Author Topic: Well, here is the finished result!  (Read 11741 times)

Offline tx9aarcuda

Re: Well, here is the finished result!
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2009 - 06:17:58 PM »
Beautiful car :drool:  I think it's great your going to drive the car :2thumbs:
Greg
68 Coronet R/T Convertible 4 spd
70 AAR Auto
97 Ram 1500

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2009 - 11:22:58 PM »
I see only one thing more you need to do Brian, and that is to replace the White top with the correct Black color top for the car to make it 100% correct like you and i talked about at the kick off party before Carlisle, and bring it to its true value as a super rare Tri-Color E-body that it is :2thumbs: Everything else is just simply amazing to say the least. :woo:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2009 - 12:09:35 AM »
  Please chime in if anyone sees anything that is incorrect on the car.

Hope everyone enjoys the detailed pics of it.  (please be patient with me, I have about 50 pics to resize and post.)

Awesome job of detailing. You can see a lot of hours spent on the car. Congrats.

Here are a couple of things I did notice seeing as you asked; The battery cable to the starter looks like the strap in installed upside down onto the shock stud, The trans mount and rear axle bumpers were only yellow on Hemi cars, looks like you may have philips head screws on the wheel alignment access plates( I have only ever seen self tapping hex headed screws here), Wiper motor does not look detailed enough to match the rest of your great work, the part number on the coil should be green stencil not white, the bracket doesn't look cad plated either, trans pan should be a natural finish not painted. looks like there are grommets on the T-Bar crossmember where the fuel and brake lines go through? Just a few things seeing as you were asking, I'm no expert either but you do have a very nice Challenger there, Cudos to doing it the way you did instead of cloning it into an R/T.
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Offline resq302

« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2009 - 06:57:16 AM »
I see only one thing more you need to do Brian, and that is to replace the White top with the correct Black color top for the car to make it 100% correct like you and i talked about at the kick off party before Carlisle, and bring it to its true value as a super rare Tri-Color E-body that it is :2thumbs: Everything else is just simply amazing to say the least. :woo:

Ken, if and when it becomes truely my car and not my moms, it will go back to having a black roof.  Mom wanted to keep it a white roof (which was on there when we got it but needed a new one) just because it does not have a/c and the roof would be too hot in the sun.  To each their own.

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2009 - 07:04:21 AM »
Ken, if and when it becomes truely my car and not my moms, it will go back to having a black roof.  Mom wanted to keep it a white roof (which was on there when we got it but needed a new one) just because it does not have a/c and the roof would be too hot in the sun.  To each their own.
I understand Brian :grinyes: just these Tri-Color cars are real rare and between yours and another convertible 'Cuda in the same colors (Black top) i only have seen 2 other Tri-color hardtops also. What would you pefer ? Black roof or White roof ?

Offline resq302

« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2009 - 07:10:34 AM »
Awesome job of detailing. You can see a lot of hours spent on the car. Congrats.

Here are a couple of things I did notice seeing as you asked; The battery cable to the starter looks like the strap in installed upside down onto the shock stud, The trans mount and rear axle bumpers were only yellow on Hemi cars, looks like you may have philips head screws on the wheel alignment access plates( I have only ever seen self tapping hex headed screws here), Wiper motor does not look detailed enough to match the rest of your great work, the part number on the coil should be green stencil not white, the bracket doesn't look cad plated either, trans pan should be a natural finish not painted. looks like there are grommets on the T-Bar crossmember where the fuel and brake lines go through? Just a few things seeing as you were asking, I'm no expert either but you do have a very nice Challenger there, Cudos to doing it the way you did instead of cloning it into an R/T.

