Author Topic: Vanishing Point  (Read 4211 times)

Offline airfueleddie

Vanishing Point
« on: October 07, 2009 - 11:07:36 AM »
How many of you dudes have ever wanted to follow Kowalski's ride from Denver to Goldfield? Well we just got through with that run and I have to tell you,,it was the most incredible adventure I have ever been on. 2 Dodge Challengers,,my 1970 N-96 Car and my friend Drew's 1970 R/T 440 car with 2 chase vehicles as support and some great AMC guys from the Denver area to help us in our quest for the "Vanishing Point" , I went 4,000 miles in 8 days ,(combined), and put 450 miles in my R/T,, there was 60 MPH winds that had abrasive sand in it and it snowed in the Utah Mts. so I put my R/T in the trailer during inclement weather,,Drew's R/T went almost the entire 1,600 mile 'loop' both cars did everything we asked of them. No damage only Goldfield dust. I miss the 'Wild West' and my mates as we bonded like brothers. I want to return in a couple years and do it again!!  Enjoy the pics,,,,Eddie Nasser

Offline airfueleddie

Re: Vanishing Point
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009 - 11:17:44 AM »
This is AMC Jims Road Race beast,,180 MPH certified,,Richmond 6 -Speeder, 600 H.P.  Thanks to Jim for all his help,,couldnt have completed the trip without his knowledge and Chase vehicle support. Thanks Jim  we had a 'car show' before the trip started at Drew's home in denver. Very Cool AMC's and a 1970 SuperBee

Offline airfueleddie

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009 - 11:19:31 AM »

Offline airfueleddie

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009 - 11:22:37 AM »
The next day we took off to Greenriver, Utah driving thru the Denver, Mts.  the sound of two hot 440's inside the Lincoln? tunnel was incredible,,one tunnel was mile long, wished I had a soundtrack of that. It's the most beautiful 'music' ive ever heard.

Offline airfueleddie

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009 - 11:24:25 AM »
BTW, never mind the date on the camera,, too lazy to set it! :biggrin:

Offline airfueleddie

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009 - 11:29:54 AM »

Offline airfueleddie

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009 - 11:37:05 AM »
#5 We unloaded in Austin, Nevada  Drew had an sparkplug wire burn,,he gave a me a set of 5.9 magnum wires at his home before the trip started,,he had sold his Dodge truck and no need for them anymore, and I have a 5.9 magnum powered Dodge truck so he gave them to me. His generosity came back and smiled upon us. It was fixed with available parts in minutes. Kindness DOES payoff! :thumbsup: We have this on film as Kowalski drove around the church tower in the Film and we did likewise. Damn,, that Dave R. is one crazy cat! The steepness of that hill looking down over my Shaker hood at Drew's rear bumper had the 'sphincter effect' :biggrin:

Offline airfueleddie

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009 - 11:38:44 AM »
On to Tonopah!!!!

Offline airfueleddie

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009 - 11:42:16 AM »
Finally we arrive into Goldfield, NV  where SuperSoul did his thing. Dave R. behind the wheel of my R/T and a 120 MPH Kowalski blast into Goldfield. The sound of a built 440 SixPack at 6000 RPM's thru a TTI X-Pipe exhaust,, is a good thing indeed. :thumbsup:

Offline airfueleddie

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009 - 11:45:02 AM »
Not much in Goldfield,Nv. and the Hotel is supposedly inhabited by 'spirits'  I think the locals are drinking too many 'sprits' :biggrin:

Offline airfueleddie

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009 - 11:46:51 AM »
 I like this pic,,you N-96 dudes will too. :2thumbs:

Offline airfueleddie

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009 - 11:53:19 AM »
The cars ran a bit rich at 6,800 to 10,000+ feet above sea level, and that was expected. I changed my powervalve and rebuilt my Center Carb before I left, with 18 initial, 16 mechanical, no vac. adv. as I have  Pro-Max setup on my center carb and the rear adjustable baseplate. I used an FBO ignition and it performed flawlessly, I was very pleased. It took a few cranks to light off, I think next time I should bump up the initial to 20-22 reduce the mech. to 14-12,,adjust the idle mixture screws a screw in on all sides,, and it would be very close to ideal. Next time I'm taking the LM-1 meter with me.

Offline airfueleddie

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009 - 12:02:00 PM »
We 'looped' up thru Vegas and into the tip of Arizona back to Greenriver, Utah my R/T was in the trailer for the return trip back. Glad I did, I had 20.00 bucks left in my pocket when I arrived home. And no more credit on my card. Cant wait till I return,,miss the comradirie, The AMC guys are brothers,, miss the scenic Wild West,,met and fell in love with a Vampire girl in Tonopah,,found the "Vanishing Point"!!!!!!!!!  Thanks Dave R.(England)  Wayne B.(Ireland),,Pat,(Washington)Drew&Lisa,(Colorado) and AMC Bro's Jim&Kenosha,(Akida dog and our Mascot), Bob,(AMC Natl. AMRO Pres.),,Gib for all his invaluable help he took good care of us,,Seth PHd Chemist and safety meeting engineer.

Offline DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

• Resident
  • Still My Inspiration..1971, Rockingham, Nc
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009 - 12:30:43 PM »
Hello Eddie.   Haven't heard from you lately so I guess I know why.......You been out  DRIVING.................... Sounds like a good trip. Haven't visited the other site lately.  Hope you post over there too.       :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
Dave or David

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009 - 12:50:51 PM »
Oh yeah, definitely on my list of future road trips  :grinyes:

Thanks for sharing the pics airfueleddie :cheers:

"60mph winds with abrasive sand in it" ?! :-\
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U