Author Topic: Mastercylinder bleeding  (Read 2795 times)

Offline Belgium Cuda

• Living in Belgium but beeing Swedish
Mastercylinder bleeding
« on: November 17, 2009 - 04:33:18 PM »
Does both circuits/reservoars has to be bleeded at the same time when bleeding the m-c? Are they
connected together? :clueless:

Per
1970 Challenger Convertible - to become a Hemi tribute
1968 Charger R/T 500 cui stroker

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
Re: Mastercylinder bleeding
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009 - 04:38:13 PM »
You can bleed the front or back as separate areas. Doing so might push your Prop-valve over center and make the light come on. When it does, you have to allow a little pressure to escape the other side to turn it off.  Why not bleed all 4 wheels and change out to clean-clear fluid now anyway? Your steel brake lines will live longer without brake fluid with moisture in it.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline Changin Gears

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009 - 04:56:17 PM »
They are not connected together, it is a safety backup system.  If one of your brake lines fail or another fluid loss problem on the rear the front brakes will still function.  This is when the brake warning light will turn on.

The goal never changes - Stop the 60' timer with your back tires

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009 - 10:47:26 PM »
it is easier to bleed both at the same time using 2 return hoses into the reservoir

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline hooD

• detroit iron
  • Resident
  • Motor City Made Muscle
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009 - 01:40:49 AM »
it is easier to bleed both at the same time using 2 return hoses into the reservoir

:iagree:  I replaced both my M/C and booster.  It was easy to bench bleed the M/C with the return hoses that came with it.
-Larry
member since AUG 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvrWiLgDm7Y

southeastern michigan usa

1973 'CUDA 340

original owner
37,117 miles

:grinyes: *click my E-Body* :grinyes:

Offline Belgium Cuda

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009 - 04:02:43 AM »
Thanks guys :cheers: I'm fighting with this for a while now. It's on my chargerproject, all new things from booster to wheelcylinders and calipers. Have now tried to push in oil from right rearbleeder to fill up the system
because I can't get any pressure on the pedal. Will do m-c ones moore and try again normal bleedingprocedures.

Per

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009 - 09:57:44 AM »
Thanks guys :cheers: I'm fighting with this for a while now. It's on my chargerproject, all new things from booster to wheelcylinders and calipers. Have now tried to push in oil from right rearbleeder to fill up the system
because I can't get any pressure on the pedal. Will do m-c ones moore and try again normal bleedingprocedures.

Per

Try another master cylinder. Just having the bleeders open should free flow the fluid all the way down. Even the newer prop valve should allow fluid to flow when it is less than 5 lbs of pressure.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009 - 10:31:59 AM »
I've seen a few new master cylinders like "Hood" posted.  The factory ones(at least for Hood's 73) had the larger "rounded" reservoar in the front NOT in the rear.  Aren't you going to want the larger one for the front brakes?  You need that extra fluid for when the pads wear and the piston sticks farther out of the caliper.

Offline Belgium Cuda

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009 - 01:14:39 PM »
I have the same with the large at the rear but it is for the front brakes. :clueless:

Per

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009 - 01:46:49 PM »
OK...I was partially wrong.  I just looked at an origonal picture of hooDs engine compartment that was taken in 73.  It shows the same master that he just showed a picture of.  I looked at an old pic of my car and the larger  reservoar IS in the rear on that one as well. 

What differs is where the rounded section is.  hooDs car has the rounded section at the back by the mounting flange.  My origonal one has the rounded section on the front side.  Why there are two different master designs I don't know.  Both cars were ordered a month apart and you couldn't get drum brakes on the front in 73 I didn't think.

Maybe its a Cuda, Challenger thing.  Bullitts Challenger looks to have the same master as mine. :clueless:
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009 - 01:53:29 PM by burdar »

Offline Belgium Cuda

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009 - 12:16:48 PM »
Can't build up any pressure on my pedal, hits the floor every time no matter what I do. Forced oil from
right rear to check for leaks and that the oil is passing and it's OK. Adjusted the rod in the booster with no
change, bleeded mastercylinder several times. System has oil but I can't bleed it :pullinghair:
Someone sad gravitybleeding but the mastercylinder only opens the ports when pedal is pressed.
Need desperate help. :1zhelp:

Per

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2009 - 02:07:43 PM »
Did you try another master cylinder yet?
Rob

Offline Belgium Cuda

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2009 - 03:53:04 PM »
Will do tomorrow. There was a distributinblock together with the brakekit but I used the stocklooking type,
can that have a influence?

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2009 - 05:20:33 PM »
Is everything hooked up as-stock when looking at other mopars compared to yours? What "brakekit" did you get that came with a different block? Everything should work as long as the big part flows to the front disc brakes and the small part to the rear. Opening the bleeders then pushing the pedal just once, should shoot fluid out as fast as you can pump the pedal.  That isn't the case?
Rob

Offline Belgium Cuda

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2009 - 08:28:00 AM »
Swapped to another mastercylinder (same type) which I first had benchbleeded but the result is the same.
No oil coming out of rear bleeders when pressing pedal down, impossible to build up pressure with bleeders
closed. Took the first mc and benchbleeded it, this time when you press the cylinder it squirts oil/air thru
the holes in the reservoar, or out of the holes. That didn't happen before with this one and not with the other one either. The oil passing the bleederhose is airfree. Is that normal?

Per