The trans mount was replaced with an NOS one that I found on ebay.  The rear axle bumps had yellow on them when I removed them cleaned the undercoating off of them so I just put back what I found.  The pos. battery cable strap could be on upside down.  That damn thing keeps popping off of the shock stud anyway.  The philips head screws on the access plates for the allignment were there when we got the car.  Being that this is a VERY early production car (sched prod date, Sunday, Sept. 28, 1969) it is possible that those are what they had laying around.  I don't know for sure.  Maybe someone else who has a early built car can chime in.  The spark coil lettering color is being corrected as we speak.  I know what you mean, the correct color should be a mint green like the one on my 69 charger.  Maybe if mom is nice, I will let her steal mine for a year for a show.  The bracket for the coil is natural plating on it, I just put some oil on it to prevent it from tranishing/rusting.  As for the barrel of the wiper motor, yes, that is something else that needs to be "polished up" if you will.  At least right now it is the correct color versus the white body color paint that someone had painted it at one point.  The trans pan will be refinished in the correct zinc over the winter when we drop the pan to change out the trans fluid.  Something we already planned on doing.  As for the grommets on the brake and fuel lines were it goes through the crossmember, yes those seem to be original to the car as those are the original steel brake and fuel lines.  Also, upon closer inspection of the rubber grommet, they seem to be original as the rubber is starting to dry rot in places which also leads me to believe that they are original.  Again, this is something else that I have never seen on another car, just like the flat washer on the end of the trunk lid torsion bar that is tack welded onto the bar.  It is hard to say for certain what Chrysler did back in the day but if I have enough evidence that leads me to believe it was done that way, then that is the way I return it to.

Thank you for chiming in and pointing out those items.  Like I had said in a lot of my previous posts, I am always trying to better our cars as much as we can.  Granted, I know you are never truely done working on them (especially since we drive them and have to constantly clean and touch up stuff) but at least I am to a point where I can really enjoy them by driving them instead of constantly turning wrenches on them now.)

Offline resq302

« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2009 - 07:19:04 AM »
I understand Brian :grinyes: just these Tri-Color cars are real rare and between yours and another convertible 'Cuda in the same colors (Black top) i only have seen 2 other Tri-color hardtops also. What would you pefer ? Black roof or White roof ?

Me, hell, I'd prefer the black roof just because it would break up all that white! :2thumbs:  Well that and knowing how much a pain in the A$$ it is to keep a white roof clean (should have learned that from my 69 charger) although the Meguiars #39 heavy duty vinyl cleaner followed up by the #40 Vinyl cleaner and conditioner, keeps the roof in a nice manageable condition.

As for the numbers of how many tri color cars were made, I really wish I knew.  I have found out though that there were a total of 99 converts made in Alpine white paint in 1970 and a total of 137 converts made with the red interior also.  Now I know they made less black convert top cars than white tops, numbers are 1203 vs. 1338.  If I could find a way to only see how many 1970 challenger convertibles in 1970 came with a black top, alpine white paint, and a red interior I would be extatic!  I am guessing it would be probably like a 1 of 10 car or something like that just being that it is already a low number car, 1 of 99 alpine white cars.

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2009 - 07:26:54 AM »
Me, hell, I'd prefer the black roof just because it would break up all that white! :2thumbs:  Well that and knowing how much a pain in the A$$ it is to keep a white roof clean (should have learned that from my 69 charger) although the Meguiars #39 heavy duty vinyl cleaner followed up by the #40 Vinyl cleaner and conditioner, keeps the roof in a nice manageable condition.

As for the numbers of how many tri color cars were made, I really wish I knew.  I have found out though that there were a total of 99 converts made in Alpine white paint in 1970 and a total of 137 converts made with the red interior also.  Now I know they made less black convert top cars than white tops, numbers are 1203 vs. 1338.  If I could find a way to only see how many 1970 challenger convertibles in 1970 came with a black top, alpine white paint, and a red interior I would be extatic!  I am guessing it would be probably like a 1 of 10 car or something like that just being that it is already a low number car, 1 of 99 alpine white cars.
I hear what your saying Brian....
That car is a keeper. I bet not too many people even knew about Tri-colored E-body's and how rare they are, it is common place to see a triple Black car, but not so a Tri-color car.
your guess at around 1 of 10 would be a number i would have to agree on if not less, and the same goes for Hartops in the same color configuration also.
Weather it be a Challenger or a 'Cuda in either a ragtop or a hardtop, the tri-color cars are very rare indeed, again yours is a beautiful example of an extremely rare color combo car  :drool: thankyou for sharing it and it was a treat to have seen your car in the flesh while i was at Carlisle :wave: thankyou :2thumbs:

