Author Topic: Moving leaf springs in for more tire space?  (Read 5758 times)

Offline Kevin71

Moving leaf springs in for more tire space?
« on: October 27, 2009 - 08:38:09 AM »
I want to move my leaf springs in on a 71 Challenger.  Are some kits better than others.  What about off set shackles, do these work well.  Also if you move the springs inward a couple of inches does this affect handling?  At the same time I am going to get a new set of leaf springs from springs and things that will raise it 2".  Also what about adding a sway bar.  Don't they bolt to the leaf spring bracket on the rear end.  If it does then a normal one would be to long. :working:

Offline 71cudajoe

• 71 Cuda Restoration Project
Re: Moving leaf springs in for more tire space?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009 - 10:35:48 AM »
I've had a bolt-on offset shackle kit (shackles and spring hangers) on my last two ebody cars. The kits I bought were extremely sturdy -- no handling problems. They only move the springs in 3/4", but that's enough room to get a 10" wheel and 275 - 295 tire to fit.

There are some offset shackle kits out there that require cutting and welding. I accidentally bought one of these when I was looking for an offset kit for my first Cuda. I found a bolt-on version but -- at the time -- was a little concerned about their sturdiness. No worries, though. They worked great, and they are incredibly easy to install. No mods to the body are required. 
David - '71 HEMI Cuda Retro-mod
FOR PICS VISIT www.71cuda.net

Offline Kevin71

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009 - 10:59:18 AM »
I take it they just bolt on, no welding required.

Offline Kevin71

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009 - 11:03:05 AM »
Also who did you get these from.

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009 - 11:42:53 AM »
Some get the Dr. Diff set-up, I bought the Mopar set-up from Summitracing.com

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DCC-4120076/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DCC-4120078/
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline 71cudajoe

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009 - 02:00:00 PM »
Also who did you get these from.

I have to look up the name -- I can't quite remember as it has been over a year ago that I purchased my last set. It was a small company on the east coast, I believe. I was directed to them while I was looking for other parts. I'll look through my receipts and get some contact information if you want. Or...I believe I have a full set that I'm not using if you'd be interested.

Offline Kevin71

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009 - 02:46:46 PM »
Do you have the front and rear.  I what would want for them.  Also are the bushings poly or does it matter on just the hangers.

Offline 71cudajoe

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009 - 04:17:53 PM »
Do you have the front and rear.  I what would want for them.  Also are the bushings poly or does it matter on just the hangers.

By the "front", do you mean the hanger brackets? If so... yes, I do have the offset hanger brackets and the offset shackles. I recommend you also purchase a set of spring mount reinforcement plates for the backside of the hanger brackets just to add a little more stability to the frame when you mount them. I don't have bushings in the shackles. I used standard rubber ones in mine, but you could use poly if you want. I can dig them out and get pictures of them for you so that you can see exactly what they look like.

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009 - 04:44:12 PM »
There are three easily available kits to do this. 1) Mopars 3/4" relocation kit. Bolts in and retains stock alignment, it simply moves everything over 3/4". 2) Dr Diff 1" relocation kit. It also bolts in. I have not seen these in person, but I think it moves the springs geometry from splayed to parallel. 3) Mopar 2" relcoation kit which requires cutting the front frame rails and welding in new mounts. This kit moves the springs in far enough that you can min-tub the wheel wells. Any of these kits will create enough room for a 10" wheel easily.

Relocating the springs inward does change the leverage ratio on the springs, so the further in you move the springs, the higher the spring rate will need to be to compensate for the additional leverage. However, with that said, it isn't a huge change and most drivers would be hard pressed to be able to tell the difference between the two. I did the calculations for a member on here once, and while I don't remember the actual difference, it wasn't huge.

Also, keep in mind that the factory set up of the leafs in an E body is a splayed design. That is, the front mount is narrower in width than the rear mount. This design increases the roll resistence already inherent in a leaf spring, which is a good thing. Moving the springs to a parallel position does reduce some of this roll resistence, but like above, it is a slight change that most people probably won't notice.  However, combine several of these factors together, and things may feel a little softer in the turns. You could overcome this with the of a sway bar. If you do move the springs in, you may be able to use a B body rear sway bar instead of an E body bar because they are somewhat narrower in width. But, it depends on the make and mounting method on how well the bar will fit.

Offline Kevin71

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009 - 07:13:38 PM »
I spoke with Cass at Dr Diff and purchased the 1" offset shackles and hangers.  I already was going to swap the rear end out.  So I am going with a B body rear end as they adviced I wouldn't have to move the mounts.  Also a B body sway bar would bolt up because the brackets are the same.  Thanks for the advice and info.

Offline 71cudajoe

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009 - 08:44:52 PM »
I just checked my receipts and was reminded that I purchased my 3/4" spring relocation kit from Dr. Diff. I talked with Cass. He was an incredible help -- great guy to work with.