Author Topic: swore into the corps today...  (Read 1011 times)

Offline sixpack340

swore into the corps today...
« on: October 01, 2009 - 05:09:47 PM »
well everyone, i know i havent posted much on this sight, but it was only because i dont have much to add to the wealth of cuda knowledge already present. i have learned a great deal off a lot of smart folks in here and appreciate the good reading. anyway, i finally enlisted and swore in today. im an 0331 or in other words, a machine gunner in the marine corps infantry.

my beloved cuda is now sold, luckily into good hands. i only sold it due to the fact that i wanted to have plenty of money sitting in the bank for the little lady while im gone for basic and soi. priorities are priorities and even though that car meant a lot to both me and her, they made them new every day for 4 years, theres plenty more out there. im only young once and brief, so i want to chase my dream of becoming one of the elite. my ultimate goal is to try and enroll into scout sniper school as soon as i can. shooting has been a part of my life since i was young, especially long distance shots. it seems to be all that i do anymore for fun. a sniper roll in the marine corps is what ive wanted to do since i was a little fart. so here i go...im gonna shoot for the moon, if i miss, i'll land amongst the stars. wish me luck! :ylsuper:
i plan to leave this world the same way i came into it...by accident.

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
Re: swore into the corps today...
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009 - 05:17:00 PM »
Good for you Congrats! Hope you fulfill your dreams! Gun control= hitting what your aiming at! :naughty: I always thought Carlos Hathcock was cool!
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline FJ5_440

• Wisconsin
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009 - 08:18:36 PM »
Best of luck following your dreams.  Cuda or no Cuda, stay in touch when you can.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The MARINES don't have that problem."
President Ronald Reagan - 1985

** Shane **

sleepychallenger

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009 - 09:35:37 PM »
Goodluck. you will be fine.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009 - 09:40:47 PM »
Good Luck in the Marines.

Where will you eventually be stationed at?
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline sixpack340

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009 - 09:58:08 PM »
ill be based out of harrisburg,pa since im joining as a reservist. to go active id have to wait until august 2010 to go to basic. its getting pretty popular to join the military. i dont need to go active since i have a regular job. alot of the active recruits are layed off and need an income. im going to volunteer to go over to afghanistan shortly after basic so i can get a deployment under my belt. it helps to have that for enrolling in scout sniper school. if i get into the sniper school and make it through all the force recon training, im going to quit my job and go active. im going to live my dream for a while as a fulltime deal. all this will happen in a few years, it wont be over night, so ill be around for a little while yet.

moparniac

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009 - 10:05:23 PM »
good luck!

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009 - 01:44:27 AM »
Good luck with your future, sounds like you will do fine. I would like to add a thank you for not only making your dreams a reality but for also making our country a safer place to live.    :cheers:    :wavingflag:
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009 - 07:05:17 AM »
Good luck and congrats !

Just be careful.

And...THANK YOU! :2thumbs:

:wavingflag:

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009 - 07:42:39 AM »
  Congratulations, keep safe, its a pity that more young people didn't think of their country instead of themselves. Service personel put their lives on the line for others.   :cheers:
Dave

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009 - 08:27:25 AM »
 :wavingflag: Thank you soldier  :cheers: I admire you for your choice and logic, it is always better to make a decision out of desire rather than desperation. You head is on straight, keep it that way looking out for yourself. I also thank your family for supporting you in your decision. I read where a reporter asked a military sniper what he felt when he pulled a triger on his target, he said "Recoil". And please keep your account here, don't delete it, keep us updated throughout your training. And if your still around Harrisburgh and can get leave time next July try and make at least one day of the Carlisle show.  :2thumbs: Wear your uniform proudly sir.  :wavingflag:

** we need a salute smily
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline DoNotChallengeHer

• Resident
  • Drive It Like You Stole It !
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009 - 07:05:31 PM »
Good Luck and thank you  :wavingflag:

Offline lemming303

• San Antonio, TX
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009 - 10:10:40 PM »
Good Luck and Semper Fi brother! I was an 0311 in 3/1. I was stationed at Camp Pendleton on Active Duty. I served one deployment (WESTPAC) in support of Enduring Freedom and two tours (OIF I and OIF II) in Iraq. I learned more about life in those 4 years then I have all the rest of my years (I'm only 27). You will enjoy it.

Are you going for Force Recon or STA? You said you want to be a sniper, but also you mentioned Force. Those are two different groups, although Force does have snipers within its ranks. I will tell you that Force is WAY harder to get into to. If you have the drive though you won't have any problems. Are any of your recruiters Infantry? It really helps to have a recruiter that was in the infantry that you can talk to, as POG's (Personnel Other then Grunt) don't really ever learn about the way the Infantry works, and believe me it is two different sides of the Marine Corps.

One thing to remember is when you are going to the STA or Force Indoc (that is the basic test you will take to determine if they want you for either unit) DO NOT GIVE UP! It doesn't matter if you are dying and falling behind the rest of the group, if you show that you will not give up you will make it. I probably shouldn't say you will make it because they look for certain characteristics in a sniper, but as long as you show that you have the will to continue even though the task at hand is nearly impossible (like an 10 mile RUN with a pack filled with 3 full sandbags, I'm not kidding), they will consider you.

Good luck brother, I wanted to be a sniper too. But once I realized they need calm, collected, extremely patient Marines to be snipers I realized it wasn't for me. I like to get in, destroy everything, and get out. Clearing houses is a rush like no other (besides skydiving).

My name is Kevin, and if you ever have any questions that you don't want to ask your recruiters, just ask me. I don't much about how Boot Camp is now since I went in 2001, but as far as info about the fleet I am here to help. Thank you for your courage, it's one thing to join the military, it's a whole different ball game to join the Corps.
Kevin

73 Challenger Rallye - first project

Offline AZDAN

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009 - 10:43:38 PM »
 Thank you for your service. My son joined the Marines one year ago. He called last night and said he had just been promoted to Lance Corporal.  I know that happens with time/service. The next step will take more effort to achieve but that is what Marines do.  Good Luck to you.  :wavingflag:

Offline sixpack340

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2009 - 10:10:28 AM »
i appreciate all the kind words and encouragement from everyone on here. i tell you, ive never felt the way ive been feeling since i enlisted. it feels so good to get thank yous from folks ive never met, either on here or in public. i work at gander mountain here in york part time. i had a few customers thank me when we talked about it.