Author Topic: Help Newbie w/340 Build  (Read 588 times)

Offline IndyCuda

Help Newbie w/340 Build
« on: October 15, 2009 - 12:25:04 PM »
Hey fellas long time listener first time caller here. I just bought my first Mopar and I am very excited. A  restored lime light '72 340 Barracuda. It is pretty much stock with a Holley six pack. I won't be going to the strip so I want something with good street manners as I plan to drive it often. I would like to build up a stout and reliable engine around 475-500 hp. I am not looking for a fight but if a punk in a ricer or Mustang wants to dance I would love to break it off in them. This is what I was thinking....
1) Ported W-2 heads
2) Lunati Voodoo hydraulic roller
3) tti longtube headers with full 3" H pipe exhaust
4) Demon Carb

Question...Do I need to change the six pack to the Demon carb or like 4 barrel? What specs on the Cam do I need? Aluminum or Cast heads? Basd on the above add ons any estimates on hp?

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
Re: Help Newbie w/340 Build
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009 - 12:36:19 PM »
Welcome aboard.

As for your car....
 :useless:

I think W-2's are too much for what you're looking for.  Magnums or most of the aftermarket heads will be just as good without the custom rockers.

The roller cam debate has been hashed out elsewhere here.  Do a search and you'll find what you're looking for.  Short version:  Mechanical flat tappet cams or even several of the better hydraulics (Voodoo's especially) will get the power you're after.

I'd keep the Six Barrel myself, but mostly for asthetics.

Hard to guess on HP without more detail, but roller cam W-2 motors can make 600 - 800 HP if taken to the extreme.
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Help Newbie w/340 Build
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009 - 01:23:45 PM »
W2 heads are amoung the best heads ever for the small blocks But you better have deep pockets ,
they require after buying the latest castings @ $1000 each
-Valves
-springs
- retainers
- locks
- special intake , no 6 pack is available
-Special rockers costing $100 / set or more
- Special headers $800 - $1000
- Special valve covers , the MP ones don`t even fit the W2 head even though that is all they are for
excet to spend 5000-6000 to get them set up
 I aree with above that for the power level you are looking into the W2 heads are overkill , a Set of ported 308 castings should get you where you want to be

I would also pass ont he Demon carb , they are Problematic , the Proform series carbs are far Better & are cheapest through Mancini racing, I would approx double the ci to size the carb 
 you could do a stroker kit in the 340 & take it to 412 or bigger CI

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t