Author Topic: Seeping oil from aluminum mopar valve covers  (Read 5554 times)

Offline shadango

• Resident
Seeping oil from aluminum mopar valve covers
« on: October 20, 2009 - 08:37:10 AM »
Well, now that my engine vibration is gone, I know the engine is a keeper for now so I am moving to other smaller issues.

One issue I have had a while is that the right Mopar Performance aluminum cover seems to be weeping oil...not from the seals, but from the actual side of the cover itself.

I pulled the cover to have a look and see no visible cracks...but when the engine is running you can watch and see where the oil begins to seep through...so I guess there is a hairline crack there...

Any thoughst on best way to address other than scrapping them?   

I was thinking about JB Weld of silicone, but I would hate to have either flake/peel off and end up in the engine...

I swear...I have all the weirdest issues...LOL  :working:

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
Re: Seeping oil from aluminum mopar valve covers
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009 - 09:40:57 AM »
It's not seeping down from a breather?  This just seems really weird (I know it's YOU, but still...)

I'd tape a paper towel to the valve cover to see if there's a streak of oil that's just hard to see.  Otherwise, find someone to TIG them.
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009 - 09:49:49 AM »
I thought it was from a breather or something too...but i swear I can sit there with the engine running and watch the oil just appear.   :faint:

Offline 4 speed fish

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009 - 11:18:03 AM »
I had the same issue.I bought some very expensive gaskets that are hard rubber.Test fitted them on the valve cover,no leaks.

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009 - 11:34:03 AM »
I can't imagine there is any way it could seep through the cover, so there must either be a hairline crack or it is leaking through the gasket and working it's way around on the outside, or leaking out the breather.  Have you been pulling the covers off multiple times while you were looking for the vibration cause, or have they been off at all?  The first thing I would do after looking for a crack, would be to replace the gaskets then put the covers back on (might as well do both since you have to buy both), then go from there.

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009 - 11:37:07 AM »
I only had the covers off once.....when I was assessing what I had engine wise.

The gaskets are the rubber reusable ones and I seem to have very little in the way of seepage from them.

I wipe off the side of the cover and watch it and like magic an oil fil appears, then it turns into a small dot of oil then bigger, etc......I looked at the inside when I had them off and they seem fine....

I know aluminum can have porosity issues when cast (or so I have heard)...   :dunno:

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009 - 11:49:02 AM »
Again, toilet paper or paper towel will be the only way to tell if there is a path or a penetration.
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009 - 12:40:10 PM »
JB weld is whay I would use , roughen up the surface so it has a better grip though

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Jim

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009 - 01:37:35 PM »
Nothing short of welding will hold on a crack for very long.

I had one crack on a buddy's car recently. Drove me nuts trying to find the leak. Fortunately, he had a spare.

You can probably find a second hand one reasonably cheap.
-Jim
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it. "

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009 - 02:24:38 PM »
After seeing how I have this seemingly mysterious seepage with no visible crack, I would eb afraid to buy second hand and get the same thing......

I think I will go new if it comes to replacing it.....

I like the look so will probably stick with the same type.

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009 - 02:33:46 PM »
I had oil seepage issues on a Harley a few years ago. After repeated trips to the dealer to replace seals, it was discovered that the aluminum case was actually porous. They replaced the case and problem solved.  I currently have a porosity issue with the Indy aluminum valve cover on the passenger side on the Cuda.  It seeps oil through the top of the cover.  I have tried internal sealers to no avail. No cracks can be seen.  I can clean the valve cover and then crank the car. In a few minutes, the oil begins seeping out.  That sorta sux, but at $900.00 a set,   :money:  I'll keep cleaning it off....      :roflsmiley:    :roflsmiley:   
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009 - 05:59:38 PM »
Resurrecting an old thread....

....just found a reference on another forum where a guy was considering buying a  finned aluminum oil pan.  Another guy suggested that there can be porosity issues (like what I am experiencing with my valve cover) and to coat the inside of the pan with POR-15

Thoughts on this approach for my weepy valve cover?

Its not a big deal.....but it makes a mess and its a pain basically.

Looked into new covers....$120 or so.....not tons of $$$, but would rather not spend $120 to just solve a seepage.

Would POR-15 stay stuck to the inner surface of the valve cover?  I was thinking some sort of sealant paint maybe?  The JB weld was also an idea I had....

But since its INSIDE the engine, being subjected to hot oil and temps ...well, thats the concern.  Dont want junk flaking off and causing issues....

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009 - 11:49:03 PM »
There is a paint you can use, it is a special paint used on the internals of electrical appliances, i have used it before for the inside of engines rather than polishing the valley, i am not sure what it is called, perhaps someone else knows of the product and will chime in for you. :2thumbs:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009 - 12:02:43 AM »
OK, found some info.....

You can look up and find the properties with either "GLYPTAL PAINT" or "GE Glyptol electric motor paint" may be the same thing :2thumbs: good luck.

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009 - 12:36:08 AM »
I have also found that sometimes depending on what intake you have that the Mopar covers will ride against the runners and will not allow for proper sealing of the cover to gasket, may be an area to check.