Author Topic: FueL/Vent Line Questions  (Read 3407 times)

Offline 70challengersix

FueL/Vent Line Questions
« on: October 25, 2009 - 08:09:35 PM »
Can anyone tell me where and how the vent line from the fuel filler terminates under the car for a 70 challenger 440 six pack car? The tube goes through the trunk floor and heads towards the tank under the car.  Does this line stay open?

Also, my car had a few fuel line mods when I received it and it did not include the vapor separator.  Can someone post a pic of where this separator is located on the car and how it attached to the main and return lines and fuel pump?

Thanks in advance.

Offline DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

• Resident
  • Still My Inspiration..1971, Rockingham, Nc
Re: FueL/Vent Line Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009 - 08:31:58 PM »
I have a 440 with the two fuel lines.........A 3/8" delivery and  5/16" vapor return.  The seperator attaches with one of the fuel pump bolts.  The line in the trunk as my pic shows actually attaches to the filler tube on the forward side of the neck with a short rubber tube. It terminates thru the trunk floor and into the frame itself thru a hole in the frame.  Not a tight fit in the frame just a place to put it in.  At least thats what I did.  May be rignt, may not. 

Found a few more pics.  My underside looks better than that now.!!! But that shows where I terminated my vent tube. 
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009 - 08:52:09 PM by DAYLEY/CHALLENGER »
Dave or David

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009 - 12:39:47 PM »
In 1970 a car built for sale in California would have the same set-up as all the 71 Challengers witch is different than the pics that were posted.  What set-up do you have?  The other system uses a large separator that is mounted inside the trunk right behind the passengers wheelwell.

Offline 70challengersix

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009 - 01:40:51 PM »
Thanks for the pics Dave - very useful.  So then the vent is just an open tube in the frame?  Do you know if there is a short rubber hose connected to the end of the steel line that penetrates the trunk floor?

Also - my car is not an LA built car and therefore probably did not have the vapor separator setup that the CA cars had.

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009 - 01:55:51 PM »
It doesn't matter where the car was built.  It matters where the car was being shipped to.  Cars built in LA could be shipped to a state that didn't require the emission systems.

Offline 70challengersix

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009 - 03:18:01 PM »
car was shipped to seattle wa.

Offline DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

• Resident
  • Still My Inspiration..1971, Rockingham, Nc
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009 - 07:01:10 PM »
The tube going thru the floor goes thru a rubber grommet.  There is nothing on the end of the tube in the frame.   Like I said........it may be right or it may be all wrong..............Mine was built in  LA.  Don't know where it was shipped originally but ended up in NC several years back.
Dave or David

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009 - 07:50:39 PM »
1970 cars with N95 are a seperate issue, the vapor seperator for them is in the trunk.

The vapor seperator above is not related to N95.

The N95 system for 1971 is not the same as the 1970 system.

Offline 70challengersix

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009 - 08:11:56 PM »
Thanks Dave - I have another friend who's six pack car is also as you describe.  This very well may be correct.

Barry - thanks for the info on the N95 option.  My car does not have that option.  If you remember Barry, you stopped by and looked at the car (green with yellow stripe)  when you visited seattle a few years ago.  Its slowly coming back together and I am hoping to have it finished by spring.  You are a very good rescource and thanks for the decoding.

Dan

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009 - 09:52:38 PM »
Hey Dan,
I remember that quite well. I did not connect you with your user name though. Looking forward to seeing the car finished for sure.  :thumbsup:

Barry

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009 - 12:42:28 AM »
my car has excatly the same vent line terminating inside the frame , it is left open & has no rubber sections in the line

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline willard

• 1970 Challenger R/T
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010 - 02:10:50 PM »
Here is how the it looked like under trunk of my car:

Now the car is redone but I have no pictues how this part of N95 installation should look like - was there any shield? Should there be rubber hoses or steel lines? Please post photos!
1970 383 R/T SE