Author Topic: Rear Window Installation Procedure Needed  (Read 4075 times)

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
Re: Rear Window Installation Procedure Needed
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2009 - 07:19:56 PM »
Have you tried an auto parts store yet?
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline cwestra

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2009 - 07:29:17 PM »
Have you tried an auto parts store yet?
No.  I'll probably call around tomorrow.
Corey - in Northern Indiana

Offline 73EStroker

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2009 - 09:24:12 PM »
Cwestra - yes you should be able to get the etch compound from the supplier of the sealer tape. It comes in a small plastic container with one of those round fluffy balls, attached to the cap, to use as an applicator. In Canada it is about $18 per bottle. one bottle good for both ends. Do the glass and the painted metal. You need a good steady hand for the glass otherwise you will see the black from outside the car.
Barry (Salmon Arm)

Offline cwestra

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2009 - 06:50:13 AM »
Cwestra - yes you should be able to get the etch compound from the supplier of the sealer tape. It comes in a small plastic container with one of those round fluffy balls, attached to the cap, to use as an applicator. In Canada it is about $18 per bottle. one bottle good for both ends. Do the glass and the painted metal. You need a good steady hand for the glass otherwise you will see the black from outside the car.
Great.  Thanks a lot.

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2010 - 07:03:22 PM »
how do I make sure I have the correct height for the glass?  is there a way to measure so the trim won`t have gaps or sit too high ( or won`t grab the clips... )
*** Bart ***

Offline RB2929

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2010 - 08:11:36 PM »
Dutch-
My car had three little rubber spacers.
About an inch long, by a 1/4 inch tall, as well as deep.
- Sorry, I'm an American, thus I don't know metric  :o
But, the spacers, placed on the bottom of the window opening are necessary (that's what I was told, anyway).
Since they are behind the chrome trim, vinyl roof, and covered in caulking, I can't take true measurements.

Hope that helps,
Ron

OxfordMotorSports

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2010 - 09:30:45 PM »
3M Windo-Weld Super Fast Urethane adhesive/sealant -

3M Rapid Two-Part Urethane Windshield Adhesive (RTP) -

Only the best. Stick with 3M products. They are the best.

That applies to buffing your new paint out too.

Todd

Oxford Motor Sports

New York Customs

www.newyorkcustomauto@yahoo.com

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2010 - 04:52:41 AM »
thanks guys,  I know I need them spacers to keep the glass in position, but what I meant was how deep the glass is supposed to sit. If it`s too high I won`t be able to get the trim on...?  forgive my ignorance, first time glass fitter here....... and I hate doing stuff twice  :misbehaving:
*** Bart ***

Offline cwestra

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2010 - 09:40:43 AM »
thanks guys,  I know I need them spacers to keep the glass in position, but what I meant was how deep the glass is supposed to sit. If it`s too high I won`t be able to get the trim on...?  forgive my ignorance, first time glass fitter here....... and I hate doing stuff twice  :misbehaving:
When I did mine last year I used the pre-formed bead.  That maintains the correct distance off the window flange.  It was a fairly easy job, especially considering I had never done it before.  Good luck.

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2010 - 09:50:56 AM »
Is that the 3M ribbon sealer, mentioned before in this thread?   was that 5/16?
did you do anything to prevent water staying on the dutchmanpanel, underneath the trim?
*** Bart ***

Offline cwestra

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2010 - 10:19:35 AM »
Is that the 3M ribbon sealer, mentioned before in this thread?   was that 5/16?
did you do anything to prevent water staying on the dutchmanpanel, underneath the trim?
I don't recall if it was 3M but it was 5/16 Butyl Tape ($6.00).  One roll easily does a windshield or rear window.  Before installing the tape I used SRP 5025 primer ($6.00) on flange and back side of window. I masked off a line on the window first to be sure I didn't get it too far in where it would be seen with the trim on, as it is dark blue.  Then I installed the glass.  With it positioned, I used the caulk in the picture below ($9.00) to fill in the area, blending into the flange and where the butyl meets up with the window.  The stuff is sticky and very "stringy" when you pull the caulk gun away.  To minimize clean-up I ended up masking off the area around the window with paper, as you'll probably get the caulk on it otherwise.  I think you can fill in the gap as much as you like with this.  I did a pretty good amount so it wouldn't leave a place to collect water, as you mentioned.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010 - 10:22:34 AM by cwestra »

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2010 - 11:40:11 AM »
thanks a bunch, great info  :2thumbs:
anyone have tips on how to remove the remains of the old glue from the glass...?
*** Bart ***

OxfordMotorSports

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2010 - 01:18:48 PM »
thanks a bunch, great info  :2thumbs:
anyone have tips on how to remove the remains of the old glue from the glass...?

First remove all of the excess material that you can Dutch. Then you can either use a solution of lye dissolved in tetra hydro furan, which is brutal, or you can simply use 100% mineral spirits and a non abrasive scouring pad. If you choose step one protect yourself well.

Todd

OMS

NYC

www.newyorkcustomauto@yahoo.com

Offline matt63

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2010 - 03:53:49 PM »
Just remember to inspect and replace all damaged trim clips once the glass is out.

Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2010 - 05:30:57 PM »
I installed new clips.
the butyl tape is not available here anymore.  I got an installation kit by Saint Gobain which includes primer degreaser and sealer. Cut some spacers from window sealer for the correct hight of the glass, and glued it in.  :2thumbs:
*** Bart ***