Author Topic: Rear Window Locator Pieces  (Read 1204 times)

Offline cwestra

Rear Window Locator Pieces
« on: October 08, 2009 - 08:59:50 PM »
I bought new clips for installing my rear window and included were a couple of locator or positioning clips (upper part of picture).  Does anyone know how these are supposed to be used?
Corey - in Northern Indiana

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
Re: Rear Window Locator Pieces
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009 - 09:12:57 PM »
I was going to use those same pieces and the glass shop said not to. Said it could chip or crack the glass later on down the line. They used 2 1/4 inch pieces of rubber on mine. The guy had them with him

Offline cwestra

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009 - 02:36:26 PM »
I was going to use those same pieces and the glass shop said not to. Said it could chip or crack the glass later on down the line. They used 2 1/4 inch pieces of rubber on mine. The guy had them with him
Where do the go anyway?

Offline 4 speed fish

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009 - 03:36:38 PM »
I think they are used to center the glass from top center to bottom center.My glass guy didnt use them.They are not needed.

Offline cwestra

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009 - 03:45:02 PM »
I think they are used to center the glass from top center to bottom center.My glass guy didnt use them.They are not needed.
Not needed or use something else instead?  I assume they would be used on the bottom to help prevent the glass from shifting down while curing, right.  I can see where metal pieces would not be a great material to use here, but are you saying the glass will stay up on its own without anything there?  Thanks.

Offline 4 speed fish

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009 - 03:49:06 PM »
The guy who put the glass in has 30 years of doing this and he said they were not needed.

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009 - 10:05:22 PM »
The glass is like glue/tarred in place. Even from the factory, when removing the old glass, you can see the old 1/4 inch rubbers on the bottom of both sides. You can use tape to hold the window while it dries, but those spacers help for when you install your chrome. The window will be centered correctly for the chrome to hook on the clips and not have a space showing glue or let water in as easy

Offline cwestra

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009 - 10:15:49 PM »
The glass is like glue/tarred in place. Even from the factory, when removing the old glass, you can see the old 1/4 inch rubbers on the bottom of both sides. You can use tape to hold the window while it dries, but those spacers help for when you install your chrome. The window will be centered correctly for the chrome to hook on the clips and not have a space showing glue or let water in as easy
Since mine are metal, can I remove them once the adhesive is dry?  Or can I use a piece of 1/4" rubber instead?

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009 - 10:30:02 PM »
1/4 inch rubber would be better. the metal ones will stick to the glue. But you could go to a glass shop and the guys there most probably have a set to give you for free.