Finally starting to restore my '72 Cuda

Author Topic: Finally starting to restore my '72 Cuda  (Read 5919 times)

Offline Cuda 72

Finally starting to restore my '72 Cuda
« on: October 20, 2009 - 07:30:51 PM »
Well- let me start by saying I know just enough about mechanics to get me in trouble, so I will probably be asking a few questions as I go.

My Goal: I bought this car about 15 yrs ago and was a daily driver for a few years, it’s basically set in my shop since 98. My goal here is to restore it enough to make it a dependable weekend driver so my wife and I can pretend we’re teenagers again. I’m not too concerned about originality, and don’t have the funds to be to particular.

Interior:  I have taken out all of the interior except for the dash and gauges. The bucket seats were not original E –body (I will probably modernize with SRT8 style). The rear seat will need to be re-covered (Looking at Nicks http://nicksclassicparts.com/), needs new carpet (looking at Nicks), the panels were originally green, but have been painted by the previous owner, dash pad needs replaced (looking at Nicks- Legendary), headliner is 10 yrs old and is ok. Everything else seems to be in tack, floor pans are good (will re-seal/paint with POR-15 kit) http://www.por15.com/FLOOR-PAN-TRUNK-KIT/productinfo/FPTRK/

Exterior: Paint looks good, but some minor rust on both lower rear quarters to be repaired, vinyl roof is good, wheels are not original (I will probably modernize), front lower valance was dinged up pretty bad (I have removed and finally got it fairly straight) everything else seems to be in good condition.

Trunk; surface rust with about minor 4 pin holes rusted through (repairing with POR-15 kit).

Brakes/Suspension: I've not torn into this yet, but the leaf springs are toast (sagging).

Engine/Trans: Original 340 w/manual transmission. The plan is to rebuild and replace all components.

Questions:
There were wires/connectors pre-positioned under the bucket seats- I'm assuming the seats weren’t powered, so any ideas?
Recommendations for new bumpers?
Recommendations for new leaf springs?
Is there much benefit in converting the rear brakes to disk?
Recomendations for headers (these are aftermarket and beat up pretty bad)
Any other specific things to look at?

Other Parts needed: lock/latch for center console, Rt rectangle chrome trim on front grill, Lt and Rt small L-shape chrome peices on rear quarters (facing trunk).

Here's a link, its a new web page; brand new site, but I'll be adding new picture periodically. Thanks for any assist!
http://cuda72.webs.com/apps/photos/photo/prev?photoid=56050773   

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
Re: Finally starting to restore my '72 Cuda
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009 - 07:50:09 PM »
YES!!  Now the fun begins!   :cooldancing: 

Offline Travis72

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009 - 12:43:06 AM »
Looks like a great starting point!  I'm no expert but I'll give your questions a shot.

Questions:
There were wires/connectors pre-positioned under the bucket seats- I'm assuming the seats weren’t powered, so any ideas?

I bet they are for the seat belt warning light.  Otherwise posting a picture of the connectors would help.

Questions:
Recommendations for new bumpers?

You can either get your original ones re-chromed or there are repops available.  Another option is AAR fiberglass sells a fiberglass front bumper that looks like the factory rubber bumper (I can't spell elastomeric???).   If your original ones are straight and you just want a new look some folks have removed the chrome and painted the stock bumpers body color.

Questions:
Recommendations for new leaf springs?

Tons of options for new leaf springs.  Pick up any Mopar magazine and pick a set from one of the suspension vendors.  Someone else can probably recommend a specific brand, but you probably can't go wrong with any of the big suspension companies for factory type replacement springs.

Questions:
Is there much benefit in converting the rear brakes to disk?

In terms of braking performance, not really in terms of cost effectiveness.  You would be better off spending your money on upgraded the front brakes since they do all the work.  Most people that convert to rear disks do so for the looks or the lighter weight.

Questions:
Recomendations for headers (these are aftermarket and beat up pretty bad)

TTI headers seem to usually fit the best.  Whatever brand you get make sure and get they ceramic coated.  It makes them look a lot better and last a lot longer.

Hope this helps a little.

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline Cuda 72

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009 - 02:58:11 AM »
Thanks Travis- Great info!

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009 - 08:59:17 AM »
 :woohoo: Keep your fingers out of your mouth for a few. :smilielol: 

Looks like a great starting point!!! And lots of help around here. Don't worry...The people here can do anything. They're nutty too! :screwy:    Goin' green w/vinyl top? Have you seen the mopar mag with the green hemi mod top? WoW!!   It has fiberglass err  composite bumpers. I like them in that color... Check it out.  So Keep us posted on the progress...    I love fixn' them up. Gonna'be sweeeeeeeeeet!   R/T  :2thumbs:
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline Cuda 72

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009 - 11:59:23 PM »
Status update:
Got the floors/trunk all repaired and painted with Por-15 (easy enough to use), ordered/installed new plug kit, carpet, window seals (cat whiskers), rear speaker shelf, and rear seat cover (ordered all from Nicks and highly recommend him to anyone- he definitely saved me $$ and is great to work with!). Pulled the heater box and replaced the heater core, fan motor, and squirrel cage (thanks to "Slotts" for hooking me up- thats not an easy part to find.  I decided to experiment with customizing the interior panels (they were in pretty bad shape, so I didn't have much to loose).  The image of the rear panel is the actual color -same as exterior (florescent lights didn't reflect front door panel color very well).

