Author Topic: Maxxis Marauder Tires  (Read 4764 times)

Offline boydsdodge

• Top end's unlimited....Aaaauuuuugghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Boydsdodge
Maxxis Marauder Tires
« on: October 13, 2009 - 06:33:11 PM »
I just found these 15 inch tires in the 235 245 255 275 295 60 range , they list them as 360 tread wear which should mean stickier then the norm and a speed rating of H = 130 MPH.
So I just thought I'd ask if anyone has tried them or has any reviews of them?
Thanks.
I hope it's ok to ad a link, I am not trying to push an advert. Just so you can see what I am talking about.
http://www.gripston.com/products/maxxis-ma-s1-marauder
Jackson from Toronto.

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline boydsdodge

• Boydsdodge
Re: Maxxis Marauder Tires
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009 - 07:04:48 PM »
Thats not the Marauder, but thanks.
Jackson from Toronto.

Offline LAA66

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009 - 09:46:57 PM »
 For what it's worth, Maxxis make a top notch ATV tire. :)

Offline boydsdodge

• Boydsdodge
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009 - 09:54:20 PM »
It's the first 15" tire in the sizes I need that have number lower then 400 and a speed rating of H.
Except for the Avon tires that are $300.00 each.
Jackson from Toronto.

Offline Mentally Challenged

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009 - 11:38:06 PM »
For what it's worth, Maxxis make a top notch ATV tire. :)

I have had very good luck with the truck tires also.
Chris, Ohio

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009 - 12:00:12 AM »
Interesting Boyd! Be sure to post how they work if you get them!
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

wagesofsin

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009 - 07:17:21 AM »
ive been running em on my harleys and selling maxxis' for years.

:2thumbs:

Offline boydsdodge

• Boydsdodge
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009 - 01:55:00 PM »
Looks like I'll order a set up. For the street they look pretty good thick tread to help stop squirm and a high speed rating.
Jackson from Toronto.

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009 - 05:19:17 PM »
I know the Mickey Thompson S/R have an H speed rating, but I don't know what tread wear they have off the top of my head. I have a set at home I can check and see if its stamped on them. I'd say M/T tires typically tend to be kind of soft, but at $123, the Maxxis is about $80 cheaper per tire in comparable sizes.

Offline boydsdodge

• Boydsdodge
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009 - 06:18:39 PM »
I was having a problem finding the right size in the M/T SR.
275/55x15 would be cool, but they are $300.00 each
Jackson from Toronto.

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009 - 09:28:16 AM »
 Sizes are what actually got me to buy finally the MTs. I'm going to run 26x10x15 up front with a 28x12x15 out back. In metric terms that would be a 255/50 and and 305/55. I' ve noticed their sizes are a bit optimistic and the actual size tends run smaller than advertised. I did check the sidewall last night and they don't have a tread wear rating on them anywhere, so I emailed their tech department with teh question. Guess we'll see what they comes back with.

Still, it looks like the Maxxis tires are a really good value in price for performance. Going to their site I noticed they listed a 255/50 on teh available sizes, but didn't have it in their price list. I might check and see if that size is available and if it is, then switch tire brands. Heck, if you can get three Maxxis tires for the price of two MT, that's a pretty cool deal.

Offline boydsdodge

• Boydsdodge
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009 - 10:18:53 PM »
I will be ordering up at pair of 245/60 and a pair of 275/60, just waiting for our dollar to hit par with the U.S. dollar next week or so they say.
Jackson from Toronto.

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009 - 02:25:15 PM »
Okay, got a response back from MT about tread wear. Short answer they gave me was that they are a specialty tire manufacturer and therefore don't publish UTQC data because most of their customer are more interested in traction than treadwear and temperature ratings. That actually kind makes sense because they make a lot of racing tires. They also asked that I call them for more info, which I did.

On the phone, they told me that the treadwear designations are actually a somewhat arbitrary number when comparing different manufacturers, but is very informative when comparing products from the same company. The reason being that there is no Federal standard for methodology for performing the testing. All manufacturers set up their own testing on their products lines and use a 100 rating as the base line. This baseline can be a tire that will last 10,000 miles or 50,000 miles, whatever they choose. From that point, every other tire in their line is evalauted against that baseline to determine the multiplier that determiens the rating. Therefore a 200 rated tire would last twice as long as the 100 rating, a 400 four times as long, etc. But, since the baseline can vary, it is possible to have 400 rated tires that last 20,000 miles or 60,000 miles. Although typically the higher rating is going to mean a harder tire which will trade off mileage for grip.

FWIW, they did say the S/Rs line typically averages 12-15 thousand miles worth of normal driving. Burnouts, autocross, and other spirited driving activities will make that number drop significantly. They have one customer who is up to 20k on them, but he does not use them for anything other than cruising. Since I've heard of BFG T/A tires getting 25-35k in average crusing, I'd say the S/Rs are a bit softer. How that will stack up against a Maxxis, I don't know.

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2009 - 06:27:19 PM »

Since I've heard of BFG T/A tires getting 25-35k in average crusing, I'd say the S/Rs are a bit softer. How that will stack up against a Maxxis, I don't know.
Thanks for posting , I learned something makes sense! Thanks! :2thumbs:
 Just my opinion but BFG T/A would be my last choice! I only bought them once because they were the only game in town at the time for the size I wanted. After about 6 months they were like hockey pucks! Junk no traction!
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0