Share some "doh!" homer Simpson moments on your e body.

Author Topic: Share some "doh!" homer Simpson moments on your e body.  (Read 2430 times)

Offline 4THECHALLENGE

Share some "doh!" homer Simpson moments on your e body.
« on: September 23, 2009 - 02:00:18 AM »
I figured I'd start a thread on all the homer Simpson moments  I've had with my challenger or any other muscle car. Here goes

I did the rear brakes on my 95 t/a and was in such a hurry that I only installed the top caliper bolt. The next day I woke up, took my sister to school and on the way back home I stop at a major street with a stoplight so I stop, hit the gas and the car won't move.. Well the left rear  wheel wants to move n u can feel it but the right side just scrapes... X( I'm holding all traffic it's rush hour.. And I'm wearing pajamas! Well I finally find out that the caliper is traveling up and locking with te wheel because it's missing the upper bolt and it's scrapping the wheel real bad.. So I drove the car in reverse till I got home and put the bolt back on.. Then it was ok.. But it scared me straight!

The second time was when I walked in to this junkyard saw my challenger a 1974 318 car, thought it was a cuda n bought it.. Started reading on it and found out it was a challenger :( doh!   
What's yours?

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Re: Share some "doh!" homer Simpson moments on your e body.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009 - 10:20:57 AM »
 I'm sure there are many and my propensity to put anything that can be backwards the 1st time around not withstanding one little episode comes to mind.
 Our good buddy Alan gave me a carb to use on my 340... Trying to get things working correctly I would pull the plugs to check if they were firing or wet.  Alan stops by one day & we fire the ole girl up & try to tune the carb to get her running smooth but to no avail.  Sometime later I'm messing around the engine & see at least part of the problem....#s 6 & 8 plug wires are dangling behind the head... Ran much smoother with those connected for some reason.  :clueless:
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009 - 10:26:57 AM »
If Homer Simpson owned a Cuda/Challenger, he would probably put a Super Bird wing on it don't you think?

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009 - 10:32:11 AM »
Dumb is easy, admitting to it is hard...........but honest. I was "allowing a young neighborhood kid help me one day to change oil. Long story short I get a phone call while he is putting the catch container under the oil pan. When I come back out I smell a familiar oder, look underneath and sure enough he has drained the transmition fluid. I aks him,"Why the hell did you do that?" He told me that was the "bolt" I pointed to when showning him what we were going to do next. Honestly, I'm still not convinced I did...................but dumb is easy.
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline farmertan

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009 - 10:40:18 AM »
Back in 85 going to an air show in muskegon mi minding my own business on the highway and my friend pulled up along side of me in his nova so I slammed it into 3rd and punched the gas well the clutch exploded and there we sat for a couple hours until my dad could come and pull his retarded kid home.doh!!
73 340 4sp 2nd owner since 85    brett

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009 - 10:48:18 AM »
First story is of my 2004 SRT4 neon. I needed to replace the brake pads on the front of the car, so I loosened both front wheels and jacked up the car. When i pulled the passenger caliper I discovered the parts store sold me the wrong pads, frustrated I put the passenger wheel back on and lowered the car (forgetting that I also loosened the drivers wheel lug nuts). The next morning I leave for school and make it about 100 yeards down the road before the drivers front wheel fell off and I had to chase after it (another 300 yards or so) on foot. Learned a valuable lesson that day, luckily it only cost me a rotor. From then on I only bought parts for that car at the dealership.

Recently on the Challenger I rebuilt a 727 for it, but neglected to replace the converter when I put it back in the car. The old converter had some problems and some crap got into the transmission. Took the transmission to a shop and they repaired it for me.

A couple of years ago I built a 73 Duster with a 383. The first time my Dad and I went to start it we couldn't get it to run and it behaved almost like the distributor was 180 degrees out. I told my Dad that I checked and double checked the distributor was in correctly. Finally after messing with it for a good half hour I decided to check the distributor one more time and sure enough it was in 180 out, I felt so stupid.

The first time my Dad and I went to start my 71 cuda we fought with it for a couple of hours and couldn't get it to start. Finally I discovered that the Mopar electronic ignition box wasn't grounding to the body. Added a ground and it started right up.
I'm sure there are plenty other Homer moments on my Challenger over the last 12 years of ownership, but none that come to mind at the moment.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009 - 10:51:39 AM by 72hemi »
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009 - 10:49:09 AM »
Dumb is easy, admitting to it is hard...........but honest. I was "allowing a young neighborhood kid help me one day to change oil. Long story short I get a phone call while he is putting the catch container under the oil pan. When I come back out I smell a familiar oder, look underneath and sure enough he has drained the transmition fluid. I aks him,"Why the hell did you do that?" He told me that was the "bolt" I pointed to when showning him what we were going to do next. Honestly, I'm still not convinced I did...................but dumb is easy.

That's the exact reason the factory doesn't put a drain plug on the trans pan.  That has now lead to the factories not putting dipsticks on the transmissions either.

My dad accidentally put brake fluid in the trans on his old Ford Taurus wagon.  A short time later, one of the tranny cooler lines swelled and blew...toasting the trans in the process.   

Offline burnt orange

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009 - 12:10:44 PM »
Hmmm, so many blunders, so little space!

Perhaps the stupidest is cutting the front floorboards out. 

I'm old and large and after getting my arthritic body folded up into the car, I started cutting with my scroll saw.  It crossed my mind momentarily that I should check to see if there is anything under there that shouldn't be cut......naww, that would mean getting unfolded, crawling under the car with all the spiders, dirt and rust, and looking, probably seeing nothing, and then folding myself back into the car again.

So, throw caution to the wind and start cutting! 

Hmmm, why is there suddenly a real strong smell of gas and a wet patch appearing on the floor pan?  :scared:

Thank God I wasn't using my angle grinder!!!!!  Sparks + gas = BBQ

I finished draining the tank through a tiny gas line, let the spilled gas evaporate, and finished the cut after checking the rest of the area under the passenger floor.

Now.....tackle the drivers floor next.  Spiders, crawling around, rust and dirt falling in my eyes...Can't be anything under there, right?  Well, I am just SO STUPID.........

Anybody know where I can get a new speedometer cable???   :faint:

Yes, I have learned my lesson.
< ° ) ) >< 

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009 - 01:44:40 PM »
My first D'OH!!   :misbehaving:  moment working on a car was my first time working on one.  I was in 7th grade and my brother was in 5th.  My Dad brought home new plug wires for his '75 Pontiac Ventura and my brother and I were going to help him change them.  He opened the hood, then went in the house for something.  My brother and I decided to get started, so we pulled all the old wires off the distributor, knowing nothing about firing order.  My Dad came out and, since he didn't have a manual, you can imagine he was pretty  :swear:.  I don't recall how it got fixed - if he called someone to come over and help or what.  That was a great car - I learned to drive in it, got my first warning in it, got...no, that didn't happen.  :roflsmiley:

Managed to mess up on my first repair project on my own first car, a '75 Civic CVCC.  I decided it also needed a tune-up, which in that car involved changing points.  Well, I misunderstood the instructions in the Chiltons manual I was using and tried to take the base plate out too - but not without dropping one of the tiny little screws down into the bowels of the distributor, where I couldn't fish it out.  Fortunately, we lived at the top of a hill and there was a service station that still had a garage at the bottom, so my brother and I rolled the car down the hill and pushed it into the service station. 

This car was also somewhat unique for a four-banger in that the intake and exhaust ports were on the same side of the head, with the intake manifold above the exhaust manifold and the whole shebang bolted together by four long bolts.  The exhaust manifold on the '75 CVCC was different from the later models in that it had internal baffling, which had a tendency to collapse over time, particularly if the engine wasn't kept in perfect tune, which mine wasn't. (I was a poor college kid at the time and made the mistake of driving to Vegas on the hottest day of the year, an inch from overheating all the way, which warped that poor aluminum head.  I drove it that way for a couple of years because I couldn't afford to fix it.)  Anyway, shortly after I bought the car, the manifold baffling fell apart and the manifold needed to be replaced.  My dad took me to the dealership and helped pay for it, then showed me the receipt where the new factory manifold cost over $300 - in 1984.   

A couple of years later, the manifold baffling fell apart again. As the aforementioned poor college kid, I wasn't ever going to pay that much again to replace a manifold, so I went to the local dismantler and paid $35 for a used manifold.  To get to the manifold, I had to remove the carb, then the intake manifold and finally the exhaust manifold.  Only...the aforementioned bolts that fastened the manifolds together were frozen - and when I put my socket to it, it stripped the corners.  Drenched them in WD-40 - still stuck.  :banghead:  I tried a wrench, vise-grips, channel locks...wouldn't budge.   :pullinghair:  I rented a drill and tried to drill the bolt head to use an extractor  :screwy: - no luck.  Finally, I called the mechanic I went to for things that were beyond my scope and he said "Did you try a six-point socket?"  A what?   :bricks1:  Bought some six-point sockets, put the 12 mm on...and away it went.   :dupe:  Car was down for two days.  Later, I got so I could do the entire job in six hours, including going to the local pick-a-part to pull one off a wreck.  I learned a lot from that car, especially after I got a copy of "How to Keep Your Honda Alive: A Step-by-Step Manual for the Compleat Idiot" as a gift; best manual for the beginning mechanic I've ever seen.

Oh, but this is about E-bodies.  Biggest blunder I ever made - taking this one apart, because I don't have the money to pay someone to do it right or the skills to do it myself and can't make myself put it back together wrong.   :walkaway:
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline 4THECHALLENGE

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009 - 04:53:54 PM »
these are great keep em coming  :roflsmiley:

Offline MOPAR FANATIC

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009 - 06:33:57 PM »
 :faint: one off the top of my head,a couple of months ago on my daily driver, 99 mercury cougar.doing a front break job,all back together with brand new rotors and pads,go to test them out and back out the drive way GRRRRRIIIINNNNNND.it was already dark and i was going to my buddys house so i said i'll check it tommorrow.well next day took a look and well and behold i installed one of the brake pads reversed so can you say metal to metal on brand new rotors. DUPE..........
well filed the rotor flat as i could without taking it to the garage to get turned.still driving it now.but what a bart mistake.

p/s trust me theres others.  :lol:  :cheers:
71 Challenger 340 a/t
2013 Plum Crazy Hemi R/T 6SPD

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009 - 07:26:46 PM »
Put the distributor in 180* out of phase, and swear you have it right no matter how many back fires thru the carb.

:bricks1:     :bricks1:   :bricks1:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2009 - 08:06:42 PM »
Here is the first one that popped into my head. I was putting some newly rebuilt heads, a cam and stuff into my 400. I had placed the distributor on the shelf and right by some other ones I have. When it came time to install the distributor again I got it off the shelf and put it back on. No problems right? I even used a degree wheel to install the cam and 3 bolt timing chain. Line everything up and leave the distributor just loose enough to move by hand and fire it over......wierd cranking noise and a backfire. I scratched my head because I was sure I did not have the thing 180 degrees out but the sound was unmistakable. I pop off the cap, turn the rotor around and pop the cap back on.........Same thing, weird sounds and backfires. I am really whigging out now because my options are gone as far as I am concerned. For some reason I go to the shelf and look at the other distributors laying there, hmm, this one is the other ones twin except for the purple tag on the one I installed. To make a long story short I had popped a distributor off my 340 on the engine. The big block and small block distributors rotate in different directions....    :stomp:    In short order the engine was running and I was breaking in the cam lol.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

wagesofsin

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009 - 08:08:54 PM »
i just recently got my car driveable,  :2thumbs:

and have been driving the wheels off of it.   :burnout:

well...

i almost drove the steering column outta it, as i forgot to drive the roll pin in the coupler.!!!!   :banghead:

thats my "doh" moment.

Offline sprecks

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009 - 08:28:56 PM »
Back when I was in Uncle Sam's Canoe Club I had a 71 383 Challenger. I rebuilt the engine the weekend before we were going to deploy on a four month "adventure". I really wanted to get that puppy runining before we left but couldn't get it to fire. It kept popping back through the carb. I figured it must have been out 180. Nope it was still backfiring. Time ran out and I had to go. I was out on patrol about a month into the run and it dawned on me what the problem was. I had the firing order backwards on the distributor cap. 3 months later when we got back, I reversed the wiring on the cap and it fired right up. DOH.

I have another one but I'm too embarrased to tell it in public right now. Maybe some other time.
you can call me Jay
I've seen sicker dogs get well.

1971 Challenger Vert - 472 Hemi EFI
1969 Road Runner 440/Auto
2017 Ram Laramie 1500 - Hemi