Author Topic: How to polish chrome trim?  (Read 7109 times)

Offline 4THECHALLENGE

How to polish chrome trim?
« on: September 20, 2009 - 01:07:24 PM »
Hello there everyone hope all is well. I was looking at the chrome trim for the front of the car the rear and the side windows and it looks straight but it's dull. I tried blue magic and it's shinier but not great. Does anyone gave any advice on how to clean something like this really good? Should I buy like a rotary tool? And if so what end should I use...
Thanks

Offline 67vertman

• Sr. Resident
  • Member since 9-23-2005
Re: How to polish chrome trim?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009 - 04:52:13 PM »
More than likely the chrome is faded, pitted and or worn, and no amount of polishing is going to bring it back unless you re-chrome it.  Look closely at the trim piece, if there are a lot of pits, or if you can see the under layer of copper showing through, if so re-plating it is your only option.   

Ron - Born and raised in Southern California

I got the 1970 Cuda, but still need the hot blonde to ride shotgun!

First car -1969 Road Runner 383 4sp

Current ride - 1970 Barracuda 440-6 4 sp Dana 60  (4:10)

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009 - 05:11:52 PM »
What car are we talking about? It could be chrome or stainless.   :dunno:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline 67vertman

• Sr. Resident
  • Member since 9-23-2005
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009 - 05:49:45 PM »
What car are we talking about? It could be chrome or stainless.   :dunno:

That's true Mike.   :grinyes:

Ron - Born and raised in Southern California

I got the 1970 Cuda, but still need the hot blonde to ride shotgun!

First car -1969 Road Runner 383 4sp

Current ride - 1970 Barracuda 440-6 4 sp Dana 60  (4:10)

Offline 4THECHALLENGE

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009 - 05:54:55 PM »
It's a challenger and their not that bad. It's a ca car so their a little dull but not pitted or rusted or bent. I would just like a little mote shine because I'm mixing some new mouldings with new ones. 

Offline Red R/T

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009 - 04:54:47 PM »
All stainless can be buffed right back to a mirror finish.  I have a 10" buffer and with a little time and effort stainless looks good as new.  Aluminum will also buff to a mirror finish but won't look right unless it's annodized.  Pot metal is a hopeless cause.  If the stainless is scratched you can sand with 1500 - 3000 grit sand paper then buff it back to that mirror finish. 
1970 Challenger U code R/T SE

Offline E-Body Products

• E-Body Products
  • American Jobs Are Our Children's Future!
    • E-BODY PRODUCTS
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009 - 11:26:47 PM »
Some shops buff the aluminum and then clear coat it to prevent dulling.  I would be worried with yellowing.  The best method is re-anodize as RED R/T stated previously.

I also agree with the stainless restoration method described above.  You can even remove dents if you are patient.

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009 - 02:58:33 PM »
Like what was stated above...some of the trim is anodised.  If that is the case, buffing will only make it look more dull.  Re anodising is very expensive and may be just as much money as buying a new piece.

What year Challenger are we talking about?  I bought new tail panel trim from BE&A for my 73.  It was only $129 and looks amazing.  The 70 only rear trim is a little more $ but looks just as good.  BE&A also sells new headlight bezels for the 70-71's and the chrome headlight rings for the 72-74's.  Metro Parts sells the 72-74 grill mouldings for around $145.  It would be $200 to have my origonal grill moulding re anodised.

Another option is to strip the anodising off of the parts so you can polish them.  You would have to seal them after that though so they would keep thier shine.  I have heard that people use oven cleaner with lye in it to strip off the anodising. 

Offline matt63

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009 - 06:24:27 PM »
The last time I dealt with a trim polishing shop they said they stripped the anodizing before polishing.  I believe it is a chemical process.
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline Red R/T

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009 - 09:19:50 PM »
[Another option is to strip the anodising off of the parts so you can polish them.  You would have to seal them after that though so they would keep thier shine.  I have heard that people use oven cleaner with lye in it to strip off the anodising.
[/quote]

Eastwood sells a product that removes anodizing but I just sanded it off.  Yes it does take some elbow grease but can be done.  I made my own jig out of wood and straightened then polished the hood and trunk lip molding.  Don't be afraid to sand with some coarse grit sandpaper and then progress to finer grits ending at 2000 to 3000.  Then polish (no more than 2800 RPM for aluminum) to a brilliant shine.  I used Eastwoods "Diamond Clear" and it dulled the trim to about the same sheen as an anodized part.  Most of my friends didn't even notice until I showed them. 
One other thing.  With stainless you have to have a flawless product before you final polish.  If not, every little scratch and dent will be amplified.  Try it, it's fun to do it yourself.
1970 Challenger U code R/T SE

Offline 70Cuda

• 70 Cuda 383 70 Challenger 440+6 71 Challenger 383
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009 - 12:25:11 AM »
I re-did all the stainless and aluminum on my 70 Cuda and it is a lot of work but it can be done and looks great in the end.  I removed dents, took out serious scratches and even buffed the small and fragile grille trim.  Also, I even redid my emblems on my '71 Challenger R/T.

For the stainless start by getting it straight which can mean hammering, filing sanding down and some repeat then you can buff it out nicely using the three different Eastwood buffing wheels for stainless (rough to fine) along with the right compounds and do keep them seperate - don't mix compounds on the same buffing pad and I bagged all my pads and compounds together to keep it straight.  I used a 3/4" pedestal buffer.

For the aluminum trim, I started out by stripping it at lower pressure using glass beads in a blaster and then used the Eastwood aluminum buffing products and in the end used the Eastwood clear over the top to protect it and it has held up fine.  Eastwood has different clears including crystal so pick whatever you like and you should be fine.

On the emblems, I kind of did this for fun on a driver and stuck with the single color black shaded ones and once again started off by blasting them clean and then painted them with SEM trim black and then mounted them (these were emblems with pins) to a board and then laid sandpaper out on a flat table and proceeded to sand the paint off the raised part of the emblem until I was happy with it using finer paper while not sanding all all the way through the chrome.  I think I tried some buffing in the end too.

Anyway, you can spend a lot of time doing this and should get a good mask (probably full face) and gloves but it is doable and you can save some good money doing it.  I'd start with a throw-away piece and give it a try and get the buffing motion down.  I did lose a couple of pieces to the buffer and suggest you only have one pad on at a time to help avoid having the other side grab your work.

Good luck, hope this helped.

Offline 4THECHALLENGE

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009 - 11:43:06 PM »
thank u 70 cuda  :jumping:
can i ask how do u fill any openings or dents ?
thanks
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009 - 11:52:40 PM by 4THECHALLENGE »

Offline purple1

• Worlds first e-body trailer. Member since 3/10/05
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2009 - 10:54:09 AM »
I posted about this a while back. I may be able to help with the aluminum trim. I have restored 71 Challenger headlight bezels and the hood and tail panel trim as well.

The key is to get all the dents hammered out first. I had to make my own tools for this. It just takes time and go easy. Next all of the anodize has to be removed. Either a chemical strip or just sand it all off. Then sand with finer and finer grit. Once you get to that point start buffing with an aluminum compound.

I did not worry about re-anodizing. The aluminum can always be repolished that way later if it gets dull. I just keep it waxed good.

Most of the pictures are gone but here are some of the threads on the subject...
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=36160.0
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=57218.0

Hope this helps.

Dave :wave:
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009 - 11:23:43 AM by purple1 »

Dave

Worlds first e-body trailer.    Severna Park, Maryland

Offline 70Cuda

• 70 Cuda 383 70 Challenger 440+6 71 Challenger 383
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2009 - 09:51:10 PM »
Right, there is no filling.

You hammer it as flat as you can and even a little higher than needed and then you file, grind, and/or sand it down to flat and then polish it to you desired finish.  My aluminum with clear still looks good and I haven't had to redo it.