Author Topic: tried to start my engine need help  (Read 3057 times)

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
Re: tried to start my engine need help
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2009 - 08:45:01 AM »
Not sure, but dont you need to read the pressure when the engine is running? :dunno:
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2009 - 10:48:02 AM »
well the pressure should not change significantly when running but it does need to go somewhere

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline kmyles

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2009 - 04:00:15 PM »
Ok so I just got off the phone with Holley. They tell me that during production they flow test the pumps with mineral spirits. Unfortunately if they sit on the shelf too long afterward the plunger on the pump will stick and the internal bypass will not work. They told me to take out the plunger and clean it with emery cloth and spray with some WD-40 and reinstall and I should be good to go. They say it's a common problem. We'll see...stay tuned
_________
Kevin

Mopar Lover....Cuda's....Challengers Rule!!!!
- 1951 Dodge - 2 door hardtop (Sold!!)
- 1971 Dodge Challenger
- 2012 Dodge Challenger Yellowjacket

Hard to believe what 20 years will do!!!!

Offline kmyles

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2009 - 11:56:30 PM »
Ok so I just got off the phone with Holley. They tell me that during production they flow test the pumps with mineral spirits. Unfortunately if they sit on the shelf too long afterward the plunger on the pump will stick and the internal bypass will not work. They told me to take out the plunger and clean it with emery cloth and spray with some WD-40 and reinstall and I should be good to go. They say it's a common problem. We'll see...stay tuned

Didn't work :banghead: :pullinghair: :banghead: :pullinghair: What the heck to I do from here! I will Holley again tomorrow!!! This is nuts :swear: :swear:
_________
Kevin

- 1971 Dodge Challenger

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2009 - 09:01:33 AM »
Put a mechanical pump on it.

Tom :stirpot:

J/K maybe the regulator is bad?

Hope you get it sorted, let us know.
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline cwestra

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2009 - 11:01:52 AM »
if it has steel shim head gaskets I have seen them seep coolant until they have been heat cycled a couple of times , if you have composite gaskets & it leaks you have a problem . All the studs into the head for the exhaust go into the water jacket , if the factory studs have been removed you need to use teflon thread sealer on every bolt & or re-install new studs
I assume that applies to both small and big block, CP?  And would a thead locker Blue (medium) work for that or something else? 
Corey - in Northern Indiana

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2009 - 02:11:05 PM »
No, you need to use a liquid teflon ( your auto parts store or hardware store will have it)
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2009 - 02:34:14 PM »
 :iagree:
or teflon tape
the end studs on the small block are the only ones that go into the water jacket

Offline cwestra

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2009 - 04:22:48 PM »
:iagree:
or teflon tape
the end studs on the small block are the only ones that go into the water jacket
Teflon tape as in plumbers tape?
Corey - in Northern Indiana

Offline mojavered

• Someday!
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2009 - 01:49:31 PM »
Teflon tape as in plumbers tape?
That would be the stuff!
Jason

Offline kmyles

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2009 - 12:07:28 AM »
Still no vroom vroom :pullinghair: :banghead:
Can someone tell me which one is #1 on the distributer? It's a 383 engine. I just want to make sure I have the wires on right.. If soemone has a picture it would be a great help!!!
_________
Kevin

- 1971 Dodge Challenger

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2009 - 01:56:42 PM »
That really depends on how the distributor was installed when the wires were plugged in for the most part.

You need to line the timing mark up on the damper with the zero line on the timing tab being sure that cylinder number one is on top dead center and not on the exhaust stroke.  Remember that the crank turns twice for one rotation of the cam which means that when the marks line up, you have a 50-50 chance of being on TDC  :)  If the valve cover is off, you can  check to see if both valves on number one are closed as they will be on top dead center.  If the cover is on, then you can remove the sparkplug from number one and rotate the crank.  When a puff of air comes out the plug hole, then you know you are coming up on TDC and line the marks up.

Then take the distributor cap off and observe where the rotor is pointing and that should be number one-or very close to it.  Make a mark on the side of the distributor and put the cap back on.  If you are correct, the wire that matches up with the mark should be the wire that goes to number one sparkplug.  It may take some turning of the distributor to get it to run correctly from that point as the distributor can be rotated enuf to be a plug off without much effort.

Offline kmyles

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2009 - 12:07:48 PM »
On Oct 13 at 9:52pm she finally took here first good drink of fuel!!! :cooldancing: :cooldancing: Boy does she purr..... little loud but what do you expect with no mufflers (they get installed later).  :working:Timing was off by 180 deg and carburator float was stuck but other that she's good to go :burnout:. Sounds like I might have one bad plug on the pass side but that should be an easy fix compared to what I've done so far! Also I put a chrome timing case cover and it sounds like it might be rubbing the chain?  :clueless: I have to pull the rad over the winter to install a new one that Santa is bring so I will investigate that then. Thanks to all that have helped me make my dream a reality!!! :cheers:
_________
Kevin

- 1971 Dodge Challenger

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2009 - 01:20:18 PM »
Progress does not come easily some times, but, it is always sweet to get over the hump.  Glad it is running!

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2009 - 02:37:52 PM »
 :2thumbs: