Author Topic: 400 stroker questions  (Read 7584 times)

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
400 stroker questions
« on: October 14, 2009 - 08:36:50 PM »
Ok boys I now have a good 400 block for "future "use.
Has anyone used Mopar performance heads stage VI #p4529335 or the ported version#p4876383 I got these #'s from the Mopar performance catalog with the 392 Hemi on the cover. My question is these heads are raised port which after reading another book on BB Mopar engines I understand that when installed on a 400 (or 383) you then need to use a RB intake? I've read that they are raised the amount that is difference in height between an RB  and a B engine? Can anyone confirm this? Has anyone used these heads? Opinions?
Ok I hang out in Nascar circles so what CFM( intake and exhaust) should I look for in buying a cyl. head? This will be a STREET engine not an all out drag engine. My goals are to build a nice street engine that is durable ,reliable and will live for a long time. Pump gas 10-1?. Not a "here for a good time not a long time" kind of engine. But with the most power I can get with this criteria.
I know about 440 source stuff and after buying one of their water pumps I'm not into any more of their stuff.
I've looked at Indy stuff too. I like their stuff too. I am set on Aluminum heads to try and take weight off the nose of the car!
I have a 440 now ,just installed a new Holley street dominator intake so with the Mopar heads I could reuse it again? I haven't decided what stroke I will go with yet. I'm looking at Eagle H beam rods and maybe crankshaft? Any opinions on Eagle parts?
Thanks Brad
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

moparniac

Re: 400 stroker questions
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009 - 10:19:37 PM »
Stage 6 intake spacers..... I had a set of MW ported ones sometime back and sold them.... Go with the indy EZ's   :2cents: Stage 6's make power especially the chapmans but too much specialty parts stuff in the long run.....

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009 - 10:38:23 PM »
Stage 6 intake spacers..... I had a set of MW ported ones sometime back and sold them.... Go with the indy EZ's   :2cents: Stage 6's make power especially the chapmans but too much specialty parts stuff in the long run.....
Jason what do you mean by Stage 6 intake spacers? Do you mean I will need spacers to fit an intake? What specialty parts do ya need to run them? I understand they use longer valves. 11/32 Dia! :2thumbs:
A few more questions about the Chapman ( part # P4876383) heads:
1 stock or offset rockers?
2 What intake with a 400 block,RB or R ?
3 are the exhaust ports raised too?
4  stock valve cover bolt pattern?
5 stock exhaust flange?
6 spark plugs, angled or straight?
7 combustion chamber ? CC size and shape? closed or open?
8 what spring diameter are these heads machined for?
It's my thought that it's the heads that I want to spend the money on? Do you agree?
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post

Offline 73EStroker

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009 - 10:50:34 PM »
Using Stage 6 heads on a B block requires the use of an RB intake manifold. Using Stage 6 heads on a RB block requires an RB manifold with the spacers that stroker is mentioning. I agree with Stroker - use Indy EZ heads. I recommend you buy EZs through Muscle Motors as they give you a true bolt on package after talking over with you as to what your motor build will be.
Barry (Salmon Arm)

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009 - 09:57:24 AM »
Mancinis had a deal on the Stage 6 heads when we were in Carlisle , I am not sure if they have any sets left now though but , it was around $700 for a pair
 the Rockers are offset not stock
RB intake as 73Estroker said
Exhaust ports are raised as well
stock Valve covers fit
stock exhaust flange
Angled Plugs
Heart shaped closed chamber around 80 cc
Talk to Mancini about a set
or call Muscle Motors & Talk to Eric there about the Indys or Stage 6 heads

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009 - 10:09:08 AM »
Mancinis had a deal on the Stage 6 heads when we were in Carlisle , I am not sure if they have any sets left now though but , it was around $700 for a pair
 the Rockers are offset not stock
RB intake as 73Estroker said
Exhaust ports are raised as well
stock Valve covers fit
stock exhaust flange
Angled Plugs
Heart shaped closed chamber around 80 cc
Talk to Mancini about a set
or call Muscle Motors & Talk to Eric there about the Indys or Stage 6 heads
Neil, Money aside what do you think are the better performing heads? They are attractive in that I can reuse my intakefrom the 440.$700 from Mancini was that I assume just for the castings? I understand the first castings had "issues" with collant and oil leaking? I assume angled plugs won't work on headman headers? Yes ? No? :dunno:
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009 - 10:13:36 AM by brads70 »
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009 - 01:15:32 PM »
The later casting were fine but the image was tarnished by then , I talked with the guy in the Mancinis display , I thpought you were there with me , maybe not but he said the castings worked fine but with limitations , , they have problems with high spring pressures etc but work well within what they were designed for
$700 was just the castings
 I bet both the 6s & the Indy EZ are approx equal money aside

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009 - 04:01:09 PM »
The later casting were fine but the image was tarnished by then , I talked with the guy in the Mancinis display , I thpought you were there with me , maybe not but he said the castings worked fine but with limitations , , they have problems with high spring pressures etc but work well within what they were designed for
$700 was just the castings
 I bet both the 6s & the Indy EZ are approx equal money aside
Thanks for the reply!
It will be a street motor so spring pressures should be OK? Did he say at what spring pressures problems occurred? What was the problem? Castings giving way under the springs? :clueless:
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post

moparniac

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009 - 05:27:45 PM »
Stage 6 stuff is old stuff anymore... Go Indy  :thumbsup:

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009 - 08:48:16 PM »
Thanks guy for your input on the heads!
I guess it will come down to $ then if they are both close in performance! I'll have to add up all the parts required and decide! I just liked the idea of using my 440 intake on the Mopar performance heads? But again I'll have to "do the math" on the parts required for both combo's!
Do the Indy heads require offset rockers too?
What manufacturer of cranks and rods do you like? I was looking at Eagle products? :dunno: I like the design of their H beam con rods? I'm leaning towards the 2.2" rod bearing size and .990 pin?  I'll have to compare the weights with some other manufacturers?
Looking for something that is lightweight ( crank) but with a good reputation?
I like engines to rev quick! ( stock car racer in me sorry! LOL)
What would be a realistic red line for a street engine with the 400 block combo?6500? 7000? I don't want to be changing valve springs, or having to touch up the seats every winter!
I know my 455 Buick built motor motor has a bag of torque but they just don't rev due to their huge mains.( but they don't need to either LOL) but I DO love torque!
 I'm kind of pumped at the 400 Mopar possibilities! Mopar DID build the best engines!

What are my stroke options? Is there anything between a 500" combo and the 440 stroke combo? With the 500" combo I'm somewhat leery of the wrist pin in the oil ring? I wonder about the longevity of this combo? Any thoughts on that?

Sorry about all the questions guys but I'm somewhat new to BB Mopars and want to make the right choices? And I'm not to proud to ask! I'm not ready to buy all the parts now, but just want to have a plan and snag the right parts as "deals" come along! I'm thinking around 2 years to collect parts then build it.
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post

Offline 73EStroker

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009 - 10:47:57 PM »
A lot of guys may not think along these lines but go with the 440 crank and rods for your 400 block to make 451. They rev to the moon if you have the right cam and heads and have a really light rotating mass. I have taken near 8lbs off the rotating mass as compared to a stock 400. Use a good cam and heads and you will be surprised. Mine is setup for 7000RPM. Had it to 6500 and doesn't seem like it is there IE no straining by the motor and goes there willingly. I have a good all around matched combo that took a while to think up. So do your homework and 'balance' the combination of all of the components and you will end up with a good performer. Mine is setup to rev high, run from 2000 - 7000 and has 3.73 gears with a Passon OD A833. I spent $13500 CDN to end up with fan to clutch and TTI headers.
Barry (Salmon Arm)

moparniac

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009 - 02:20:10 AM »
The indy CNC 325's EZ's are the only EZ's that take the offset rocker....  :working:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009 - 12:19:39 PM »
Eagle cranks fit poorly in the blocks & require a LOT of machining , I would Follow Barrys advice & use 440 Crank & rods in the 400 block , the 440 intake is also bigger & allows more air flow into a low deck B engine or get a kit from 440 Source , his cranks basically drop in
 7000 rpm redline in a 451 is easy

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009 - 12:40:30 PM »
Eagle cranks fit poorly in the blocks & require a LOT of machining , I would Follow Barrys advice & use 440 Crank & rods in the 400 block , the 440 intake is also bigger & allows more air flow into a low deck B engine or get a kit from 440 Source , his cranks basically drop in
 7000 rpm redline in a 451 is easy

What would you do in my case Neil. I have the 440crank/rods and its in great shape, might need a light polish on the journals but thats it. Would you build a 451 with redone stock rods and the forged 440 crank or would you pop for the 440 source kit and make a 470 or 496? I definitely dont want over a 500 for the street as I want it to be a trouble free daily driver type engine. My biggest concern is getting the crank turned right and not messed up by a machinist. Thanks for your input.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

moparniac

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2009 - 02:35:11 PM »
more cubes equals more power/torque down low ..... 451 Strokers are awesome setups though.....  :working: