Author Topic: I need to choose a color!!!  (Read 3187 times)

Offline Chlngrcrzy

I need to choose a color!!!
« on: November 05, 2009 - 11:32:54 PM »
Why is it so dang hard to choose a color. I have had a couple years to be thinking about it, and now it is finally time and i can't seem to come up with anything.  :pullinghair: I decide on something then i see a color on a car and i think that it would look great on mine. This has been going on long enough. It is time to see a Therapist :banghead: Guys show me something that might spark my interest and get me closer to a deciosion.  :feedback: Let me tell you what i have. 73 Challenger, and i want to put a vinyl top on it. i have looked at some blues, but they just don't seem to flow with a black top. I have considered oranges, and purple, but my kids remind me that purple is our neighboring high school colors and they would just die if i went with that :roflsmiley:

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
Re: I need to choose a color!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009 - 12:50:59 AM »
Don't feel bad, I'm in the same boat. My car is currently blue and I want to fix the body work and repaint it, but I cannot decide on a blue color that I want to paint my car. I have been able to narrow it down to about a half dozen shades of blue and now I just need to spray test panels to compare against my car so I can choose a color.

Paint color is a really hard decision to make on a car because it is one of the most pain in the butt to change if you decide after the car is on the road to change it. Oh and I have a black vinyl top, black side strobe stripes, black T/A hood and black rear T/A spoiler on my 72 Challenger.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline challengermaniac

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009 - 01:07:27 AM »
You must be thinking too hard, because it's a real simple answer:  b5 blue with a black vt!  Hands down the best of the best. 

Charlie
70 Challenger (Plum Crazy Purple)
74 Challenger (b5 blue, sold)
73 Challenger (metalic bronze, sold)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009 - 01:21:38 AM by challengermaniac »
Charlie
70 Challenger 340/4 Purple
70 Challenger T/A Red
Edmonds, WA

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009 - 01:26:49 AM »
That looks like my car with the R/T hood instead of the T/A hood. Oh and which B5 blue? EB5 (69-70), GB5 (71-74), KB5 (75-?), or the new B5 (2008-present).

Offline mcgheejt

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009 - 07:31:17 AM »
Color choice drove me crazy as well.  I also like the B5 Blue with the black vinyl top on the 72s.  I went with Plum Crazy for my 71 and my kids high school color was purple as well, except that my kids liked the idea.  Good Luck. 

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009 - 08:07:33 AM »
whats wrong with the original color?
Unless you really dont like it, that is the easiest choice to make cause its already been made for you. :bigsmile:
72 Roadrunner 400-4 Auto-3.23 Gear-Black Cruiser
71 Cuda 440-6 Tribute-Limelight-A833 Close Ratio-4 Sp-Pistol Grip-Dana 3.54 Powr Lok-Rally Dash-Shaker (Sold)
92 Dodge Stealth RT-Twin 15g Turbos-SAFC2 Tuned-Mystic Blue-5 Sp-AWD-Rear Wheel Steering-AutoX'r (Sold)
12 Dodge Charger SXT Plus Blacktop Package-3.6L-8 Sp-Leather-Nav (the wife's)

Multiple SRT's, Rams, Dakotas, Caravans and Neons

...the lines on the road just look like dots!....

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009 - 10:59:48 AM »
Who said Black & Blue doesn't look good!!  :bigsmile: Of course I am biased.

I still may go back to Ivy Metallic one day for originallity.....  :dunno:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline challengerx

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009 - 12:12:23 PM »
Same boat here, but not ready for paint just yet. I have been trying to decide a color for some time now. My first choice was a silver like Joe Rogans sick fish cuda, then a pewter color. I think I have decided on a copper color that Stacy David used on the show Trucks for his project copperhead. Check out the latest issue of mopar muscle and the prowler orange challenger, very similar to what is going on my 73. Good luck on the decision, once you pick it just purchase it and don't look back.

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009 - 12:39:51 PM »
whats wrong with the original color?
Unless you really dont like it, that is the easiest choice to make cause its already been made for you. :bigsmile:
I have stripped this car down ro bare metal everywhere. In the process i found 3 different colors. The original is the light baby blue (which i definently do not like), then a dark blue, and finally a shambles of a plum crazy.

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009 - 12:42:02 PM »
Same boat here, but not ready for paint just yet. I have been trying to decide a color for some time now. My first choice was a silver like Joe Rogans sick fish cuda, then a pewter color. I think I have decided on a copper color that Stacy David used on the show Trucks for his project copperhead. Check out the latest issue of mopar muscle and the prowler orange challenger, very similar to what is going on my 73. Good luck on the decision, once you pick it just purchase it and don't look back.
That is a sweet color. I really have considered something on that line. I really like the burnt orange look, but want a little metalic to it. Do you know if the original burnt orange colors had mettalic to it or pearl?

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009 - 01:23:41 PM »
Most "burnt orange" colors that I have seen have been either a metallic or pearl, almost never see one that is a solid color. Even the original hemi orange paint is a metallic paint.

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2009 - 01:44:09 PM »
what is original hemi orange ?  in the PPG list for 70, they dont mention metallic for hemi orange...  :clueless:
*** Bart ***

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2009 - 01:59:28 PM »
If you pull up the mix on hemi orange paint there is a very fine metallic (silver I believe) that is part of it. A friend of mine just bought a survivor hemi orange car that has its original paint and if you look really close you can see the metallic in the paint. Most paint shops can remove the metallic if you want, and apparently it cleans up  the color. My paint guy told me at his shop he has about half the customers tha buy hemi orange, buy it as it was originally formulated with the metallic and the other half want it with the metallic removed. He told me the metallic actually muddies the color, but that is factory.

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2009 - 02:10:11 PM »
Isn't Hemi Orange without the metallic simply Chevy's Hugger Orange?  My car was repainted a while back with no metallic, then when I had the engine bay shot several years ago with the correct Hemi Orange, the difference was like night and day.  I knew the orange from a while back was the wrong one, and have since had the whole car done in Hemi Orange, but I was amazed at the difference, and it looks much better with the metallic.  By the way, I think Hemi Ornage without the top looks great, but I'm partial.

Offline HemiOrange70

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2009 - 02:17:25 PM »
Your car would look sic black. Black augments the grill and blends the vinyl roof. What is the original color? I think black.