Author Topic: Pre-bent brake lines?  (Read 2354 times)

Offline RDF

• The pain that greets me is the stick that beats me
Pre-bent brake lines?
« on: November 10, 2009 - 08:34:16 AM »
Hey all,

Do they sell pre-bent brake lines for Cuda's?  I am looking to pick some up for my 73.   :dunno:
Bob

1973 'Cuda

If we never drown we'll never know how well it tastes....So tell me how it tastes and I'll know just how well you drowned.

My build:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=45749.0

Offline 30below

Re: Pre-bent brake lines?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009 - 08:52:50 AM »
Bought mine from Inline Tube.You can also try Classic Tube or Finelines.There might be others

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009 - 09:22:13 AM »
Yep...all of those companies that were listed above make pre-bent lines.  Just this past August, I bought all new brake and fuel lines from FineLines.  I bought tham at the Mopar Nats and they shipped them to me for free.

One thing to be aware of is that if you buy the lines, they are too big to be easily shipped.  What they do is put a large diameter bend in certain places along the length of the lines.  That way they can fit inside a box to be shipped.  The bends are gradual enough that they can easily be straightened out once they arrive at your door.

Also, if you are looking for parking brake cables...both FineLines and Inline Tube sell those as well. 

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009 - 09:43:58 AM »
Bought mine from Inline Tube.You can also try Classic Tube or Finelines.There might be others

Inline here as well, I got thier stainless lines and they fit well.
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline RDF

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009 - 09:50:15 AM »
Thanks guys for the links...

Inline here as well, I got thier stainless lines and they fit well.

What's up Mike?  How are things going for you out in AZ?  I sold my motor, trans, & exhaust about a month ago and my new motor is 90%....just got a call today and he's ordering the pan and pickup and manifold and then he'll run it on his stand to test it out......getting excited.... :naughty:

Hope all is going well with you....I haven't seen your parents in ages....I've been so busy with everything else that I haven't had any time to get to a car show....please tell them I said hi and we WILL get together soon.
Bob

1973 'Cuda

If we never drown we'll never know how well it tastes....So tell me how it tastes and I'll know just how well you drowned.

My build:

Offline Kapteenikosmos

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009 - 10:21:39 AM »
I bought mine from classic tube (stainless). The fit for front tubes was very bad. The bends that are used to get it over front frame rail were 1-2 inch off on both sides and getting them right was real pain because stainless work hardens very easily. The long one from propvalve to the rear was ok and went in with minor adjusting bends.

1967 six banger Mustang
1973 Challenger (under restoration)
1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (daily driver)

Offline RDF

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009 - 10:25:37 AM »
I bought mine from classic tube (stainless). The fit for front tubes was very bad. The bends that are used to get it over front frame rail were 1-2 inch off on both sides and getting them right was real pain because stainless work hardens very easily. The long one from propvalve to the rear was ok and went in with minor adjusting bends.

ok, so the new question is OEM or stainless then...... :clueless:
Bob

1973 'Cuda

My build:

Offline Kapteenikosmos

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009 - 11:27:48 AM »
If I could choose again, I would go with the oem type material. The stainless is much harder and didn't sickfish member have a problems with leakage? Atleast in water hydraulics (also stainless tubes), it is very hard to get the pipe connectors to seat well enough so that the connection won't leak.

Also, if the pre-bends are slightly off, the oem material is much easier to correct. If the car is kept good and not driven in snow & salt I would guess that the lines will last longer than the owner. So now when I have installed mine, I think that the stainless lines are way overkill.

1967 six banger Mustang
1973 Challenger (under restoration)
1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (daily driver)

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009 - 09:26:48 PM »
I generally use Oem tubing not stainless

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009 - 09:17:09 AM »
I was told that OEM lines will look good for at least 3 years.  Then they start showing their age.  With the way my origonal lines looked...I went with stainless.  It all depends on how much you are going to drive the car and in what weather conditions.  I may have a small problem of getting a fitting to seal but it is worth it to me in the end.  Now if I was going to use regular brake fluid, I may be a little worried but I plan on using synthetic.(won't hurt the paint)