Author Topic: Camaros, Mustangs and my dreams of muscle cars....  (Read 2807 times)

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
Re: Camaros, Mustangs and my dreams of muscle cars....
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2009 - 01:42:48 AM »
but I get hung up on the idea that after 1971 cars were 'downgraded' due to emission laws. Then I read that Camaros don't produce as much power as other cars, and I'm, again, wanting more.

I wouldn't worry about that issue because the vast majority of those cars have had engine rebuilds and what not over the years, so many of these smog engine have benefited from aftermarket performance...  It's a double edge sword though when it comes to getting a car that hasn;t been rebuilt.  My '72 still has the original, unrebuilt engine.  It's never been taken apart according to the original owner.  It's cool to be able to say that and it's a testment to the durability of the engine but at the same time, I only have 240 smogged hp to play with...  :banghead:

As far as the '76 Camaro "Bumble Bee" car when I was at the World of Wheels in Boston last year or the year before and the Bumble Bee car was one of my favorite cars there.  It looked like it was meant to be driven hard and used daily with it's primer patches and fat rear tires.  Not my pic, but you get the gist...

As far as how I got into the muscle car hobby... I always loved cars as a kid.  My first Hot Wheels car was a blue '68 Firebird convertible.  I still remember as a little kid looking out the window of our Chrysler Town and Country wagon and seeing the wing of a Superbird Road Runner go by...  We had a couple Trans Ams, nothing else too spectacular... 

Starting small as you mentioned is a great way to get into this hobby.  Yes, we would love to own our "halo" car, but to be able to afford what we want with little funds is tough.  Think of houses.  We would love to have a big house but we may start out buying a little house that's affordable then eventually trade up.

The deal is, no matter which brand you like, what car is your favorite, you have to be realistic and live by your means.  If you like all types of V8 cars, this really broadens up the possibilities for you.  The thing is that you just have to take that first jump to get your feet wet.  Mustangs/Camaros/Firebirds are reasonably priced.  The best thing is to find a good deal and learn on that car.  Gain some knowledge and experience working on these cars.  I'm not sure how much experience you have but there's always soomething to learn.  I love looking at craigslist to see the local stuff.  I found a '76 Fiormula Firebird that actually turned out to be a Trans Am with a Formula hood on it.  Needed lots of work.  I actually go the guy down to $200 (The rims alone were worth $200!  They were WIDE turbine rims similar to the Dukes of Hazzard rims.) but alas the wife said no... :dunno:

When I got my Challenger, I really didn't have that good an idea of what it was or the different styles/options of Challengers.  After having 3 kids, the youngest just born, I picked up a want ad to peruse the selections.  I had forgotten about the idea of owning a muscle car for years with a wife and kids but got an itch that day.  One car stuck out.  The ad was short and simple.  1972 Dodge Challenger, runs good, looks good.  It was up in New Hampshire and as chance would have it, I was to visit my brother up in NH that weekend.  Now the hard sell to the wife.  It wan't that she wasn't into cars but was almost anti car.  She never really enjoyed when I talked about them and such.  I called here and told her that I saw a car for sale and it looked interesting.  Thought I could check it out since I was visiting my brother in NH that weekend.  Her reply was, "If you love it, buy it."  I thought I was going to drop dead right that second! 

I went to check it out, it was in a barn with 3 racing Mustangs.  I thought it was a cool shade of light blue, sort of like Grabber Blue, but then I would eventually find out it's proper name was Super Blue, aka Petty Blue.  I thought the tail panel blacked out was interesting.  I later found out it denoted this was a Rallye model of the Challenger for that year.  When I saw it I didn't even know how good a 340ci engine was, probably the best small block made by Mopar IMO.  It ran poorly, unlike as the ad stated.  The original owner had sold the car thinking that he blew the engine.  Turns out the neck of the radiator fell off, I resoldered it back on no problem.  The tranny felt like it was slipping, it had no power when the gas pedal was pressed, but something told me to get it.

It was November and cold.  I rented a pick up/trailer to get the car.  I also brought a 5 gallon bucket of soap water and a a bucket for clear water and some sponges to wash the car before the wife saw it.  I pulled off the highway close to the house to wash it.  I put the soap on the car and went to wash it off and the soap had frozen onto the car and it looked like crap!  To top it off, the car wouldn't start when I was trying to back it off the trailer!  Not a good way to impresss the wife...  :faint:

After a tune up and a carb rebuild, the car ran great, able to spin up the tires no problem!  The feel, sight and sound of getting on the gas, feeling the back end of the car haunch up like a cat ready to pounce and the tires trying to grab the pavement makes it all worth while.  The rumble of the V8 engine going through true dual exhaust is music to the ears.  :grinyes:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2009 - 09:50:07 AM »
Phil, You make me want to go get my car and burn rubber right now!  Pouring rain though.lol  And my car is an hour away at the moment. :faint:

Tom

72-4's are just as much fun. :2thumbs:
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2009 - 11:23:05 AM »
Phil, You make me want to go get my car and burn rubber right now!  Pouring rain though.lol  And my car is an hour away at the moment. :faint:

Tom

72-4's are just as much fun. :2thumbs:

Tom, pouring rain=less friction at the tires=less drivetrain/tire wear!  I say go nuts!

