Author Topic: Is this valve for A/C only?  (Read 5655 times)

Offline quapman

• Resident
    • Auto-Grip on Facebook
Re: Is this valve for A/C only?
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2009 - 06:22:34 PM »
I have a couple NOS valves, but don't want to turn this into a "parts for sale" ad. PM me for details.
My name is Steve and I'm addicted to Challengers...

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2009 - 12:10:45 AM »
So this is probably beating a dead horse but...

this valve is stock for '70-72

The all metal type is stock for '73-74. The one currently in your car looks aftermarket, but the originals for those years are pretty similar.

Unless you get the non-AC heater box you'll need to keep the valve. The non-A/C box has manual vent handles, the A/C box does not. So, if you disable the valve and don't switch boxes, you'll find that you always have some amount of heat in the car. And at highway speeds its practically like having the heater on.

I've become pretty familiar with this phenomenon because my A/C doesn't work, and I lack a heater valve cable. So I zip tie the valve shut in the summer and open it in the winter. Sadly, in the spring and fall I have issues, since I need the heat for the defroster but don't need it later in the day when its nice and warm. But even with the blower motor off and the valve open, you get a fair amount of heat in the car.

One of these days I need to get a heater valve cable, fix the vacuum operated heater door and sort out all of my vent tubes... ::)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009 - 12:12:42 AM by 72bluNblu »

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2009 - 07:46:36 AM »
news to me - I was sure I had only seen the bakelite valves in parts illustrations of AC cars. Good to know when looking at those "correct" cars   
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
07' Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl cab in Speedway Blue!
01' Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2010 - 12:50:46 AM »
One of mine cracked around one of the screw holes too so I had to put a newer style on like in the picture above.  I got it at autozone for a newer challenger.

Common problem on the OEM units. Same thing happened to mine when my car had A/C. Bought a NOS and a few yrs later happened again.
Mike, Fremont, CA.