Author Topic: Camaros, Mustangs and my dreams of muscle cars....  (Read 2818 times)

Offline DavidSL

Camaros, Mustangs and my dreams of muscle cars....
« on: October 01, 2009 - 12:35:37 PM »
As some of you know, I'm pretty new to the muscle car scene. As such, I'm trying to learn as much as possible about it all before I buy one. Originally I started with a wide-eyed dream - to buy my ultimate dream car - the 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T with a 440 Magnum engine, the 'Vanishing Point' car. But I'm starting to realise that part of the greatness of this hobby is that there are so many cars out there to essentially 'choose' from until you find you can afford one.

I had an interview for a job yesterday, which is good, because I came back from a month in Australia without one, and eating into my overdraft is fun as long as the bank aren't chasing me. I hope to hear back from them within the next couple of weeks - if I don't, I'll just keep looking - but if I do, I think this could be a good one. Turns out it'll probably play havoc with my social life, make me get up plenty of ridiculous early mornings and I'll never really be sure what time I'm working week by week, but the money is good, and there's always overtime.

I'm thinking about starting 'small' in the muscle car hobby. I could save for a long time and buy my dream car, but would I really appreciate it? I'm starting to feel that I'd much prefer to work towards that ultimate goal and have fun doing so. I'd like to learn about muscle cars by driving muscle cars, getting my hands on the engines and turning a cheaper car into my own ride.

I've looked at Mustangs. I hate some of them, I like some of them. I've always loved Camaros, though they seem to have an unfair reputation amongst Mopar enthusiasts. That, and I don't want to be constantly asked if I got my yellow and black 76 because of Transformers (though the yellow and black 76 is a great looking car). That said, I am starting to realise that being a muscle car is less about caring what others think, and more about being in love with the car you're driving. With that said, I'm seriously considering what I'd like to spend my money on 'to start with'. I'm not looking for an investment, but something to learn from and adore - and if I decide to sell, hopefully do so with some profit or just for the same price I bought it - at least to someone who'll love it as much as I do. That would make me happy.

I guess the only reason I'm writing this is because I wonder how you all started - or what advice you have. I know some of you will say I should just save for my dream, but the truth is I love so many different cars now I don't know if I want to bypass them. Plus, who doesn't want Bumblebee sitting in their driveway?

Seriously though, I'm reaching out to you all, not as Mopar enthusiasts, but as car lovers and worshippers of the heartbeat of America, the V8! :wavingflag: :clapping: :woo:

Offline shadango

• Resident
Re: Camaros, Mustangs and my dreams of muscle cars....
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009 - 01:19:34 PM »
I guess you are asking "how did you get into this hobby?"  ??

I didnt get my first real toy car til recently at age 41.  It took that long to convince myself to do it. 

I have a cool 92 Dakota 4x4 pickup with one of the first Magnum v8s...have had it since it was a year old and wont let go of it....that has been my main toy up until now...not really a musclecar but it'll go!

Have always loved mostly all "cool" cars of yesteryear.....any make, model.....I go to car shows and drool over them all...but my first love has always been mopars.  E-bodies being my first choice, a-bodies my next......I had almost settled on buying a Duster/Dart until my wife found my current car.

So my first real "muscle car" is my 72 Barracuda....warmed over 318.....bought it with fresh paint and scrappy interior, no tranny but an engine, no engine electrics or radiatior......been putting her together since March this year.

Have always been able to turn a wrench, but often get cold feet.....its been very much a learning expereince for me.....and this car has had its ups and downs....but got her running a few months back and that first ride was AWESOME!

But, while its a fun hobby, it has its downs too....I have tranny issues  now so the tranny has to come out soon.  Learning that you have to be prepared for that side of it. Its not always all fun.

Always spending money on this or that part or piece to complete the latest obsession......

Some times I have to remind myself "This is supposed to be for FUN!" and to look at figuring out problems as part of that fun.  SOmetimes tough to remember that!  LOL

Offline pink panther

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009 - 01:34:06 PM »
I would say most people got into this hobby becuase these were the cars they drove while growing up, some people are fortunate to still own their original cars from back then, but most are long gone. You got to face it, they don't make them like they used to, now most cars are primarily plastic shells with 6 cylinders that are capable of 12's in the quarter. you got to love old muscle though.
Scott   -  Member since 9/18/2005

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009 - 01:40:01 PM »
 :dunno: I think there can only be one answer for you in the situation you describe. That would be to buy what you can afford and still love. You, me, who ever, should not buy something that will create financial hardships in relation to family needs. And don't buy something your certain you aren't going to like or want to keep. Yes you may end up selling that car but not necessarily because your want to, you are willing to sell it only if it will help you get closer to the car you really want. But what if you are not successful in selling it for the money you need for it, are you going to be happy keeping the car?

