Author Topic: Axle bearings  (Read 1134 times)

Offline Tonefiend

• ▬▬▬▬ ♫ ♠ ♫ ▬▬▬▬
  • '70 Challenger
    • Ian A. Guitars
Axle bearings
« on: October 27, 2009 - 10:13:46 PM »
Thinking of going to Green bearings for my rear axel.  How much of a pita are the stock bearings and seals?  They leak now but they have come loose 2x due to a lousy mechanic. 

Anyone have any input on the installation and use?  Is it then possible to swap out the pumpkin without changing the seals?

Offline Bluemonster71RT

Re: Axle bearings
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009 - 10:43:10 PM »
There are a ton threads on this subject that offer alot of super useful info. Just do a search :bigsmile: I'm not trying to be rude by saying that but there are a poop load of threads about this.
1971 Challenger RT 383 4spd

Offline Tonefiend

• ▬▬▬▬ ♫ ♠ ♫ ▬▬▬▬
  • '70 Challenger
    • Ian A. Guitars
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009 - 12:11:12 AM »
THanks good idea there IS a ton of info there!

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009 - 01:02:37 AM »
I stay away from the green brgs where possible , the tapered roller is indestructable & the seals work well when the end play is set

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Tonefiend

• ▬▬▬▬ ♫ ♠ ♫ ▬▬▬▬
  • '70 Challenger
    • Ian A. Guitars
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009 - 04:15:12 AM »
Staying away from Green bearings, I am going to reuse my old ones and replace the seals. 

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009 - 01:54:00 PM »
I had a BAAAAD leak one one side.......redid the seals and still had a leak.....

I think that I may have messed up the seal when trying to seat it the first time....

WHen I was trying to install the axle seal the second time I realized I pushed it in too far and ruined it....so a THIRD seal went in......this time being way more careful.

So far, so good...no leaks.....(I also have a sloppy axle tube hole but thats another story altogether...LOL)...crossing my fingers.

As far as it coming loose, seems like if the passenger side adjustment is made right to begin with and clamped down with the locking tab, it will stay put....