Author Topic: Starter?Ignition switch?  (Read 893 times)

Offline Purple73Cuda

Starter?Ignition switch?
« on: October 23, 2009 - 12:51:19 PM »
I moved the '66 Charger (383-4V Automatic) yesterday to do some work in the garage and to move the 'Cuda next to the road runner. It started fine. I let it run for a while and let it get up to full temp. That was about 3 PM. I got in the car at around 10:30PM to move the car back in front of the garage. It fired and started right away. It ran for a short time and stalled. (It didn't go onto high idle.) I went to start it again and all I got was a click. I got a flashlight out and popped the hood. I crossed the terminals on the starter relay, same thing. I got under the car and crossed the terminals at the starter, the same result, a click. I also hit the starter with a hammer a few times. It sounds like the starter is trying to engage into the flywheel. Is it possible the starter gear is in between teeth of the flywheel? Is the starter bad? What did I miss? It was late and dark last night. The car is on the grass so it will be fun jacking it up and putting it on jack stands (with wood under them) to change the starter. Could the ignition switch be bad?
John
'73 Cuda 340
'70 RR 440+6
'66 Charger 383

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Starter?Ignition switch?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009 - 01:38:38 PM »
it is defiantly a problem with the starter if you shorted the satrter & it did nothing so either the starter is jammed or failed or the beattery is low which I doubt

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Purple73Cuda

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009 - 01:44:58 PM »
I don't think the battery is low. It seems like the starter is jammed. I have never seen a jammed starter in the 30 years I have been playing with Mopars.
I will try to check it Sunday. We are supposed to get a lot of rain Sat.
John
'73 Cuda 340
'70 RR 440+6
'66 Charger 383

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009 - 03:42:02 PM »
Don't rule out a bad battery cable... sounds like the classic symptom. 
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline dodge freak 2

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009 - 07:54:15 PM »
You always can check for a frozen motor by turning it over by the crank pully bolt. My brother ruined two motors by never checking the oil level, lol.

I doubt it is it but an easy check.

Same with checking the battery, take a digital voltmeter and see if its got 12.5 volts or more--if its like 11.9 it could be it. My 3 year old Optima went bad a few weeks back.

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009 - 09:39:31 PM »
  Try to turn the motor over by hand or with a socket at the front of the crank, if the starter is stuck that can throw it out.   :2cents:
Dave

Offline Purple73Cuda

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009 - 07:50:54 AM »
Thanks guys! These are all good suggestions.
I didn't get a chance to look at it this weekend.
John
'73 Cuda 340
'70 RR 440+6
'66 Charger 383

Offline Purple73Cuda

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009 - 12:29:13 PM »
I fixed the problem!!!
I checked the battery, it was good. I cleaned all the connections, not the problem. I checked for voltage at the starter when the ignition key was turned to start, It was fine. I turned the crank with a socket to make sure the motor wasn't seized. As soon as I turned the crank, I heard a click from the starter. I pulled the starter out and checked it with a battery charger. It spun and when I stopped crossing the terminals, the gear stayed out (as if it was engaged in the flywheel).
So, to make a long story short, the starter was bad. I put another in and the Charger fired right up.
The starter it turns out is the original starter with a casting date of 1965. It appears that the white insulator(?) where the two terminals are, has a crack. Can I replace this part? The insulator doesn't bolt on like the later starters I had laying around do. Who rebuilds these starters that won't hack it up? What causes the Bendix to stay out and not retract back like it should? Are there parts available for me to repair the starter? Where can I buy them?
Thanks to all for their input on this problem.
John
'73 Cuda 340
'70 RR 440+6
'66 Charger 383

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009 - 09:15:30 PM »
they can be disassembled & the ceramic replaced , , as I recall there is a wire that needs to be soldered / unsoldered to get it all apart

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t