Author Topic: OSAC (NOX) valve rebuild kit?  (Read 2070 times)

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
OSAC (NOX) valve rebuild kit?
« on: November 07, 2009 - 12:16:07 AM »
Is there a rebuild kit for the OSAC valves available?  In the early 70's the valve was located on the firewall but was moved to the air cleaner in later years.  I found 2 new NOS valves on E_bay but they want $80 and $100 for them.  I had a buddy of mine do a Chrysler dealer search for the valve and he found a few of them.  It would cost me $75 + shipping for one of those.

I talked to Jules the Wiperman and he said that he would replate the main body in the correct zinc dicromate for me for free when I send my wiper motor in for a rebuild.  If there is no rebuild kit then it would be pointless to have the body replated.

There are six small screws holding the two halves together.  There looks to be a rubber membrain sandwiched in between them.  The outer portions of the membrain are cracked and I'm sure it would be destroyed when it is taken apart. 

So, is there any way to rebuild my origonal or am I going to have to spend some good money on an NOS one and hope the shelf ware isn't very bad.  Thanks

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
Re: OSAC (NOX) valve rebuild kit?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009 - 04:27:54 PM »
I would only replace that valve if you are interested in 100% stock restoration. It kills acceleration by holding back the vacuum advance.  :2cents:
My car is a '73 as well and I got rid of the OSAC years ago, but, I remember it being black plastic? :clueless:
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
Re: OSAC (NOX) valve rebuild kit?
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009 - 06:47:22 PM »
I'm doing a stock resto on the car.  It's just a 318 2-barrel and that's the way it's staying.

The main body of the valve is metal and is plated in Zinc Dichromate.  That's the same yellow finish as the brake booster, master cylinder cover , wiper moter and bracket that mounts the ECU to the firewall.  You can only see a small portion of the main body in the engine compartment.  Most of what you see is black plastic.  With dust and dirt on the valve, it's hard to tell that the top of it was once plated.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vtg-Nos-Mopar-1973-1974-Spark-Advance-Valve-3656585_W0QQitemZ280411397599QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item4149d25ddf