Author Topic: Going to change out my heater core  (Read 704 times)

Offline mojavered

• Someday!
Going to change out my heater core
« on: November 07, 2009 - 10:18:56 AM »
I at least need to pull it out and check it before I get the cooling system all set up.  So, I should have done it when my dash was out and did not.  Since I have never pulled one out before, is there anything I should look out for or are there any ideas to help make it easy?  It might already be a simple job, but it seems that any task that I undertake seems to be 4 times more difficult than it should.  Thanks for the help.
Jason

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
Re: Going to change out my heater core
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009 - 03:43:30 PM »
A/C or no A/C/

No A/C is pretty simple, unhook the cables and wires, unbolt 3 nuts on the engine bay side and some fasteners on the far right side top under the dash.  Those may or may not be there depending on the condition of the Heater box, mine were gone.

Tom
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline mojavered

• Someday!
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009 - 07:14:51 PM »
I meant to include that when I was looking.  It is an A/C car.
Jason

Offline mojavered

• Someday!
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009 - 04:29:50 PM »
Started to remove everything today.  There is a strap that is on the outside of the A/C box, I removed it and it looks like a mouse made a house out of it.  Do I really have to remove all the bolts around the A/C firewall box?  Or is there an easier way.  Some of those are just a bear to get to.  I know I should have done this when my dash was out, I guess now I have to pay the price.  Learn as you go sometimes really sucks.  Thanks!
Jason

Offline dodge freak 2

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009 - 07:56:27 PM »
Jobs like these it pays to have a nice 1/4 inch socket wench set.

Offline mojavered

• Someday!
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009 - 04:11:50 PM »
I went ahead and pulled the enitre heater/AC box out of the car.  Figured I would change out the heater core, vacuum lines, grease up the doors that are vacuum operated.  I will probably take the AC condensor (I believe that is what it is, see attached) down to a radiator shop??? and see if it is in good shape or if it can be re-cored??  I have not looked at prices yet, but I am sure that they are expensive.  Other than that, is there anything that you all would recommend that I check, replace, etc????  Thanks!
Jason