Offline resq302

« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2009 - 07:31:41 AM »
Ken, thats what this hobby is all about.  Getting out and meeting new friends and people and sharing our experiences, both ups and downs with our cars.  Now I just need to convince my wife to let me go back to Carlisle more frequently than what I have been.  It used to be once every 3 years.  Im already starting to butter her up into letting me go again this coming year.  Although with trying for a second child, might be kinda hard if she is pregnant and taking care of our daughter who will be 3 next month by herself. 

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2009 - 07:36:56 AM »
Brian, i found you to be a very nice guy and i am sure you could sweet talk the little woman into every year for Carlisle, as long as you took your Daughter with you and not leave her behind for your wife to deal with, i am sure you would have plenty of help looking after your little one with her Grand Parents being there to help with Baby Sitting duties and to look after your Daughter :poopoke: I am sure your Ma and Pa do not Baby you still :clueless: do they :dunno: :smilielol: just kidding, look forward to catching up next year and seeing both your cars and hope that the Challenger makes it into the Chrysler show building where your Charger was :2thumbs:

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2009 - 10:55:12 AM »
The car really looks fantastic.  The one thing that popped out at me right away though is the screws holding the plastic shields on the frame.  1970 used rivets to hold those on...I believe all other years used those screws.

It looks like you used real cosmoline spray to coat the LCA's.  It looks really good.  Just a side note to anyone that wants to duplicate the cosmoline look on their LCA's.  The cosmoline does NOT dry.  It stays tacky.  A good alternative is to use Krylon battery protectant spray.  I believe it is part #1308 or something like that.  It is very close to the color of the cosmoline but it dries like regular paint.  You can then clearcoat it for even more protection.   
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009 - 11:06:33 AM by burdar »

Offline js27

• MOPAR OR NO CAR
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2009 - 12:26:59 PM »
WOW-Very Nice Job.
JS27
1967 GTX
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T Conv.

Offline JayBee

• Resident
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2009 - 06:59:57 PM »
Absolutely gorgeous. Actually, even that isn't sufficient to describe your work of art.

:drool:  :cheers:  :clapping:  :2thumbs:
John

1970 Barracuda convertible
2014 Toyota Avalon

Offline resq302

« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2009 - 07:45:36 PM »
The car really looks fantastic.  The one thing that popped out at me right away though is the screws holding the plastic shields on the frame.  1970 used rivets to hold those on...I believe all other years used those screws.

It looks like you used real cosmoline spray to coat the LCA's.  It looks really good.  Just a side note to anyone that wants to duplicate the cosmoline look on their LCA's.  The cosmoline does NOT dry.  It stays tacky.  A good alternative is to use Krylon battery protectant spray.  I believe it is part #1308 or something like that.  It is very close to the color of the cosmoline but it dries like regular paint.  You can then clearcoat it for even more protection.   

Thanks for the pointers.  We did not use REAL cosmoline spray but Eastwoods Heavy Duty Anti-rust coating which looks and feels exactly like Cosmoline.  Cosmoline is just a trade name like WD-40 or Armor All.  After the anti-rust coating was fairly dry, I shot some matte clear over it to prevent any dirt or road grime from sticking to it.  Yes, it still gets damaged should you jack it up on the lower control arm or should something fly up into it, it will leave an indentation in the waxy coating but at least it looks correct.  Original lower control arms were hung by where the ball joint connected and then dipped into the Cosmoline multiple times, this is why they had runs.  Same went for the torsion bars and other parts on the car. 

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2009 - 06:52:35 AM »
there was another member here with a white/ red 70 vert...  can`t remember the color of the top though.
I think the guy was somewhere in the middle-east and started restoration after an accident.  Cant remember the name either...  :eek7:  :clueless:
*** Bart ***