Yep, if you don't look too close, the '72-'74 cars from the driver's seat look like the '70-'71 cars!    :grinyes:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2009 - 03:19:42 PM »
Tom, pouring rain=less friction at the tires=less drivetrain/tire wear!  I say go nuts!

Yep, if you don't look too close, the '72-'74 cars from the driver's seat look like the '70-'71 cars!    :grinyes:

Don't need the rain!LOL  Tires seem to be holding up pretty well so far!

Tom
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline DavidSL

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2009 - 08:07:17 AM »
Thanks for the responses, guys! :cheers:

Excellent story Super Blue 72, thankyou! That's really inspired me further. And you mentioning the 76 Camaro looking like it was meant to be driven daily is one of the main reasons I'm considering a Camaro.

If I get this new job I'll have a lot to think about. Money wise I'll be in a better financial situation that I was with my last job, and realistically if I saved for a whole year I would probably have enough to make some serious offers on a few more choice cars. I do love the 76 Camaro design, but the early 70s have something more 'Muscle Car' about them. They also seem to be pretty reasonably priced. It also comes down to the simple fact of practicality. IF I got this job, I'd be given a company van to keep at home. So that's another car on our driveway (I still live at home hence wanting to save for muscle car whilst my rent is at its lowest) taking up more room. If I buy a muscle car I'm talking about a 'daily driver' but it just wouldn't be whilst I'm working. It would automatically default to a weekend driver and occasional go out in vehicle. I think some of these cars are smaller than I imagine - so keeping them on the road and parking in them and so on shouldn't be too much of a problem, but it does concern me to the point where I'm thinking about size for practical reasons. A Challenger is quite a bit smaller than a Charger, I know - and probably not much bigger than most of the cars on our roads over here, but I'd like to make sure beforehand. I think the Camaro is one of the smallest (if not the shortest) cars that I have looked at. It's tedious to think about the cars on these terms, but I have to consider it, unfortunately. But mainly, as you've all said, it comes down to what I like the look of, to what I fall in love with.

The Mustang Coupe and late 70s Camaros are the 'cheap' options - cars that with a job I could pick up within 6 months or so. But I think holding out for something more would be worth it in the long run. The 71 Camaro has my eye, but the 70 Challenger will always be top of my list. It all comes down to size, what car I look good in (I'm 5'7" ish so this is a big consideration for me) and what cars I find at the time that I like. I'm trying not to get tied up in the crazy decision mode early but it's so difficult not to do with these cars!

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2009 - 10:03:45 PM »
Don't need the rain!LOL  Tires seem to be holding up pretty well so far!

Tom

I can hear your tires screaming for mercy!!!  :burnout:

David, just curious, wher do you live?  The UK?  :clueless:

Offline DavidSL

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2009 - 08:53:15 AM »
Yeah, I live in a County called Essex in the UK. Muscle cars are a rarity here, there are some about - my dad saw a Challenger the other day, but I've only seen two or three in my lifetime (Mustangs and a Charger - I think that's it). This is why I don't know too much about the size thing and so on.

I'm hoping to catch a few shows next year when I join Mopar UK - and I'll go from there. It seems that cars are selling pretty cheap in the UK and Europe at the moment if you look hard enough - but unfortunately there aren't too many about. I've seen a Challenger for 15k, an 80s Trans Am for 8k and a Mustang Coupe for 7k, so hopefully when it comes time to buying I'll find something I like. :2thumbs:

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2009 - 10:02:14 AM »
Yeah, I live in a County called Essex in the UK. Muscle cars are a rarity here, there are some about - my dad saw a Challenger the other day, but I've only seen two or three in my lifetime (Mustangs and a Charger - I think that's it). This is why I don't know too much about the size thing and so on.

I'm hoping to catch a few shows next year when I join Mopar UK - and I'll go from there. It seems that cars are selling pretty cheap in the UK and Europe at the moment if you look hard enough - but unfortunately there aren't too many about. I've seen a Challenger for 15k, an 80s Trans Am for 8k and a Mustang Coupe for 7k, so hopefully when it comes time to buying I'll find something I like. :2thumbs:

Are you close to this place?  Ever go there?  I would love to see this car: http://www.carsofthestars.com/cots3_4.html

I love the Interceptor!  :grinyes:  Dp you have Ford Falcons around you?  :clueless:

You could also find a reliable shipping company and have a person check it out over here but that has it's own issues.  One member here sold his car to someone in Europe and it got stolen.  It was recovered but with damage.  :stomp:

Offline DavidSL

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2009 - 10:58:47 AM »
Are you close to this place?  Ever go there?  I would love to see this car: http://www.carsofthestars.com/cots3_4.html

I love the Interceptor!  :grinyes:  Dp you have Ford Falcons around you?  :clueless:

You could also find a reliable shipping company and have a person check it out over here but that has it's own issues.  One member here sold his car to someone in Europe and it got stolen.  It was recovered but with damage.  :stomp:

That's about 6 hours from me - which by US standards isn't far - but by UK standards far enough...  :violin: :bigsmile:

That is a cool car, though! I'm hoping to see some car shows in the future so if there are any cars you want me to look out for I'll be happy to take some pics for everyone on here. :2thumbs:

Never seen a Ford Falcon. I don't honestly see many old cars around here. I mean, standard old cars, sure - but American cars stand out where I live. You'd see one a mile away. I think there are a lot of people who would appreciate them around here, just not a lot of owners.

It's more than likely I would need to use an import service. If I found the car I was looking for in Europe and it was a solid driver, I would happily travel over there to drive it back. But the cars I'm looking for it seems less likely that I'll find one 'local'. Cudas, Challengers and Camaros aren't hugely available over here, far as I know.

Importing is not my favourite option, mainly because of the costs - but that sucks about a car being stolen on it's way over. That's another reason, too. I'd go through a company that factors all the costs into the price of the car - we have a company over here that find your car for you using their agents in the US and then ship it over and sort out all the necessary arrangements to make it UK road legal, but I've yet to investigate that. I'm going to start looking when I have a solid amount of money saved up - so we're looking at a year at least.

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2009 - 03:04:53 PM »
you be carefull with the cheap musclecars overhere...  :eek4:   most don`t come cheap for no reason...  :2cents:
you might be able to find a decent Dart or Javelin or something for a nice price, but good quality e-bodys don`t come cheap...
*** Bart ***

Offline DavidSL

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2009 - 03:28:40 PM »
you be carefull with the cheap musclecars overhere...  :eek4:   most don`t come cheap for no reason...  :2cents:
you might be able to find a decent Dart or Javelin or something for a nice price, but good quality e-bodys don`t come cheap...

Ah yeah, I know. The cheap cars I've seen are just the less popular cars I guess. All the Cudas and Challengers I've seen in the US haven't been less than 25k. I saw an excellent matching #'s 71 Cuda go for 33k on ebay - and that was pretty mint. I think the small blocks can be found at a good price if you look around - Challengers seem to work the same way. But yeah, I'm not gonna start seriously looking until I'm on my way to 20k in the bank, because I know that prices go all over the place at the moment.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2009 - 05:16:06 PM »
That is a cool car, though! I'm hoping to see some car shows in the future so if there are any cars you want me to look out for I'll be happy to take some pics for everyone on here. :2thumbs:

Thanks for the offer!  :thumbsup:

What about some of our members in the UK?  Maybe they might want to sell their car eventually.  Might be an idea... or maybe they have a project car they don't want to finish, etc...  I think there was a DaveR or some one in the UK...  :dunno:

Offline DavidSL

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2009 - 07:46:19 AM »
Thanks for the offer!  :thumbsup:

What about some of our members in the UK?  Maybe they might want to sell their car eventually.  Might be an idea... or maybe they have a project car they don't want to finish, etc...  I think there was a DaveR or some one in the UK...  :dunno:

No problem! :cheers:

Yeah that's my thinking. If I join Mopar UK I should be able to build up some contacts - especially if I make it clear what I'm looking for and how much I'm willing to pay, hopefully something could come of that. But meeting people in the UK with the same interest is the main focus - it will hopefully give me a greater insight into owning a Mopar over here and insurance and so on. As soon as I get back on my feet job wise and start getting a solid income again, I'll start planning for the year ahead. Basically to begin with I'm hoping to put a large amount of my salary into a savings account and just keep saving up until I start building up enough towards a car. At the moment, that's looking to be at least 20k if I want to go for an e-body. It really depends on the financial climate, I guess.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2009 - 09:17:07 AM »
If you want, check out this profile for a member on this site:

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?action=profile;u=5355

He also lists a UK Challenger site.  Check out his past posts to see other info he may have posted.  He's from Newcastle upon Tyne, ENGLAND.  :thumbsup:

Offline DavidSL

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2009 - 08:20:40 AM »
That's cool, thanks Super Blue! :cheers:

I checked out the links, seems like there are quite a lot of Challenger owners in the UK. :2thumbs:

I've pretty much decided not to compromise on my choice of car - it's more than likely that I'll be saving for the next couple of years to buy the car I want - a '70 Challenger R/T with a 440 Magnum might be a stretch, but perhaps I can find one eventually. Numbers matching would be nice, but I'd happily settle for an original R/T that was a 440 when built, with a non-numbers matching engine. But that doesn't really make the search any more realistic. My other (not second, these have grown on me so much that I'd call it an equal) choice is a 71 Cuda with a 340 small block. I KNOW these are around for reasonable prices if I look hard enough. In the last 2 months I've seen 3 matching numbers Cudas with 340 engines (all '71) for less than $40k. Hopefully they'll still be around when I have the money! :woohoo: