Author Topic: 383 timing  (Read 1257 times)

Offline kmyles

383 timing
« on: September 29, 2009 - 12:39:42 AM »
How do you set the timing if the timing tab is missing?? Does anyone have a picture of where it suppose to be on the front of the engine???

THX :2thumbs:
_________
Kevin

Mopar Lover....Cuda's....Challengers Rule!!!!
- 1951 Dodge - 2 door hardtop (Sold!!)
- 1971 Dodge Challenger
- 2012 Dodge Challenger Yellowjacket

Hard to believe what 20 years will do!!!!

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: 383 timing
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009 - 02:58:44 AM »
I do not use a timing light, i typically limit or disconnect the vacuum advance permanently , turn up the ide speed to 2500 + RPM & advance the timing until the rpm quits rising then back it off until the RPM just drops slightly & set the timing there & return the idle speed to normal . If it pings back it off just a couple more degrees

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009 - 09:47:21 AM »
How do you set the timing if the timing tab is missing?? Does anyone have a picture of where it suppose to be on the front of the engine???

THX :2thumbs:

Small blocks have it on the driver's side as part of the timing chain housing. Look under the water pump, driver's side.

Big blocks usually have them on the passenger side, under the water pump too, mounted to the timing chain cover.
Nothing there?
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline kmyles

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009 - 10:55:15 AM »

Nothing there?

NothingI think it didn't get put back on with the rebuild. Anyone got any pics??

I do not use a timing light, i typically limit or disconnect the vacuum advance permanently , turn up the ide speed to 2500 + RPM & advance the timing until the rpm quits rising then back it off until the RPM just drops slightly & set the timing there & return the idle speed to normal . If it pings back it off just a couple more degrees

Thanks Neil, if all else fails this is what I will do. By the way what do you mean by limiting the vacum advance? And if I choose to disconnect do I diconnect it permanently?:2thumbs:
_________
Kevin

Mopar Lover....Cuda's....Challengers Rule!!!!
- 1951 Dodge - 2 door hardtop (Sold!!)
- 1971 Dodge Challenger
- 2012 Dodge Challenger Yellowjacket

Hard to believe what 20 years will do!!!!

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009 - 11:42:20 AM »
there is an allen screw inside the vacuum advance , go through tthe hole where the hose connects & turn the screw counterclockwise , it goes 14 turns & limits the advance by approx 1* / turn
 generally I disconnect the vacuum adavance permanently on most performance engines

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009 - 11:58:22 AM »
You can also mark the cover.. you just need a piston stop or an old spark plug and a bolt.