Poly want a cracker?

Author Topic: Poly want a cracker?  (Read 2167 times)

Offline MAXcuda

Poly want a cracker?
« on: August 20, 2004 - 04:33:45 PM »
I just ordered shocks and torsion bars for my car.  (Doing a big block swap)  I was just about to give my credit card number to detroit eaton spring for the big block leaf springs when I asked them about bushings and install hardware.  They use rubber bushings in the spring.  Now I've seen places where you can get poly bushings, Just Suspension being one of them.  They have poly bushings ($52), isolaters ($66) and poly shackle bushings ($forgot) for a hefty price over rubber.  This kinda caught me off guard, I didnt know I needed to make this decision...  so I havent ordered my springs yet and I wanted to find out what yall think about poly in leaf springs.  Poly bushings in the front end are great, I know... but in leaf springs?  Is this just a gimmick or is it really worth it?  Other than poly not rotting like rubber I cant think of any real advantages (handling-wise).  your thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2004 - 04:43:22 PM by MAXcuda »

Offline ChallengerVert

Re: Poly want a cracker?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2004 - 06:05:33 PM »
Don't think it makes much difference.  I got HD springs from ESPO and I upgraded to Poly.  I do not think they cost nearly as much as what you quoted from Eaton.

Have you looked at thier prices yet?
1970 Dodge Challenger Convertible 493 6 Pack, 4 Speed
1971 Dodge Demon 408 5 Speed

Offline Tim440RT

• Get an R/T
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2004 - 08:13:41 PM »
I thikn poly bushings won't break down like rubber, so are better in the long run, because things won't be loose and sagging, I also think that poly is a little stiffer... not sure about that one though....
1970 Challenger R/T 440

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2004 - 04:51:01 AM »
I thikn poly bushings won't break down like rubber, so are better in the long run, because things won't be loose and sagging, I also think that poly is a little stiffer... not sure about that one though....

True

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Plum6Pak

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2004 - 09:23:03 AM »
 :)  I am going with poly for mine, haven't got them yet but believe they are better, the technology for products have improved immensly since these great old cars were built. Unless you are trying to build a trailer queen original, I'd go with any of the latest and greatest stuff available. I am going with the all new poly for the front end, can anyone give me the best place to get everything in a kit? Thanks!  :D

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2004 - 12:32:28 AM »
Energy has a kit for all the poly parts  should be available from Summit or a local speed shop
 I would get Moog suspension parts , again should be available locally 

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Plum6Pak

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2004 - 01:16:06 AM »
Thanks CP, I will check those out, I also forgot about a guy I know that works at a large Dodge dealership here locally, I would think they have some if not all the stuff for these still.

Thanks!   :D

Offline MAXcuda

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2004 - 11:34:03 AM »
Thanks for your replys guys.  I guess I'm sold on poly then for durability of the springs.  Eaton charges $399 for a spring set and $80 for their "installation kit" and no poly available so they're out.  ESPO poly upgraded springs with hardware go for around $250.  I was leery of ESPO because of the problems one of our members had with them and ride height.  Can anyone tell me what the stock ride height of a 440/hemi cuda is (and where you're measuring from)?

Plum6Pak

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2004 - 02:17:21 PM »
I hope this is readable when done. The suspension height are 1 3/16 1970 and 1" 71-72.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 22, 2004 - 02:22:02 PM by Plum6Pak »

Offline MAXcuda

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2004 - 07:02:24 PM »
thanks plum6pack.  what book is that from?  does it list the height of the rear of the car?

Plum6Pak

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2004 - 07:50:46 PM »
 :) It's a Chiltons and it just says that when the rear springs are replaced to re set the height on the torsion bars, I guess with the new firmer and possibly higher arched springs, it can throw off the height of the cars front suspension.  ::)  It would be nice to know what the height of the rear should be, then if the front is all set properly, you would know how much sag your springs have in them. They could give you a measurement from the top of the axle shaft to the frame or something, then tires wouldn't come in to play. Hopefully someone here will post the info you need, good luck! :D

Plum6Pak

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2004 - 07:48:31 AM »
 :D While on the subject of poly bushings, I just ordered all my steering with poly for the super kit from Mancini Racing and they are going for 289.00 for the whole kahuna! Moog suspension parts to boot! Just thought I would pass that along for anyone getting ready to rebuild the chassis. 34 years of crud await you to remove and clean up, get out the rags!
 ;D