set up can be put together for $2500 front and rear. An equivilent AlterK will run you almost $5k front and rear.

Offline Confederate Cuda

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009 - 11:00:58 AM »
I have the Alterkation and it is a good system. The fit was excellent. The one drawback is the turning radius is much wider than stock.

Offline 73EStroker

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009 - 09:23:38 PM »
Check the prices again HP2. It will run you about $5000 just for the front alone with wilwood brakes and PS.
Barry (Salmon Arm)

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009 - 08:42:44 AM »
Wow, their prices have gone up some. I was looking at one of their kits for my Aspen several years ago, and it was around $3500 fully outfitted.

That makes a tuned up stock system look like an even better value since XV is offering their stage 1 kit for around $2500 and with diligetn shopping, you can source pieces individually for under $2k.

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009 - 08:52:05 AM »
I'm curious how this goes. My next project is to get my leaky azz steering gear rebuilt w a new pump but..... the alt set up would be way cool. Anyone know if my SSBC stuff wpould swap over... can you buy the set up w/o the wilwood brakes??
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline Confederate Cuda

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009 - 10:52:33 AM »
I'm curious how this goes. My next project is to get my leaky azz steering gear rebuilt w a new pump but..... the alt set up would be way cool. Anyone know if my SSBC stuff wpould swap over... can you buy the set up w/o the wilwood brakes??
You can buy the system without brakes but not sure if the SSBC stuff would work the Alterkation uses mustangII style spindles

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009 - 08:16:04 PM »
There are TONs of aftermarket and even OEM rotors,calipers that work w/Mustang II spindles; don't need SSBC.
'70 318-auto Chally 'vert
'71 383-auto 'Cuda 'vert (sold)
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009 - 09:46:46 PM »
Figured that but I like my SSBC's   mustangII brakes ppphhhttt plus $$ for the SSBC's....  :walkaway:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline kslush

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009 - 09:04:46 AM »
I can't say how happy I am with the alterktion front and rear suspension that is on the cuda!!  Bill makes a great product and backs it up with superior support.  I would say it is by far the best modification that was made to the car.  After driving the car with Bill's suspension setup and then driving a stock setup car...night and day!!  Go for it, you won't be disappointed.