Author Topic: Share some "doh!" homer Simpson moments on your e body.  (Read 2428 times)

Offline EDGEFIND

Re: Share some "doh!" homer Simpson moments on your e body.
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2009 - 08:39:42 PM »
Thanks guys. Being an amateur to the vehicle repair/maintenance world, I'm glad I'm not alone in dumb mistakes. Reading these definitely makes me feel better about some of my screw ups. :eek4:
-Jay, J.J., James, Jimmy Joe...I answer to all of them.

Offline bentpshrods

• Almost there, Boise Id.
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2009 - 11:23:51 PM »
   Being young and foolish when I bought my car the first thing I did was to tear out the power steering, AC, fog lights ect. to make it a street/drag car.  I then bored the motor .030, put in to big a cam and changed the stock rocker arms to the cast iron adjustable ones. When I put the motor together I was in a big hurry to get it built before I had to leave for my first semester of college. I got the thing together and in late on a Saturday night and had to leave the next day.  So early Sunday morning I fired it up. It ran for about 1 minute and then promtly lost all oil pressure.   :clueless:   After fiddleing with it for an hour and time running out we finally figured out I had put the rocker shafts in the way they came out---with the oil holes facing towards the bottom for the stock rocker arms.  The only problem was the adjustable rockers have the oil holes on top.  When the oil made it to the rocker arms it was blocked off from going any farther.  DOH.  Refired it and had good oil pressure so as it was idleing I was loading the last of my stuff.  After running it to get things hot and some what broke in I shut it off and pushed it to the back of my dads yard--and off I went.   When I came home for christmas break I went out and checked on my car. It had been an awfully cold winter and when I opened the hood I saw 2 freeze plugs laying on the ground.    :22yikes:  YEP- in my panic to get it fired I had put straigh water in the radiator.  DOH #2!!!!!   I just shut the hood and walked away.  The only thing that saved me was they were fresh plugs and they did there job.  That spring I got it fired up again. I was sure nervous for awhile but every thing turned out ok. 

Offline JH27N0B

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2009 - 12:14:47 AM »
A couple events I remember, when I was 16 my dad said I could change the oil in his Buick.  I didn't take a very good look at the oil filter before I screwed it on. I put the oil in and started the engine.  I waited for the oil light to go out, but it didn't, so I shut the engine off and got out to check.  I found all the fresh oil streaming all over the driveway.  Apparently it was the wrong oil filter!  My dad was pissed at me for not checking the oil filter to make sure it was the correct one before installing it.  But... he was the one who gave me the filter and told me it was the right one!  :dunno:
A year or two later I was out in the driveway trying to fine tune my T/A.  I left it running while I went in the garage to get a tool, not thinking to set the parking brake. I turned around to see my car rolling down the driveway, continue across the street, and then bounce over the curb up into the neighbor's yard! Thankfully there were no cars driving down the street at that instant, or anyone parked across the street from the house, or else the story would have had a much sadder ending!

Offline cudadave72

• you motorboatin sob!!!
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2009 - 09:20:01 AM »
My biggest "stupid" moment came when I was finishing up my 396 stroker engine install on my 1995 Pontiac Formula and forgot to bolt down the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail. I had just spent over 20k on the build up of the car. I let the engine builder take it out for the first spin. 20 minutes latter he is running back to the shop yelling like a mad man. Asked him what happened and he told me the car caught on fire!!!! Luckily he pulled over at a buddies shop that had a fire extinguster and put it out right away. Still lots of smoke damage and melted plastic. It hurt my ego more than it did the car. Now I double check everything and carry a fire extingisher just in case!!!
1972 BS23 H code Cuda, B5 blue, 340 streched to 416 cu in, 727 w/ 8 3/4 rear, 7.23 in the 1/8 mile and 11.38@117mph in the 1/4 on drag radials   Under restoration! Coming soon... 440cuin R3 Indy SMALL BLOCK monster!!!!

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2009 - 09:43:01 AM »
              Who Will Win The Homer?

Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2009 - 02:15:21 PM »
i just recently got my car driveable,  :2thumbs:

and have been driving the wheels off of it.   :burnout:

well...

i almost drove the steering column outta it, as i forgot to drive the roll pin in the coupler.!!!!   :banghead:

thats my "doh" moment.

THAT coulda been ugly!   :22yikes:
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2009 - 03:10:31 PM »
Here's a couple:

1. On my 1980 LeBaron, jacked up the rear to put some Cragar S/S's on it.  Didn't block the front wheels and the car started tipping off the jack.  Me and a buddy actually saved it... :screwy:

2. Same LeBaron, driving along after a tire rotation and I hear clunk, clunk, clunk coming off the left front...sure enough lug nuts not torqued.

