Author Topic: reproduction flip top gas cap  (Read 4103 times)

Offline dixiedog

reproduction flip top gas cap
« on: October 26, 2009 - 01:17:46 PM »
Okay guys & girls (I almost messed up there and just put guys), I bought a flip top gas cap for my 70 challenger.  It doesn't look right, it has a plastic inner part that causes it to stick out from the quarter panel to much.  Has anybody had any experience with this or am I being overly critical?  Any input is appreciated.  Thanks, Danny 

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
Re: reproduction flip top gas cap
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009 - 01:20:50 PM »
Can you post a picture? It sounds like the correct cap with the correct spacing to me.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009 - 04:28:02 PM »
Are the quarters origonal or were they replaced.  If they were replaced, who made them?  Goodmark quarters require some work around the filler kneck opening.  If that area isn't fixed, the end result will be a flip top gas cap that doesn't sit flush with the body.

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009 - 05:00:48 PM »
I bought a re pop from P&G it fit perfect. I don't remember a plastic part? :clueless:
I agree post a picture!
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline dixiedog

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009 - 01:24:50 PM »
The quarters were replaced with goodmark quarters.  The gas cap has a plastic inner part the screws go through to hold it on.  I saw that the opening will need more work but it looks like it will still be sticking out to far.  I will see about posting a pic. after the quarter has been worked and we mock it up.  Thanks for the responses, very helpful, as always.  Danny

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009 - 01:49:33 PM »
Found these pictures online real quick to show the fitment of the flip top gas cap. They aren't perfect pictures, but hopefully they are good enough for you to be able to compare.

Offline Kapteenikosmos

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009 - 02:25:23 PM »
The goodmark quarter panel skins are way off on the filler neck area. I cut that area from my original panel and used that to replace the poorly stamped opening on the quarter skin. I have a pg classics flip top and it fits perfect on the original opening.
1967 six banger Mustang
1973 Challenger (under restoration)
1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (daily driver)

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009 - 02:28:45 PM »
I experienced the same thing with a goodmark quarter skin. When i stuffed the quarter on my challenger back in '02 the body shop ordered a skin and then when it arrived decided to repair the original quarter instead of installing the skin.

Offline Kapteenikosmos

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009 - 02:59:53 PM »
 :iagree:

If I would have known how bad the skin really was I would have also repaired the original quarter. The problem was that this was my first car project ever and changing the quarter panel was one of the first sheet metal works I did, so I really didn't have any "eye" for the possible issues back then. After many many hours of banging, cutting and welding I ended up with something decent. It still has pretty much bondo on couple of places and the shape isn't quite right if compared to the original, but it is very hard to see without knowing it.

The skin is mainly good for cutting out patch panels. The wheel well is fairly close to what it should be and mayby the lower rear part of the skin is also usable. The door opening edge is horrible as is the filler panel opening and side marker recession. Also the curvature of the bodyline where it bends into the tailight panel is just amazingly bad.

Well, hopefully my next project goes better in the terms of using repro panels.  :violin:

1967 six banger Mustang
1973 Challenger (under restoration)
1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (daily driver)

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009 - 03:57:37 PM »
The older skins are really bad.  That's what was origonally installed on my 73 in the late 90's.  The side marker area wasn't even close.  The guy that did the work didn't know what he was doing so it all had to be replaced.  What is on the car right now is Goodmark's "full" quarters.  They are alot beter than the skins but still need some work in the filler area.  The side marker lights fit almost perfectly in the "full" quarters.

I first heard about the gas cap issue on Moparts.  A member there had his car all painted before he realized the flip top gas cap didn't fit.  He ended up cutting the inner mounting point for the fuel filler kneck off the quarter and used a section of his origonal quarter as an adapter of some kind on the inside of the trunk.  He says it works pretty good and you can't tell anything is strange until you open the cap to fill up the tank. 

The guys that are doing my car fitted all of that stuff to the new quarters before paint.  They have the origonal "standard" gas cap and filler tube and made sure the cap sat flush to the body.  I also bought new wheelwell trim ,tail panel trim and side marker lights so they could be fitted to the car.  It's best to deal with all those issues before the car is painted.  I"ve seen some really nice cars with front wheelwell trim but NO rear trim because they couldn't get it to fit once the car was painted. :stomp: 

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009 - 05:03:23 PM »
New quarters I had put on last year were great.  The hole for the filler neck is angled on the Goodmarks, which is why the flip tops need a little "massaging".  Just grind a little bit off the outside edges of the 3 mounting tabs, and it will sit perfect.

Offline rallye73

• Model cars for the big boys!!
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009 - 08:52:05 PM »
We modified the goodmark quarters on my 73 also. We cut the filler section from the original quarter and welded it in the new one prior to welding it on the car. My 71 will get the AMD full quarters for sure.
John Moorman
1971 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed (waiting it's turn)
1973 Challenger Rallye 340 4 speed (undergoing full resto)
2003 Dodge SRT-4 Stage 3 turbo daily driver-been as fast as 11.97et
1995 Dodge Neon Sport Coupe DOHC 5 speed Nitro-yellow-green (one of 527 built)