Now, you are talking about Fords and GM models also................can't answer that for you, only you can do that. Me personally, I'd just as soon go without if I couldn't get a Mopar. Hey, it don't have to be a 71 Hemi Cuda convertable, OK? It could be a neat lil A body with a small block, or a B body big block, you can find either class of these cars generally speaking cheaper than you can an E body in similiar condition.

You sound like a younger guy, it's not necessary to rush into any purchase. Although I had a few Mopars earlier in my life, because of family/financial reasons I had to sell them. I then had to wait nearly 30 years before I could once again shop around and get my fix of reasonably priced Mopars. But for me it had to be Mopars because I knew I wouldn't be happy with anything less. Now I have five average cars that I describe as, "Nothing special, except to me."

Good luck, and "Don't worry, be happy" with your decisions.  :2thumbs:  :cheers:
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009 - 01:54:50 PM »
I grew up around classic cars. My Dad built hot rods and loved tri five chevy's. He was a bit shocked when I got into Mopars, but he didn't care. My first Mopar I still have 12 years later a 1972 Dodge Challenger. I love that car and will never get rid of it. If you are new to the hobby, start small and think cheap. Just yesterday I found a 70 Duster with no motor or transmission for $400, and it looked pretty decent. Now for me I have engines and transmissions lying around that I could drop right in, but even if you don't you can go to a local wrecker and get an engine and transmission for a couple hundred bucks that would get you started.

I am a young guy (will be 26 on saturday) and I love these cars. Not just Mopars, all kinds of cars, the best thing to do is start reading. It's a lot easier now with the internet. When I first got started finding information was a lot harder and locating things like factory service manual was difficult, now they are reproduced.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy the hobby as much as the rest of us.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline mcgheejt

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009 - 02:21:06 PM »
I agree with John about the A bodies.  My first MOPAR was a 1971 Duster.  You can find these cars around for alot less than an ebody and they are great looking cars that can built to run or for fun.  I choose a nice Duster over a Mustang any day. 

Offline DavidSL

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009 - 02:24:40 PM »
Thanks guys, I knew I'd get excellent responses on here.  :2thumbs:

I turned 27 at the end of July, and until now I hadn't really ever been interested in the muscle car scene except as an outside admirer. I had no idea what I was looking at, but when I saw them I always had a smile on my face. I guess that interest just came to the surface, because now when I see a muscle car I don't know, I look online to find out about it. And then I look at the different models through the years. And then I look to see how much they are selling for.

Whitesatinmopar - you summed it up perfectly:

"Yes you may end up selling that car but not necessarily because your want to, you are willing to sell it only if it will help you get closer to the car you really want. But what if you are not successful in selling it for the money you need for it, are you going to be happy keeping the car?"

This is the question that runs through my head everytime I see 'possible' first muscle cars. Possible first muscle cars for me are those I will be able to buy within a year. Something that isn't going to leave me out of pocket. Basically something I can run without spending every penny I earn. Fortunately, I like a few cars in this category. Would I be happy keeping them? Ultimately - I'd PREFER to buy my 'ultimate dream car' without having to sell another. I love these cars - I'd like to have as many as possible!

Sacrificing family/life needs for a car is not something I can see myself doing. I'm a dreamer, but I'm pretty level headed when it comes to it. Hence the 'cheaper' option. I would rather make mistakes on a car that isn't going to cost me the earth to repair, than something rarer. Camaros and Mustangs aren't cheap, but they seem to be a good option.

The Internet is an excellent resource, I have learned so much from just looking around various car sites, but forums like these are invaluable! Thanks so much for the responses!

Offline pink panther

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009 - 02:27:15 PM »
Jim,
I wouldn't say average on your cars, I have seen the chally, but based on what MEK said, they are more than just average.

Offline DavidSL

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009 - 03:05:38 PM »
Yeah, I wouldn't call that list 'average' by any means. You have two of my favourite cars in there - a Challenger and a Charger! :2thumbs:

I guess a major hang up on buying a muscle car is the power. I'm confused about it. I'm never going to need to drag race my car, but I get hung up on the idea that after 1971 cars were 'downgraded' due to emission laws. Then I read that Camaros don't produce as much power as other cars, and I'm, again, wanting more.

Can someone please just sort me out on this - since I've never driven a muscle car before - and will essentially want a daily driver - what should I be going for?

Offline pink panther

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009 - 03:12:35 PM »
don't get hung up on the power, you can make mighty horspower out of small blocks, or even big blocks, it is however you decide to build to your desiire.  That is the great thing about owning one of these cars, make it the way you want it.

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009 - 08:49:53 AM »
don't get hung up on the power, you can make mighty horspower out of small blocks, or even big blocks, it is however you decide to build to your desiire.  That is the great thing about owning one of these cars, make it the way you want it.

