71 Cuda - New Door Glass Fitment Problems

Author Topic: 71 Cuda - New Door Glass Fitment Problems  (Read 17960 times)

Offline 71cudajoe

• 71 Cuda Restoration Project
71 Cuda - New Door Glass Fitment Problems
« on: November 03, 2009 - 09:24:25 PM »
I'm in the process of replacing the door and quarter window glass in my 71 Cuda. I bought new repro glass to replace the old scratched originals. This is an all-new process for me, and I'm having some trouble. I was hoping if I could explain the problem well enough that someone on this forum might have some insight they could share that might help me figure out if I can fix it. 

I started with the passenger door. With my brother's help, I figured out how to remove the original glass and install the new piece. One thing I should've done but didn't was compare the original glass to the new when I had them both out of the car -- everything looked good according to the eye, but I didn't take exacting measurements. I assumed all was well (maybe that's my problem). Anyway, I got the new glass installed, and now when I roll it all the way up, it doesn't align properly. I've taken a few pictures and provided some further explanation below.

This is a picture of the window rolled up all the way. It appears to be tilted towards the backside. I can't close the door with the window up because the rear, upper corner of the glass overlaps the chrome trim on the quarter window.

I know it's difficult to tell from these photos, but the back edge of the door glass angles backward from the bottom where it meets the door to the top corner. The next two picture show the door closed as far as it will go. The upper left corner of the door glass is actually touching the quarter glass chrome. It seems that this upper, rear corner needs to tilt forward, but I can't find anywhere on the track or with the window itself where I can make any adjustments in this manner.

Now, I know there are some adjustments I can make to the positioning of the tracks. In fact, I had to adjust the bolts on the bottom of the door (as shown below) to move the front track inwards (towards the interior of the car) just a little so that the window wouldn't press so tightly against the window seal – but I can’t find any way to tilt or adjust the tracks and glass forward. 

Do you think this is a problem with the glass, or is there some way I can make other adjustments get it positioned better?
David - '71 HEMI Cuda Retro-mod
FOR PICS VISIT www.71cuda.net

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
Re: 71 Cuda - New Door Glass Fitment Problems
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009 - 09:56:58 PM »
The tracks also have an adjustment at the top. The screw near the top of the front track is the adjustment to align the glass with the 'A' pillar and roof. There is a hole in the glass when the window is raised to access that screw. Then adjust the windows 'in/out' alignment (with the roof rail weatherstrip) with the bolts you access from the bottom of the door. Where the front track attaches to the bottom bracket there is more adjustment available for improving the "A" pillar/roof alignment.
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline 71cudajoe

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009 - 10:38:18 PM »
The tracks also have an adjustment at the top. The screw near the top of the front track is the adjustment to align the glass with the 'A' pillar and roof. There is a hole in the glass when the window is raised to access that screw. Then adjust the windows 'in/out' alignment (with the roof rail weatherstrip) with the bolts you access from the bottom of the door. Where the front track attaches to the bottom bracket there is more adjustment available for improving the "A" pillar/roof alignment.

I knew I could count on you guys. Thanks so much for the expertise. I'll check it out and see what I can do with that.

Offline UKcuda

• Tell them I'm on my way
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009 - 05:01:03 AM »
There is also another adjustment you need to know about to help fix that problem properly:

On the inside door skin about half way from the middle towards the back of the door there is some adjustment for the regulator assembly.  I can't remember exactly but I think it's a couple of half inch bolts in slots (might just be one).

If you slack that off you can move one end of the glass support assembly up and down which tilts the glass in the way you need for your problem.
'72 'cuda

Offline 71cudajoe

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009 - 09:21:50 AM »
There is also another adjustment you need to know about to help fix that problem properly:

On the inside door skin about half way from the middle towards the back of the door there is some adjustment for the regulator assembly.  I can't remember exactly but I think it's a couple of half inch bolts in slots (might just be one).

If you slack that off you can move one end of the glass support assembly up and down which tilts the glass in the way you need for your problem.

Awesome. Thank you so much!

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009 - 11:30:08 AM »
the rear slider plate will move up , as you raise the rear plate the rear of the glass will rise also , the front & rear slide also move front to back at the top to move the glass forward if needed

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline UKcuda

• Tell them I'm on my way
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009 - 01:00:45 PM »
the rear slider plate will move up

So that's what it's called
'72 'cuda

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009 - 09:45:06 PM »
Just trying out a new scanner and posting the pics from photobucket. Hopefully this works.

Scott

Offline 71cudajoe

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009 - 10:40:02 PM »
EXCELLENT! Thank you!

Offline 71cudajoe

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009 - 08:06:25 PM »
Thanks to those who contributed to this topic, I got the new window glass to fit perfectly!!! I really appreciate all the help!

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009 - 11:26:25 PM »
Lookin' good! :2thumbs:
Scott

Offline cv70chall

• 1970 Challenger
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2016 - 03:24:29 PM »
I'm getting ready to perform the same daunting task. I have a set of new side and quarter windows I want to install and I need to know the procedure for removing both the side and quarter glass so I can set up shop and compare the old to the new glass for proper roller/ parts installation.
The above helps a ton, but I want to be totally sure about removing the glass properly so I don't get stuck.
My passenger side window is exactly the same- as it seems to be out of the track and won't line up right- in fact, it rolls up and ends up nearly in the same position as the one above- which is covering the quarter glass being tilted outward.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!