Author Topic: A sound you don't want to hear when assembling a motor  (Read 623 times)

Offline Jim

A sound you don't want to hear when assembling a motor
« on: October 17, 2009 - 08:56:39 PM »
Over the last couple of months, I've been assembling the 440 for my 72 Cuda project as time and funding have permitted. This week I finally got the short block buttoned-up. The other night I installed the windage tray and 7 qt pan. Today was the day to roll it over and install the heads.

So I've got it on the stand and start rolling it over. I get it rotated about 90 degrees, and I hear a faint, CLINK.
 :eek2:

"WTF was that!?!?", I say to myself.  >:(

So I do another rotation and I here it again... twice. CLINK..... CLINK  :stomp:

So now I'm fit to be tied. I'm thinking I'm going to have to open up the bottom end to find whatever I left loose and is rattling around.  :swear:

I keep rolling the motor over, waiting for the CLANK signaling whatever it is has fallen into the oil pan, but it never comes.  :banghead:

After several more rotations, I trace the noise to the left cylinder bank, but I'm thinking no way did I have anything fall into the crank case.  :clueless:

Finally I start to thinking maybe something is in the water jacket. So I start peering through the holes looking to find something. Can't really see the into the far outboard corners, or in between 3 and 5. By this time though, I'm fairly certain whatever is rattling around IS in the water jacket and probably harmless, but I'm not going to stop looking until I find it.

So I popped out a couple of freeze plugs, and sure enough, I find a chunk of rusted cast iron flash.  I flip the motor a couple more times... no more CLINK:woohoo:

It was a frustrating detour, but at least the story has a happy ending. Only cost me the time, and a couple of 99 cent freeze plugs. Obviously, it could have been a lot worse.
-Jim
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it. "

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
Re: A sound you don't want to hear when assembling a motor
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009 - 09:03:34 PM »
Glad you found it. I had a similar situation when I built my motor. I found a piece in the pan and did a lot of looking to figure out what it was and where it came from. Glad it all worked out!! It will definitely give you the pucker syndrone!!

Matt B.
Matt

Offline UKcuda

• Tell them I'm on my way
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009 - 05:24:40 AM »
A sound you don't want to hear when assembling a motor

I thought it was going to be "..... so when are you going to mow the lawn ??! "
'72 'cuda

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009 - 11:31:39 AM »
The very first engine I tried to do when I was 16 had a noise... Very fait, but under the intake... I left teh 3"   3/8"drive socket extension in the valley...   :faint: