Author Topic: Has anyone used this Product?  (Read 851 times)

Offline hooD

• detroit iron
  • Resident
  • Motor City Made Muscle
Has anyone used this Product?
« on: November 11, 2009 - 03:03:02 AM »
 :feedback:

I'm talking about Bar's Leak Rear Main Seal Repair.  My 1996 Cougar 4.6L has developed a small oil leak that is coming from either the rear main or the oil pan itself.  It's kind of hard to tell for sure.  I have 178,000 miles on this engine.  I have done oil changes every 3,000 miles on it for the last 13 years.  It has been very well maintained. 

Would this product work?  I know the only real true fix is a new oil pan gasket or rear main seal, but money is tight and repairs are expensive, but at the same time I don't want to mess up the internals of the engine if this product is poo.
-Larry
member since AUG 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvrWiLgDm7Y

southeastern michigan usa

1973 'CUDA 340

original owner
37,117 miles

:grinyes: *click my E-Body* :grinyes:

Offline cowboy

• Denmark
    • CowboyCars.dk
Re: Has anyone used this Product?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009 - 03:03:46 AM »
-
 :popcorn:
MoPar's for Cruizin, Racing & Pro-touring: www.CowboyCars.dk

1930 Plymouth Hot Rod wannabe - 1957 DeSoto Fireflite Sportsman - 1967 RaceCuda  -  1968 Barracuda  -  1971 Challenger R/T Conv.

Offline 73EStroker

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009 - 12:38:23 PM »
These products are for 2nd hand car dealers. Don't know Fords but surely you can rent a hoist bay and take a look underneath. If the pan is unobstructed with chassis parts then drop the pan and change the seal and gasket. Mind you some engines have a seal that goes around the crank with no joints so that would mean a tranny removal to change. Go ask the local dealer first how much/how much shop time. Lotsa $$$$ means big job.
Oil is cheap and so are drip pans. If it is not losing much then forget it.
Barry (Salmon Arm)

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009 - 01:21:24 PM »
Can you get to the pan and see if you can snug up the bolts any ?  And have the pcv valve cleaned and checked. Internal sludge could be clogging it some and causeing some back pressure.  I have retightened an oil pan bolt on different engines many times and stopped leaks before.  Front wheel drive means rear main seal will not be easy to replace

Offline quagmire

• Traction Impaired......
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009 - 05:34:43 PM »
I would not use that product unless you are dumping that car off.  Any miracle in a bottle used to repair a seal not under pressure relies on swelling it.  IF it works, it will be short lived and fail even worse later on.  That is a RWD car, the pan isn't too bad to do.  It is a lot like many other RWD vehicles.  The very, very short version requires unbolting the motor mounts and everything that could bind/break and lifting the engine to completely remove the pan.  You may be able to snake it in and around the pickup without doing all of that however.  It would be tight, make sure all oil is removed with brake clean or it wont seal.  The rear main is one piece and requires transmission removal, which is also a pretty average job on that car. 

Offline dodge freak 2

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009 - 08:02:17 PM »
I used any type of stop leak on my 1992 olds 3.3 motor. Works ok, made the leak better. On each oil change I use half a bottle of whatever stop leak looks good at the time.

But on my Mopar ride its useless. I got change that oil pan someday. Just might do it before winter sets in.