Got my engine back, but #$&(@)*&%(@#)**$

Author Topic: Got my engine back, but #$&(@)*&%(@#)**$  (Read 5234 times)

Offline mojavered

• Someday!
Got my engine back, but #$&(@)*&%(@#)**$
« on: October 15, 2009 - 10:29:09 PM »
So, I got my engine back the other day.  Builder had it for 6 months!  It was supposed to be a freshen up, new pistons to bring compression up, port the heads, match the heads to a new intake, a Victor.  Well, it seems that there was always a problem with something.  About a month into it, he calls me and said that there is a crack in one of the heads but he can get me a set of eddy rpm’s for cheap.  Then, he gets the heads and said that they were flowing like crap and wanted to know what I wanted to do.  In the meanwhile he orders up a set of 440-source heads "just because" and tells me that he has a Forged crank, forged rods, and forged pistons that he can install for 1100 more.   Sounds good and I say go ahead, you know what you are doing-what is it going to be now and he said a 493.  Great!  Well he gets the heads (Stealth) in and flows them and said that they were crap.  He tells me what cam he wants to run, no brand name, only that it was about .509 lift with 1.5 rockers.  I tell him that I want it around a .540 with the 1.6 so around a .525ish would be better.  I order up a set of Indy EZ's with the info that he gave me, and get the heads, with valley plate, valves, and pushrods.  He changes the springs and put some new keepers in (finally something decent) and tells me that they were set up wrong and he was having a problem with the push rods.  I remind him that he put 1.6 rockers in there and that the holes may or may not need to be elongated.  Mind you, this was in June and he got my engine at the end of March.  So, I keep trying to get a hold of him and it is one excuse after another.  Then he finally calls me and says that he is having problems with the block as there is something "screwy" there that the previous builder did and this is why he is taking so long to get back to me.  I am trying to be patient so that I do not get a pos.  Well, the time finally comes that I get my engine and I did not care if it was ready or not!  So, he drops it off at my house and after we have unloaded it, i notice that there is no Victor intake, instead a Performer RPM.  He said it would be a "dog" with that intake.  Whatever, I think as I am just happy to have my engine back.  Then I notice that there is JB weld on the rear freeze plug to hold it in???  He said that they are notorious for popping out.  Have you ever heard of this???  I have not!  Then he tells me that one push rod is the wrong length and can he come by some time so that he can change it? ?  Can you believe that, or any of this so far?  On top of that I notice the block was never hot tanked and I could almost swear that he told me that he did this.   And, I received absolutely 0 paperwork on this engine.  What the hell is in it???  I don't know!  Did I mention that the cam box with my old cam shows a .464 lift on it?  I hope that the cam is something close to what I wanted?  Then said that he had a problem with all the stroker kit and it ended up being closer to .520".  Can you believe that he gave me back all my old parts?  LOL!
I was referred to this guy by a guy I have known for a while and him and his buddies use him all the time.  He lives about 2+ hours from me and I should have just made the trip months ago to get it, but.......
I am scared to death right now as this is just way too close to being a horror story.  So now the engine is going to my Dads long time mechanic whom I was originally going to use, but decided to give this other a try.  I want to know what is in it, get everything checked out, and just make sure that all is well.  I just thought that I would vent a little and let you all know that it really is simple to check someone out before using them, not just by looking at their website.  My buddy could not believe that this was going on and said that he has never had an engine take longer than 5 weeks.  Anyway, hope to get this thing back soon and that all is well with it!
Jason

Offline kingtroll

Re: Got my engine back, but #$&(@)*&%(@#)**$
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009 - 10:51:32 PM »
Sorry to hear you had so many problems with this guy. I hope it turns out okay for you.!!!
1974 Barracuda

Offline Jimmy

• THE Challenge(r)
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009 - 11:03:12 PM »
Unfortunately, there are too many shady people out there! My builder jacked with my car for 3 years, then decided to "retire" and leave me hanging with a 1/2 way done car! The bondo is cracking and it hasn't even seen any road time, much less paint!!!!! The lesson I learned, if you want it done right, do as much of it as you can yourself. Good luck on your engine, I hope it isn't as bad as you fear.

Big Block Jimmy
1973 Challenger w/440
1967 Camaro RS w/502
1967 Mustang w/302
1965 Ford F100 w/429

Offline ashley_j

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009 - 11:46:13 PM »
Even with the problems it still feels good to have it back. I know I felt that way after waiting for 6 months waiting for paint.   :stomp:           

My Challenger spent almost a year in someone elses garage. You'll get it done and remember. The Karma train sounds as if its headed for a stop at this guys doorstep.

:22yikes:

Jeff
 :wavingflag:
2009 Dodge Charger 3.5 (Son's Ride)
2008 PT Cruiser Turbo (Mom's Hotrod)
2006 Grand Caravan SXT (you'd be surprised)
1973 Dodge Challenger (383ci w/425HP)

NEVER FORGET!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009 - 11:57:42 PM »
I would think a 493 cube BB with Indy heads would love a Vic Intake, but whadda I know?
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009 - 12:13:15 AM »
Sorry to hear your story. Its too bad many people take others to the cleaners. I sure hope its not as bad as it sounds. My dad had a 74 Ford truck that needed new rings. This was in like 78 or even before that. He got this guy to work on it and when my dad got it back it was never the same. It ran hot and not too good at that. Fast forward abot 10 years and my dad had friend stay at our house and rebuild the engine again. Turns out the rods were not even a matching set and the engine was bored over like .040 or .060. The guy swapped engines on my dad. What a tool. I also believe that Karma is a bich and finds its way back to people who do others wrong intentionally. That does not ease the pain when you have been taken to the cleaners though.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009 - 08:33:49 AM »
Have this mechanic document everything that is wrong and then go after getting your money back for the first one's labor.
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009 - 08:51:10 AM »
Wow what a PITA! Unfortunately this story is all to common.  :grinyes:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009 - 10:28:34 AM »
That is a bummer for sure....    :swear:    I think the mechanic you now have needs to open the engine up and give it a good going over. Better to be safe than sorry. If the engine does not have the components you paid for, go after the first guy hard....     :2cents:   
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline mojavered

• Someday!
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009 - 11:48:36 AM »
That is exactly what is going to happen.  Everything is going to be gone over and if the parts are not there, the fun really begins...
It is a bummer.  I am sorry to hear that it happens at all, not to mention "all too often"
Jason

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009 - 12:09:26 PM »
I went through every machinist in the area & had problems with every single one of them , I have finally found a good machinist & have been using him exclusively for over 5 years with no issues , there are far too many people like this around the industry  :faint:

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 73EStroker

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009 - 02:29:40 PM »
 :iagree: with Neil. I used the same guy and his work is impeccable. He has been doing Dodge engines for so long and that means something. My engine has had zero issues with respect to the machinists work.
Barry (Salmon Arm)

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009 - 08:03:05 PM »
I cringed when I read your post. It's such a shame when you give someone your hard earned money and they treat you with such disdain by shoddy and dishonest work. I truly hope you can recoup any rework costs you may incur in repairing/reinspecting your motor. I have been very fortunate in the shop that I use for my machine work. The owner/operator is not just a vendor, but a good friend!! I hope you have found a good machinist and get it all worked out for the best!! :2thumbs:

Matt B.
Matt

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009 - 10:11:15 PM »
Man, you bought eddie heads, 440 source heads and indy heads?  Any one of those heads can make huge power. Sounds like that guy didnt know crap.  I'll take those crappy 440 source heads off of your hands.  Never heard of anyone boring a block without hot tanking it. And what about cam bearings?   What did this nut charge you?

Offline mojavered

• Someday!
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2009 - 11:06:26 PM »
I guess that I should clarify that the only set of heads I paid for were the Indys.  He bought and returned the others and did not want to deal with Indy.  (I thought I understood from what others were talking about in customer service but there may have been other reasons.)  The total for the entire job, not including the heads, was 2780. If all turns out to be ok, with the exception of the pushrod that I already know is shot, I think that the price was reasonable.  Forged Stroker it, cam, lifters, timing chain and gears, rocker arms, intake, gaskets (cometic and are these reusable), bearings, flex plate, balancer, and whatever labor was actually put into it???  Now, let's just hope that there is actually something inside and not just a new coffee table for the garage. :violin:
Jason