What prompted you to join the military?

Author Topic: What prompted you to join the military?  (Read 2109 times)

Offline priderocks

What prompted you to join the military?
« on: November 11, 2009 - 09:53:55 PM »
People join the service for a lot of reasons. Why did you join, and how old were you?

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
Re: What prompted you to join the military?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009 - 09:56:25 PM »
I was 22 when I joined and wanted to serve our country and also I wanted more education and I did that when I was in England also with the airforce. :bigsmile:  Also my dad was in the Army Airforce also and I wanted to follow him also he was 100% service connected and that is how I got to go to College and both my sisters got to go as well and wanted to pay back for that right also.   :bigsmile:
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009 - 10:17:24 PM by 426HEMI »
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009 - 11:30:30 PM »
...the DRAFT :roflsmiley:

...1971, 19 years old, good job, engaged, new car...then,  my draft lottery number was drawn, it was 10...knew I was going into some branch of service soon, so I joined the USAF...worked in payroll, stationed in Texas 3 times and Taiwan for 18 months...got out early, 44 months later, to attend college

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009 - 12:07:16 AM »
My parents convinced me to go see a recruiter when I was 19. Of course then I got wild stories about Germany from the recruiters. Sounded good then so I signed up.

Well bad luck came my way when I got word I was going to the "Rock"...Baumholder, Germany. It's an old Nazi military ex Panzer outpost way up in the mountains. Always cold and cloudy there. The mearest good civilization was either Bad Krueznach or K Town. Either one was at least 20-30 miles away.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/images/Baumholder-mapbhrht1.jpg

I was so glad to get back to the states in 81'. From there I was shipped to Ft. Campbell, KY...Clarksville TN is actually what it is. Got out in 83'.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009 - 12:17:51 AM by Topcat »
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline mcgheejt

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009 - 04:36:20 AM »
I have been playing army since I was old enough to walk.  When I was 17 I joined the Army a day before a new law was passed changing retirement benefits from 50% to 40%.  They have since changed it back to 50% so I guess joining early didn't really get me much in the long run.  Here I am 23 years later and I still put on the uniform every day.  I don't know what else I will do when I have to take the uniform off in a few more years.  Maybe I will request to become a moderator for CC.com  :)

Offline lemming303

• San Antonio, TX
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009 - 11:07:15 AM »
I joined the Marine Corps before I graduated high school. I was on the delayed entry program for 8 months before I went to boot camp. I had to do an extra semester of High school because I went to three different high schools in both Texas and Colorado and alot of the credits didn't transfer, or they were the same courses but with different names. Anyway, I originally wanted to be an Arabic linguist so I could be attached to a recon company or Force Recon. That was before I went in and knew more about all that. They didn't have any slots for linguist school until after my delayed entry would have expired because you can only stay on delayed entry for 1 year. The only thing I wanted to do in the military was fight in some kind of infantry based MOS, so I decided to go with regular infantry. The recruiters loved me because I walked in to the recruiter office and said "Sign me up!" No having to try to convince me there. I wanted to be a Marine Infantry and that was that. I only spent four years as I had other plans for life. Marine life can also be pretty rough at times, to say the least.....
Kevin

73 Challenger Rallye - first project

Offline sprecks

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009 - 01:26:01 PM »
I joined before I graduated from high school too. I joined in May and went to Navy boot camp in September. Main reason was to get the GI bill so I could afford to go to college. I spent 6 years in Uncle Sams canoe club and have been out for 29 years. Still haven't made it to college  :rofl:
All kidding aside, the Navy did give me a good education and I wouldn't have the job I have now without the education they gave me.
you can call me Jay
I've seen sicker dogs get well.

1971 Challenger Vert - 472 Hemi EFI
1969 Road Runner 440/Auto
2017 Ram Laramie 1500 - Hemi

Offline sixpack340

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009 - 06:45:07 PM »
i enlisted a little while ago. im 24 soon to be 25 and just decided, that while i was young, i wanted to chase my long time goal of becoming a marine. i enlisted as an 0331 machine gunner and im leaving january for boot. i cant wait, all i joined for was to fight. no reason other than that. i want to do my part in this war while im young. i'll go back to being an iron worker when im done.
i plan to leave this world the same way i came into it...by accident.

Offline lemming303

• San Antonio, TX
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009 - 09:36:53 PM »
Sixpak, you sound like I did when I joined. I went to boot in Jan 2001 so there wasn't a major conflict yet. I'm glad I got to serve in Iraq. Even though it sucked more than anything, I learned a ton about myself and what I wanted in life.
Kevin

Offline jims70cuda

• My car photos
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009 - 07:24:24 AM »
I was instructed to join ROTC in high school, by my sister no less. She thought I would do well in it...and she was right. Earned a full-tuition scholarship for college through AF ROTC. Somehow managed to get my BS in Math and entered active duty as a Butter Bar at 22. I wanted to be a part of something bigger and better...and still enjoying it. Currently at Ramstein Germany, previous base was Barksdale Louisiana, been deployed to Afghanistan and now I might be going to Georgia (the country).
cuda-challenger.com's resident ricer
1970 'Cuda 340 727 w/ 3.91 "Project"
Lemon Twist, black vinyl top, Hockey Stick, Go-Wing, Louvers
2004 SRT 4 "Scarlet"
Flame red, AAR 'Cuda Stripes, 1/4 mile - 13.4 @ 109 on street tires

Offline FY1443433

• 1971 Superbee, 1970 Challenger R/T
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009 - 08:40:54 PM »
It was 1983 and jobs were pretty hard to come by and I was fresh out of college (Votech School) and everywhere I applied at told me that I needed experience, so I joined the Navy.  I was twenty one at the time and now I am retired and enjoying the fruits of my labors.  It's the best thing I ever did for myself.  I saw the world and met a lot of nice people.

FY1

Offline acudanut

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009 - 10:41:37 PM »
 If you have to ask, you would not understand. US vets know what I mean.  Marines..26th year now.   :banghead:

Offline priderocks

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2009 - 12:27:54 AM »
Try me. What would I not understand?

Offline ohio cuda

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2009 - 05:09:30 AM »
I served 4 years in the Navy flying around the world in P-3 Orion submarine chaser and reconnaissance aircraft starting in 1973. I attended college, ran out of money and needed the G.I. Bill to finish which I did. Our home base was Moffett Field in Mountain View California.
From the Aleutian Island of Adak Alaska, with a volunteer skeleton crew, we would penetrate the Russia Air Defense. This was an exciting cat and mouse game played by both sides unless you got caught. We also preformed Sea Air Rescues and saved one soul from certain demise in the Aleutian Island Chain
An engine fire on our plane required a 45 day stay in Iran until our government could decide what to do with us since we really weren’t there. We were pretty lucky the wing didn’t burn off; a one wing airplane doesn’t fly well or long. During our stay in the world’s largest sand box we enjoyed camel rides, ate pistachios and learned why the Shah of Iran would soon be deposed. That guy was brutal!
The fall of 1974 took us to the Philippines, Australia, Diego Garcia, U-Tapao Thailand. We enjoyed rice beer and monkey barbeque on a stick from street vendors in the Philippines. The barbeque is an acquired taste.
Once you travel west of Guam you see a lot of oriental people. We also took part in the evacuation of Cambodia and Saigon in 1975. They gave me a nice medal for all my efforts. Perhaps a psychological examine was more in order. I lost a good friend Robby Ross in U-Tapao and took him home to Vass North Carolina to rest. My time in service was bittersweet.
I still have buddies from then and we talk every now and then. It’s the tightest bond you can experience. There’s nothing like it our here in the civilian world.
 :wavingflag:

Offline lemming303

• San Antonio, TX
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2009 - 04:19:04 PM »
That's a really interesting story Ohio.
Kevin