Author Topic: 6-Pak Carbs - Only Runs Well with Center one on  (Read 2299 times)

Offline cwestra

6-Pak Carbs - Only Runs Well with Center one on
« on: November 03, 2009 - 06:47:01 PM »
Trying to get my engine dialed in but it only seems to run decent when the outboard carbs are removed and replaced with a plate.  Anyone else with 5-Pak set-up have a similar problem?
Corey - in Northern Indiana

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
Re: 6-Pak Carbs - Only Runs Well with Center one on
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009 - 06:53:52 PM »
Sounds to me the outside carbs are leaking and need a kit in them.  :2cents: 6 pack by the way not a 5 pack.   :2cents:
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline cwestra

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009 - 07:58:23 PM »
Sounds to me the outside carbs are leaking and need a kit in them.  :2cents: 6 pack by the way not a 5 pack.   :2cents:
Carbs, actually, were just rebuilt.  Thanks for catching my error.  May be better off with a 4-Pak if I can't get these temperamental fuel dumps to work properly.

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009 - 08:17:25 PM »
What jets are in the center?   Stock was 62 or 63   6.5 power valve and number 35 plates in the outboards, then the air mixture screw work best on the outboard carbs when turn out 1/4 to no more than 1/2 .   What is your set up?  bb or sb?  And whats in your carb tune up jet wise and PV?

Offline cwestra

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009 - 09:08:31 PM »
What jets are in the center?   Stock was 62 or 63   6.5 power valve and number 35 plates in the outboards, then the air mixture screw work best on the outboard carbs when turn out 1/4 to no more than 1/2 .   What is your set up?  bb or sb?  And whats in your carb tune up jet wise and PV?
Great questions, Al.  About the only one I know I can answer correctly is the one about the engine.  It's a T/A 340.  How do I determine the jet numbers, etc...?  The air mixture screw you refer to must be the one on the metering block on the center carb, as I see no adjustment capabilitiy (aside from float level) for the outboards. 

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009 - 09:26:09 PM »
The bottom throttle plates on the outboard carbs has either 2 soft plugs or they were removed and there would be mixture screws to adjust there.

Myself?  I would pull the center bowel, see what jets and power valve you have, look at the center squirter (28) I believe then pull the outer bowels and see if you see a number 35 on the plates, then check and see if the mixture screws on the outboard carbs have been moved out to much or closed right off

Offline 6packCuda

• Eagle, NE... Member since 11/17/06
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009 - 10:19:04 PM »
You say it runs bad with all three carbs hooked up. What exactly does it do? Bogging, hesitation, flooding, rough idle, sneezing, coughing, farting? All of the above?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009 - 10:21:48 PM by 6packCuda »
Dave

Offline cwestra

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009 - 07:37:10 AM »
The bottom throttle plates on the outboard carbs has either 2 soft plugs or they were removed and there would be mixture screws to adjust there.

Myself?  I would pull the center bowel, see what jets and power valve you have, look at the center squirter (28) I believe then pull the outer bowels and see if you see a number 35 on the plates, then check and see if the mixture screws on the outboard carbs have been moved out to much or closed right off
I'll check them out.  I see the plugs on the base of the outboards.  They're metal (see pic).  I also see the tip of the adjusting screw protruding to the inside of the carb.  Based on this, I assume no adjustment is available, right?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009 - 07:38:44 AM by cwestra »

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009 - 07:49:24 AM »
They can be adjusted but you have to remove the plug.  I have done that several times.
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline cwestra

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009 - 08:02:17 AM »
You say it runs bad with all three carbs hooked up. What exactly does it do? Bogging, hesitation, flooding, rough idle, sneezing, coughing, farting? All of the above?
When all 3 are on, I can't get the engine to idle below about 1,900 with idle screw backed out and it runs rough.  When I rev the engine it continues to be rough.  Can't tell if it's lean or rich.  When I swap out the outboards with the plates it make a huge difference.

When I bought the car 7 years ago it came with all original carbs but only the center was on the car.  Evidently he had issues with the outboards also.  My brother rebuilt the carbs during the restoration so I was expecting the problem to be gone. 

Offline cwestra

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009 - 08:03:40 AM »
They can be adjusted but you have to remove the plug.  I have done that several times.
Why are they even plugged?  Makes me think that I shouldn't need to be messing with them.

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009 - 08:06:51 AM »
Why are they even plugged?  Makes me think that I shouldn't need to be messing with them.

Well they did that so not everyone could adjust them and it was for emissions.  Not meaning that they should not be adjusted but to keep some from adjusting them.  You might have to remove the plugs and clean the screw adjusters then adjust them to get them to run correctly.

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009 - 08:08:07 AM »
the car came that way?...maybe it has something to do with the intake manifold?? Have you checked it?
72 Roadrunner 400-4 Auto-3.23 Gear-Black Cruiser
71 Cuda 440-6 Tribute-Limelight-A833 Close Ratio-4 Sp-Pistol Grip-Dana 3.54 Powr Lok-Rally Dash-Shaker (Sold)
92 Dodge Stealth RT-Twin 15g Turbos-SAFC2 Tuned-Mystic Blue-5 Sp-AWD-Rear Wheel Steering-AutoX'r (Sold)
12 Dodge Charger SXT Plus Blacktop Package-3.6L-8 Sp-Leather-Nav (the wife's)

Multiple SRT's, Rams, Dakotas, Caravans and Neons

...the lines on the road just look like dots!....

Offline cwestra

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009 - 08:10:39 AM »
the car came that way?...maybe it has something to do with the intake manifold?? Have you checked it?
What would I be looking for?

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2009 - 08:25:01 AM »
How long did the carbs sit before being installed to run?

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon