Author Topic: 440 Water Pump Housing Question  (Read 3593 times)

Offline mojavered

• Someday!
440 Water Pump Housing Question
« on: October 31, 2009 - 05:27:30 PM »
I am cleaning up my water pump housing right now.  There are some inlet/outlet nipples on there, I believe for the heater core but not positive.  If you are looking at the engine from the front, they are to the left of the Thermostat.  Can someone please tell me what these are called?  It looks like there might be some kind of cloth on the bottom of the smaller one (inside the housing)?  Can these be bought new?  Where? 

The larger one is off, but I tried to take the smaller one off and it is on there pretty good.  I am afraid that if I take it off, I may damage it.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009 - 06:08:07 PM by mojavered »
Jason

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
Re: 440 Water Pump Housing Question
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009 - 06:52:22 PM »
You can find them on ebay. Nothing is cloth. You will damage the small one taking it out. It bends easy. Heater hose nipples

Offline mojavered

• Someday!
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009 - 07:30:00 PM »
That was easy, and fast!  Thanks!
Jason

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009 - 01:02:19 PM »
the heater nipples a available new from Mancinis

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009 - 10:45:25 PM »
I put a bolt into it then use a big pipe wrench on it. The bolt will keep it round.

I would just leave it in and blast the housing with it on there. A hose will cover it later anyway. Blow out that "cloth" with air.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline mojavered

• Someday!
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009 - 12:45:04 AM »
Thanks all.  I tried to run a wire brush over the smaller one and blow it out with air.  It seems that there is some kind of fuzzy material on there that will not come off.  I am going to break it off tomorrow with a big wrench.
Putting the new ones on, is it alright to use teflon tape, that copper stuff (not sure what it is called) that is used on header bolts, or just put nothing on it?  Thanks!
Jason

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009 - 07:11:03 AM »
I use Teflon tape or liquid teflon pipe sealer. Do not put it on without any sealer on it. It's just like any pipe threaded water pipe in your house; put it on dry and it will leak.

Do you have the housing off of the engine? try the bolt in it, like I suggested. It should come out without breaking it.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

Offline mojavered

• Someday!
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009 - 09:06:46 AM »
Will do, thanks. 
Jason

Offline mojavered

• Someday!
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009 - 12:10:40 PM »
That "cloth" stuff that I was talking about is on a screen that comes out of the smaller diameter nipple.  I think that it is just a build up from time.  How important is it to put a screen back in there?
Jason

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009 - 02:23:40 PM »
That "cloth" stuff that I was talking about is on a screen that comes out of the smaller diameter nipple.  I think that it is just a build up from time.  How important is it to put a screen back in there?
Hmmm      I had a lot of big block water pumps and never saw a screen on any of the heater core nipples, big or small. That screen look factory? 
Rob

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009 - 02:43:07 PM »
I've had the inside of the heater hose rot onto the tube and the liner threads and weaving from the hose was stuck to the nipple. You may just be seeing something simular to that

Offline mojavered

• Someday!
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009 - 03:04:10 PM »
I pulled the nipple out and attached to it is a screen.  On the screen is some type of build up I guess that looks like it could be cloth.  I am sure tha tit is not, but it just looks that way.  Is it important that the screen goes back in?  The ID of the new one is smaller than the ID of the old one.
Jason

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009 - 03:19:58 PM »
It is up to you. The smaller nipple is on the suction side of the pump so all it will do is clog that return hose from the heater core. By then whatever comes to the screen already went through the temp control valve, then the heater core.
Rob