:iagree: You can basically get (build) any horse power ya want out of any small block, from my meager understanding the biggest advantage of the big blocks (Mopar) is the low end torque. And there is a definate difference in building cost especially just starting out in the hobby. Be patient, go slow in making descisions, and get ready to pee down your leg but still have a big goofy smile on your face. Beleive me at 62+ these machines still bring tears to my eyes, yep just listening to them. They can give you a passion for living, hard to explain the feeling and many think I'm wako about my Mopars.  :bananasmi  :cooldancing:  :bigshades:  :clapping:  :woohoo:  :cheers:
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline DavidSL

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009 - 10:40:52 AM »
Thanks guys, that's reassuring. You've given me a lot to think about. Spending time and saving up as much as possible certainly seems to be the best option. I don't want to get a car just to have a car. I had an interview the other day for a new job - if that works out I could have a pretty decent amount saved up by this time next year.  :2thumbs:

Beleive me at 62+ these machines still bring tears to my eyes, yep just listening to them. They can give you a passion for living, hard to explain the feeling and many think I'm wako about my Mopars.  :bananasmi  :cooldancing:  :bigshades:  :clapping:  :woohoo:  :cheers:

I'm starting to understand that. I've only just got into the 'hobby', but this has given me so much focus. I have applied for load of jobs because I have a dream of buying one of these cars. Now I would have looked for a job anyway, but I'm looking at everything - the interview I had is for a job that could greatly affect my social life and my time during the week but I'm looking at it long term - work hard - more money for a car. I'm also incredibly chilled out now. I'm not worrying so much as I used to about little things, and I'm a lot calmer in general. I went to an interview the other day without so much as a twitter of nerves. It might be that I'm getting older as well, but this has definitely given my life more focus and more positivity.  :2thumbs:

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009 - 11:00:55 AM »
I just lucked in my car.  Was in high school and really didn't know that much about cars.  When the chance came along to buy this car, I jumped at it because I thought it was the coolest car I had ever seen.  I was young and really didn't know what I was getting myself into.  This was in 1982 and the car still sits in my garage today. 

Offline DavidSL

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009 - 11:34:38 AM »
I just lucked in my car.  Was in high school and really didn't know that much about cars.  When the chance came along to buy this car, I jumped at it because I thought it was the coolest car I had ever seen.  I was young and really didn't know what I was getting myself into.  This was in 1982 and the car still sits in my garage today.

That's cool. It seems a lot of people get into muscle cars through inadvertantly buying one when they are in high school, or simply by chance. I'm thinking of 'starting' with a car that isn't going to cost the earth to buy - make it my own (not worrying about numbers matching and changing what I like to make it MY car) and learning from that. Then I'll maybe move on to another car, or be so in love with this one that I will be happy. Mopar, Camaro, Mustang - I'm always going to be into all of them I think - it's about finding the car I want now, based on what I love.

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009 - 08:34:07 PM »
I was born into it. My first ride home after being born was in my mother's 273 Barracuda. One Grandfather was an incessent tinkerer. Another Grandfather raced Pikes Peak in the era of Louis Unser. My Dad and Uncles were turning wrenches, tuning, and racing cars through the height of the muscle era. I grew up thinking everyone's dad had a race car in the garage. I was fortunate that when I was old enough to drive and buy cars, 62-72 era cars were at their lowest value point. My first car was  Road Runner. I tore up more sSatellites and Coronet building race cars than I'd care to admit. I tried to take some time off and sold everything and actually spent a few years not in the "hobby". Unfortunately, this hobby is more infectious than H1N1 and more terminal than cancer.  I still buy and sell and build, although I've slowed down considerably and don't flip cars like I used to. As such, I can't say I ever had a dream car. I find things I've liked about all of them, and this includes forays into AMC, GM, and Ford marques as well. I've actually learned to appreciate mopars more after spending time with those other cars.

For a new guy starting out, this is a hard time to get in to it. If you truly have an idea of the ONE car that does it for you, then your a step ahead in the process. Knowing what that car is give you a goal for saving, informing, and shopping to understand deals. If you don't have a specific car your after, then it can become a very strange path you'll take. Certainly the budget is a big consideration and if 2nd generation Camaros are your 1st choice, your in luck because they are tremendously undervalued compared to other cars.

I guess the first recommendation I'd make is to buy as solid and mechanically sound a car that you can. You can learn things about it as you go, but starting out with a basket case you never drive and only work on gets depressing very quickly. I'd also be willing to recommend that you consider "just picking up a car." This gives you the chance to look at less expensive cars outside the realm of more "traditional" muscle era to gain experience and insight. For mopars this would be 74-84 V8 cars such as Aspen, Lebaron, Cordoba. In the ranks of Mustang and Camaro, there are loads of 1980s era cars for cheap that are a great way to get your feet wet.

In any case, welcome. It's a crazy, frustrating, satisfying, and gratifying experience all rolled in to one.