Author Topic: recommend a body shop in Baltimore area  (Read 1273 times)

Offline GreenFish

recommend a body shop in Baltimore area
« on: October 12, 2009 - 07:58:54 AM »
My new garage is being built and the Cuda is coming apart for a complete re build. I am looking for a good paint guy.  The body is pretty straight only a few minor rust issues so no much body work needs to be done. I may just do the body work myself. Can anyone recommend a good paint and body place in the Baltimore area?
70 cuda, 440, KB pistons, 10.5:1 compression, edlebrock heads,RacerBrown cam, 5-Speed Tremec, Megasquirt EFI

Offline cudagirl4406pk

• Yes i am a Girl and No you cant drive my CUDA
    • Garageartmusclecars
Re: recommend a body shop in Baltimore area
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009 - 10:47:55 AM »
Hey jeff i now have a resto side deal and i have been doing a bunch of cars send me a email at showgoat67@hotmail.com we can talk about it.Unless u still have my number and michele's cuda still out and about and so is the gto .

kenny
Yes i am a girl and no you cant drive my MOPAR :)

Offline GreenFish

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009 - 03:29:09 PM »
Kenny whats up?  I saw her Cuda down by the Dunkin Donuts this past weekend but I didnt see you guys. YOu were probably out walking around.

Ill check you out. I'm going to pull the cuda apart this winter and give it a fresh-in-up job.  Ill give you a shout when i'm ready

Joe
70 cuda, 440, KB pistons, 10.5:1 compression, edlebrock heads,RacerBrown cam, 5-Speed Tremec, Megasquirt EFI

Offline GreenFish

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009 - 12:20:04 PM »
What about media blasting places. I want to have the entire car stripped and redone. Any suggestions?

Offline quapman

• Resident
    • Auto-Grip on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009 - 08:42:21 PM »
Soda blasting seems to be the new thing. There are guys with portable setups who will come to you.
My name is Steve and I'm addicted to Challengers...

Offline GreenFish

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009 - 12:26:59 PM »
Soda blasting seems to be the new thing. There are guys with portable setups who will come to you.

anyone ever done soda blasting themselves? doesnt seem that hard and the equipment is cheaper than paying someone to do it.

Offline nick68

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009 - 07:13:22 PM »
Soda blasting requires the car to be nuetrelized afterwards, Some paint company's do not even suggest using thier product over soda blasting. Check it out first as I was going to do it but decided against it because of the after blasting work required.
"Did I mention I hate sanding ? "

Offline GreenFish

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009 - 07:46:58 AM »
Soda blasting requires the car to be neutralized afterwards, Some paint company's do not even suggest using thier product over soda blasting. Check it out first as I was going to do it but decided against it because of the after blasting work required.

Yeah, ive read a bunch of stuff about what needs to be done after soda blasting.  So you are saying that washing your car afterwards is to much work?  :screwy: Everything I read said that you just need to wipe the car down with a hot wet/soapy microfiber towels or you can use vinegar.  The soda residue that is left seems like it comes off very easily, the problem is that people neglect to do it at all. I havent read any where that someone said they followed the instructions and still had problems.  :thumbsup:  The prep doesnt scare me as much as the mess
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009 - 07:51:07 AM by GreenFish »

Offline nick68

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009 - 08:46:52 AM »
All that water pouring onto bare steel and finding its way into crevasses kinda worried me.
"Did I mention I hate sanding ? "

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009 - 10:23:20 AM »
anyone ever done soda blasting themselves? doesnt seem that hard and the equipment is cheaper than paying someone to do it.
It's not rocket science, but it's also not easy.  You have to be real careful on the trunk and deck lids, in fact I wouldn't even touch them with blasting because they are very easy to warp.  Those are best done with hand sanding.  Also be very careful on the side panels for the same reason.  Be prepared for one he11 of a mess to clean up afterwards.  If you have a large backyard, put up some kind of a temporary building (2x4's with poly or something like that) to do the work.

Offline GreenFish

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009 - 02:14:54 PM »
All that water pouring onto bare steel and finding its way into crevasses kinda worried me.

That is why you just wipe it down with hot water and not a full out hose and sponge.  Eastwood has a whole "how to" on their site on this.

Offline cudagirl4406pk

• Garageartmusclecars
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009 - 07:10:39 PM »
Well soda blasting is a nice thing to do there is a mobile guy we use up here that comes to my house and does it right out on the driveway.For a whole car it is about 1100.00 and also the eastwood blaster sucks i bought the big one and sent it back not worth the money better to have someone do it for you.And yess you wipe the car down after blowing it out to get out the rest of the soda blast and put etching primer on it right away to prevent rust.You can email kenny at showgoat67@hotmail.com he will give you his cell and he can talk to you on the phone and explain it all to you.

michele

Offline GreenFish

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009 - 08:06:58 AM »
Well soda blasting is a nice thing to do there is a mobile guy we use up here that comes to my house and does it right out on the driveway.For a whole car it is about 1100.00 and also the eastwood blaster sucks i bought the big one and sent it back not worth the money better to have someone do it for you.And yess you wipe the car down after blowing it out to get out the rest of the soda blast and put etching primer on it right away to prevent rust.You can email kenny at showgoat67@hotmail.com he will give you his cell and he can talk to you on the phone and explain it all to you.

michele

thanks Michele, did you have your cuda soda blasted?

Offline cudagirl4406pk

• Garageartmusclecars
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2009 - 07:25:09 AM »
No i did not have mine done orginal paint was on car and kenny sanded it with 80 grit back then.He just started having cars soda blasted in the past 2-3 years it is  much easier and less money then using hours and sandpaper when doing someones car.Give him a shout if you want to schedule something he only allows 2 cars at a time for resto work and you want to get in fast he has one he is finishing and a 70 chevelle coming in november for frame off.

michele

Offline GreenFish

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2009 - 07:24:03 AM »
sweet..  The construction on my garage starts today, so when its finished ill be tearing down the cuda. Ill be in touch. Probably just have the blasting done. The car doesnt need much body work (that I know of) so well see how it goes. I have the ability to paint myself.