Author Topic: 6-Pak Carbs - Only Runs Well with Center one on  (Read 2287 times)

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
Re: 6-Pak Carbs - Only Runs Well with Center one on
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2009 - 06:25:00 PM »
They should be closed off completely.  That is most likely your problem Have you tryed to lossen the blades and move them around in the boar to see if that helps?  Just wondered what else could be holding them open.  Hope this helps
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline cwestra

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2009 - 06:27:56 PM »
They should be closed off completely.  That is most likely your problem Have you tryed to lossen the blades and move them around in the boar to see if that helps?  Just wondered what else could be holding them open.  Hope this helps
I did try loosening and repositioning but didn't have much luck.  Is there a trick to it?  Are the plates identical or matched to the bore?  You say "completely".  Does that mean I shouldn't see any light coming past?  Thanks.
Corey - in Northern Indiana

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2009 - 06:31:48 PM »
You should not see any light.  Did you loosen them and then open and shut the throttle?  Did you use any carb cleaner on the shaft?  might be sticky so to speak.   :bigsmile:
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline cwestra

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2009 - 06:57:50 PM »
You should not see any light.  Did you loosen them and then open and shut the throttle?  Did you use any carb cleaner on the shaft?  might be sticky so to speak.   :bigsmile:
I'll try messing with them again.  I would think I should be able to get them lined up correctly.  At least I know what the objective is now.  Thanks for your help.

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2009 - 07:03:32 PM »
No problem  :2thumbs: just wanted to help if I could.  Try to help here where I can for sure.  I had a couple of 6 packs and that is why I know some about these and have mess with carbs for a long time.   :2thumbs:  :bigsmile:

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2009 - 09:06:29 PM »
Those pics show part or most of your problem. The plates should be completely closed

Offline cwestra

« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2009 - 09:38:47 PM »
Yea.  I just pulled the throttle plates.  I didn't realize it but they're tapered such that if they are put in upside down they won't fit right.  One was flipped wrong and the other was right causing the correct side to remain partially open.  Even the flipped side didn't close correctly all around.  Anyway, got one carb flipped correctly and it makes a big difference visually.  Still a small gap around the sides but that I can't change.  We'll see how the car runs tomorrow.  As usual, thanks everyone for the assistance.

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2009 - 09:43:40 PM »
BE SURE that the throttle plate screws you used are tight and secure. THEY CAN FALL OUT

Offline 6packCuda

• Eagle, NE... Member since 11/17/06
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2009 - 09:47:18 PM »
BE SURE that the throttle plate screws you used are tight and secure. THEY CAN FALL OUT
:iagree: I'd put a little thread locker on them suckers.
Dave

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2009 - 10:33:46 PM »
Once you get the plates to close all the way, that should fix your problem. Don't peen or locktight the screw yet till you know if the problem is gone. I've seen cases where you had to bush the shaft bore to repair a worn base plate but it is usually the center carb needing the bushing. When adjusting your plates, try to note any side to side motion of the shaft at both ends.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009 - 10:42:33 PM by ShelbyDogg »
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2009 - 10:36:08 PM »
 :iagree:  That is a very good point there!

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon