Author Topic: Carlsbad Sink Hole  (Read 938 times)

Offline troutstreamnm

Carlsbad Sink Hole
« on: November 08, 2009 - 09:17:51 AM »
Brett, could this impact you (other then US 285 going out)?  Hope you're not near the problem area.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,572890,00.html?test=latestnews
08 SRT-8 Challenger
71 GA4 Challenger
70 FK5 Charger 500

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
Re: Carlsbad Sink Hole
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009 - 11:51:04 AM »
Wow Earl, that would not be good.  :grinno:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline troutstreamnm

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009 - 09:08:56 PM »
US 285 goes thru the middle of town so this does not sound very reassuring for people in Carlsbad.  I'd can't image how you would deal with this risk.  Could go tomorrow or 1000 years from now.  :dunno:
08 SRT-8 Challenger
71 GA4 Challenger
70 FK5 Charger 500

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009 - 09:25:16 PM »
US 285 goes thru the middle of town so this does not sound very reassuring for people in Carlsbad.  I'd can't image how you would deal with this risk.  Could go tomorrow or 1000 years from now.  :dunno:

I live on a fault line myself. The Hayward fault.

The California Geological Survey (formerly known as the California Division of Mines and Geology) has published scenario earthquake studies for most major California faults. Their 1987 study of the Hayward fault assumed a magnitude 7.5 earthquake with an offset averaging 2.3 meters (5 feet) for a 100 km segment of the fault. This study estimated that between 1,500-4,500 people would be killed in this event, depending on the time of day. In 1996, EERI published a report on a scenario earthquake of magnitude 7 on the Hayward fault. This study estimated that the earthquake would rupture 50 km with an average slip of 2 meters.

Sounds like CA. is going to break off.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline troutstreamnm

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009 - 12:12:50 AM »
The Hayward has a long and famous history  :grinyes: The globe has been very active this year with major quakes in several areas, SE Asia in particular.  California is long overdue so I hope you all are prepared should something happen.  Be safe!
08 SRT-8 Challenger
71 GA4 Challenger
70 FK5 Charger 500

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009 - 12:28:43 AM »
Yeah, as a matter of fact I live less than half a mile from the well sites. We went to some bullcrap meeting a week ago and its not good.
A little history so people can understand the vast stupidity of our civic leaders. The city allowed drilling inside the city limits for oil and a well blew out a few years back. They had to evacuate a bunch of people. Less than a year later they allowed the same incompetent oil company to drill another well inside city limits. You cannot combat civic stupidity on a scale that large. This particular brine well site has been in operation for 40 years yet it was almost unknown to the people. I certainly did not know about it when I bought my house. So in the meeting the city says "lets not play the blame game, we need to find a solution" They talk about wanting to get some funding on the federal level. I think to myself, why should the rest of the state or country have to carry the burden of bailing out this city for the stupid choices that our city fathers have made? I could go on for hours, suffice it to say that my house is next to worthless and while their "projected" seismographic cavern does not reach my house, I have heard rumors that it passes my house by a large margin.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline mcgheejt

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009 - 11:15:41 AM »
If those of you living in CA are worried about another earthquake and don't have an earthquake resistant garage for your beloved hemi Challengers/Cudas, then I offer up my tornado resistant garage here in Kansas as a storage option.  I promise to take good care of your cars by taking them out on weekends and working through the gears.   :bigsmile:

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009 - 01:41:20 PM »
Will not help me. I need a hydrogen filled cell attached to my car so when the garage drops out from underneath it, it will survive.
*Brett*

Offline troutstreamnm

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009 - 04:46:24 PM »
Why chance an EF5 or Magnitude 8.0 when you can store them in earthquake, tornado and flood-free Albuquerque  :smilielol:

« Last Edit: November 09, 2009 - 06:49:59 PM by troutstreamnm »
08 SRT-8 Challenger
71 GA4 Challenger
70 FK5 Charger 500

Offline troutstreamnm

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009 - 04:49:48 PM »
Brett, sorry to hear that you may be involved with that sinkhole deal :o  Hope you really are outside the potential collaspe zone.  If the seismic survey was done by an independant consultant and not the oil company, it should be reasonably accurate.  Sounds like a major class-action lawsuit against the oil company and the City to me.  Let us know if there is anything we can do.
08 SRT-8 Challenger
71 GA4 Challenger
70 FK5 Charger 500

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009 - 06:29:08 PM »
The company I really do not fault. They went throught the State and Federal hoops and were legit. It is the city and any other government agency that ok'd this whole mess who are responsible. I am sure they guy knew what was happening but hey, he was making money. It was not an oil company btw, I was using the oil company debacle as an example of the stupid decisions our city makes.
*Brett*