3. On the 'Cuda, for engine break-in I had tied the ammeter leads together.  Afterwards, I pulled them apart for interior install.  A buddy came over and wanted to hear the motor fire.  I put the key in and.....nothing.  Played with the shifter, the battery, etc.  Remembered/found it the next day.  :banghead:

Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline Fred

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2009 - 03:52:26 PM »
1.  Added some traction bars and immediately broke a left motor mount...engine hits the hood and everything....

2.  Many years ago I added some antifreeze (but it wasn't, because it was my temporary container of Roundup).  Anyway, the thing overheating and the stuff sprayed everywhere under the hood.  What a mess!  Some areas under my hood are still messed up :banghead:

Offline 4THECHALLENGE

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2009 - 08:20:17 PM »
 :smilielol:

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2009 - 09:12:56 PM »
Gosh,
I don't feel so bad now. I'm in good company. Back in the 80's when I had my '73 Cuda, I had Holley carb problems (later found out it was a factory defect) & couldn't get the car running right. I got so mad & slammed the driver's door which had the window partially down. It exploded....glass everywhere!! DOH!!

Then about a month later I pulled the intake & carb for an upgrade. I took the whole thing into my utility room to clean. It's a concrete floor and has basically nothing but my washer & dryer and GAS hot water heater. I turned the whole setup (carb with intake) upsidedown to scrape off the old gasket as I watched the stream of gas from the carb head for the pilot light. Guess what... :dunno: Poof. I had fire. It was scary there for a minute, but I managed to put it out with my brother's nice leather coat. DOH!!! Fortunately the only damage was a leather coat! :roflsmiley:

Matt B.
Matt

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2009 - 09:21:58 AM »
Too many e-bodies "doh" moments to choose from for me to list here right now...so I will instead dig back into my files to a learning experience.

My father had a 56 Mercury 4 door....sweet old car...back in the 80s.  He had rebuilt the brake master cylinder and apparently something wasn't back together quite right.....   Now, our house sat at the top of a hill...the garage was in the back, facing the hill, which extended down a good 200 yards...straight down, with other houses right at the bottom  Behind our house and  integral garage was a concrete pad about 1.5 car lengths deep....Just enough to back the car out of the garage and then proceed up the driveway, to the side of the house. The edge of the pad dropped to the hillside downward.  Straight down.

Well, we reinstalled the master cylinder and dad proceeded to jump in and back the car up a bit......the master cylinder failed and the heavy car rolled toward the back of the concrete pad and over it....the middle of the car's frame grounded itself on the edge of the pad and the car sat there dangling its rear half over this 30 degree sloped hill.

Me and my brother decided that we would help by running to the back of the car and try to hold it from going down over the hill.  Did I mention that I was about 14 and my brother about 12? 

As we stood there trying to brace this huge car from rolling over to total disaster, we got a real good view of the undercarriage of the car....LOL

Mom ran out and tried to help too, throwing herself at the rear corner of the car.....yellin at us kids to get out of there....

When we all realized that we had put ourselves in harm's way and that a 14 year old, 12 year old and 40 year old lady aint gonna stop a 2 ton+ car from rolling backwards over a hill, my brother and I ran and got a neighbor who had chains and he used our Plymouth Trailduster to drag the car back onto the pad.

Poor Dad sat in the car the whole time holding what was left of the brakes on....although I really do think that
the only thing that stopped the car was good old fashioned friction, of the frame resting on the pad's edge.....

So, plenty of Homer moments that day.......first, leave master cylinder rebuilds to the pros.  second, have some sort of barrier when the concrete pad behind the garage faces a 200 yard, 30 degree downhill, third use chocks placed a few feet behind the wheels when testing brakes on a car parked at the top of a 200 yeard, 30 degree downhill, and finally, realize that a couple of kids are not going to stop a 4,000 lb behemoth from rolling over a hill.... :bigsmile:

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2009 - 09:44:28 AM »
On my E-body, went out to start the car- no start...I figured this was a good time to check all the wiring and use that road side trouble shooting guide from Mopar Action...about 45 minutes later of checking all the wires/connections/ohms, I found the problem.

The gas tank was empty.  :faint:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline 4THECHALLENGE

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2009 - 06:34:24 AM »
On my E-body, went out to start the car- no start...I figured this was a good time to check all the wiring and use that road side trouble shooting guide from Mopar Action...about 45 minutes later of checking all the wires/connections/ohms, I found the problem.

That one just happened to me last week
doh!

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2009 - 07:51:15 AM »

But, in your defense, the gas gauges on these cars seem to be so innaccurate, cant really blame you!  LOL :bigsmile:

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2009 - 09:54:17 AM »
When i melted the lexan in my brand new windshield with a Halogen light.   :faint:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100