I'm still needing a center console button/latch if anyone has one for sale. The last interior item I'm attacking before moving on to the suspension is the dash (packed and ready to send off to "Ultimate Rides". Again, I'm working through Nicks on this. Thanks again to cuda-challenger.com for all the assist!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009 - 12:01:07 AM by Cuda 72 »

Offline Glennster

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009 - 08:11:23 AM »
GREAT looking Cuda!
Just my two cents worth on the 340, I've got a 340 that is .030'' over and stroked to 416. The torque is big time nice, we went with a dual plane intake and a short duration cam so we'd make lots of torque early. I think it's a great way to go for a street car......
GOOD LUCK with your project!!!

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009 - 08:21:03 AM »
The panels look awesome!!!!  :cheers:

Nice car!

I would spend the extra money and go with TTI headers or a pair of shorties.

There are 3 options for good full headers: Dougs, TTI, and Hooker Super Comp

otherwise you will have something junky that goes below the steering linkage, in my case the tie-rod end used to get jammed on the header in tight turns and it took Hulk strength to get it back before smacking into something.  :faint:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline EDGEFIND

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009 - 11:45:07 AM »
I love the interior colors. Great work! :2thumbs:
-Jay, J.J., James, Jimmy Joe...I answer to all of them.

Offline 70burntorangeT/A

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2009 - 11:55:06 AM »
The panels look awesome!!!!  :cheers:

Nice car!

I would spend the extra money and go with TTI headers or a pair of shorties.

There are 3 options for good full headers: Dougs, TTI, and Hooker Super Comp

otherwise you will have something junky that goes below the steering linkage, in my case the tie-rod end used to get jammed on the header in tight turns and it took Hulk strength to get it back before smacking into something.  :faint:

:iagree:  I thought i would save some money by buying some 180 dollar flowtech aka "craptech" headers. The hit my shock tower brace, steering shaft, starter on one side and the transmission on the other side. And of course they were non-refundable since they were special order.....we spend over 8 hours test fitting and hammering on them to make them fit. Sure i saved 400 dollars over TTI, but they look like crap, they scratched up my shock tower brace on the passsengers side the first time we lowered them in, and it took my father and i 8 hours to make them fit.
66 f-100 black  240 straight 6  3 on the tree.....currently blown up :(
70 challenger burnt orange 440 727 3:23-weekend cruizer

wagesofsin

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2009 - 12:38:14 PM »
looking awesome!!!    :2thumbs:

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2009 - 07:01:38 PM »
I'm a bit too late, but you should have done research on POR, there are too many horror stories.  :2cents:       
Status update:
Got the floors/trunk all repaired and painted with Por-15 (easy enough to use), ordered/installed new plug kit, carpet, window seals (cat whiskers), rear speaker shelf, and rear seat cover (ordered all from Nicks and highly recommend him to anyone- he definitely saved me $$ and is great to work with!). Pulled the heater box and replaced the heater core, fan motor, and squirrel cage (thanks to "Slotts" for hooking me up- thats not an easy part to find.  I decided to experiment with customizing the interior panels (they were in pretty bad shape, so I didn't have much to loose).  The image of the rear panel is the actual color -same as exterior (florescent lights didn't reflect front door panel color very well).

I'm still needing a center console button/latch if anyone has one for sale. The last interior item I'm attacking before moving on to the suspension is the dash (packed and ready to send off to "Ultimate Rides". Again, I'm working through Nicks on this. Thanks again to cuda-challenger.com for all the assist!
Stefan B

Elite Custom Body = AMD Sheetmetal & Glass at great prices !!

Don't do what's easy, do what's right!!

Offline quapman

• Resident
    • Auto-Grip on Facebook
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2009 - 07:37:50 PM »
I'm a bit too late, but you should have done research on POR, there are too many horror stories.  :2cents:     

Can you elaborate?

Cuda 72...nice car. Love the two-tone interior. Welcome to the madness!
My name is Steve and I'm addicted to Challengers...

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2009 - 08:33:52 PM »
POR-15 has failed numerous times on many restorations where people spent alot of money on bodywork and paint, just Google it.If you must have a coating that helps blocking moisture, and actually stays.  where you apply it without peeling,spend money on Silver Bullet.
Quote from: quapman
 link=topic=62938.msg662185#msg662185 date=1261355870
Can you elaborate?

Cuda 72...nice car. Love the two-tone interior. Welcome to the madness!
Stefan B

Elite Custom Body = AMD Sheetmetal & Glass at great prices !!

Don't do what's easy, do what's right!!

Offline mopardave

• Sponsor
  • Resident
  • 1973 Challenger F8 in and out, 68 383,727 3.23 pos
    • rosevillemoparts
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2009 - 08:34:47 PM »
we have used their metal ready which is a zinc phosfate wash and have had no issues. I did my challenger with por about 15 years ago and still have had no issues, 2 other cars since and 2 cars at work. it is not fool proof and i am sure it may has chemical reactions with products if not cured or prepped right.

is that F6 or F7 ? looks good anyway.
Mopar Dave
Rosevillemoparts.com

if I haven't replied to your post or PM email me direct    dradcliffe@mikeriehls.com

70 FK5 Challenger RT/SE
70 FC7 70 Road Runner - Sold
71 FM3 Challenger RT
71 Cuda (in process for restoration)
73 F8 Challenger
1990 XJ - sold
2000 Dakota Quad Cab
2010 Ram Crew Cab 2500 4wd - sold
2015 Ram Crew Cab 2500 4wd Black Out