Author Topic: Adjustable A-Arms  (Read 1919 times)

Offline 73EStroker

Adjustable A-Arms
« on: November 18, 2009 - 02:24:41 PM »
I have hardly had time to evaluate my Chally and now I want to upgrade. So the next addition is adjustable A-Arms. The kind I am interested in is those ones that have the external bolt adjustment at the pivot that locks where one does not have to remove the A-Arm to make each adjustment. Does anyone know where these can be purchased from?
Or am I best to get the standard ones with the HEIM rod end, set the range for adjustment and use the cam bolts from there. The ones I mention first seem like the easiest when one is trying to set the suspension up requiring multiple adjustments and trial runs.
Barry (Salmon Arm)

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Adjustable A-Arms
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009 - 01:41:29 AM »
Try Mancinis or Hotchkiss

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline inviolet

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009 - 11:52:55 AM »
Magun force makes the arms you are asking for. I just bought a set of the double adjustable with the hem joints.

http://www.magnumforceracing.com/magnumforce_tubular_control_arms.htm

These should do the job.

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009 - 09:52:11 PM »
  Arms look great, are you going to upgrade the brakes as well now that you spent that money? 
Dave

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009 - 10:45:03 PM »
The Magnum Force arms do look good, but how often will you actually adjust?

I had a long discussion with both Magnum Force and Firm Feel on this topic.  The Heim joints will be much harsher, but more precise.  As for the adjustability, if you're not road racing and constantly making adjustments for track/surface conditions, you're wasting your money.
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline autoxcuda

• Spring Fling
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009 - 02:20:35 AM »
The Magnum Force arms do look good, but how often will you actually adjust?

I had a long discussion with both Magnum Force and Firm Feel on this topic.  The Heim joints will be much harsher, but more precise.  As for the adjustability, if you're not road racing and constantly making adjustments for track/surface conditions, you're wasting your money.

:iagree: The ones with straigh poly bushings should be fine for most. IF you really feel you have to have tubular A-arms. You can get the 4+ degrees positive caster from Moog 7103 offset bushings.

And IMHO, you better have a bunch of other upgrades before you actually feel anything (or have measurable improvement) out of a tubular upper arm. Like, if you are running 60 series BFT Radial T/A's... tubular A-arms are a waste. Some for a car with stock sway bars and Torsion bars.

The Hotchkis A-arm are geometry corrected. They reduce the bump steer and inprove front end geometry.

Spring Fling XXX
April 22 & 23 2016

at Woodley Park Van Nuys, CA.
Special 30th Anniversary Event!
600+ Mopars, 300+ swappers,  50+ manf. midways.
Thrus: Mopar Track Day at Willow Springs Raceway
Fri: Caravan & Cruise
Sat: Mopar Cruise-In

Offline GreenFish

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009 - 07:23:48 AM »
I will probably end up getting the Hotchkis A arms. They are more money but correct geometry.  Check out the Jay Leno Hotchkis Challenger video. I was actually pretty set on an AlterKtion front end till I saw this.  You can build a front end kit using a combination of Hotchkis and Firm Feel parts for about $2K less and that includes the rear springs and sway bar.

Oh and the prices on the Hotchkis web site are high. Jegs or Summit sells all the stuff as well for cheaper. FYI
70 cuda, 440, KB pistons, 10.5:1 compression, edlebrock heads,RacerBrown cam, 5-Speed Tremec, Megasquirt EFI

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009 - 08:59:51 AM »
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline inviolet

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009 - 03:48:10 PM »
Yea there's are a lot of choices out there. I currently run the FirmFeel arms which I think are constructed very well however the alignment shop I used could not give my car a good alignment for the ride height I wanted. So with that said there was a 50% chance that the offset Moog bushing would have solved my problem but I upped to go with the Magnum Force double adjustable arms with the heim joints.  Anyone here ever have any issues running heim joints? I'm contemplating after using them for a while if they will being to stress crack the inner fenders. The pot holes are killer in my neck of the woods.

Here is a picture of the firm feel arms on the car:
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009 - 03:53:44 PM by inviolet »

Offline GreenFish

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009 - 08:58:00 AM »
inviolet,

nice looking set up you have there. how tight is it? does the car wander at all?
70 cuda, 440, KB pistons, 10.5:1 compression, edlebrock heads,RacerBrown cam, 5-Speed Tremec, Megasquirt EFI

Offline inviolet

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009 - 10:10:09 AM »
The car is tight and handles like its on rails even with the bad alignment. If you look closely, all the inner fender seems have been welded together like they do on the XV cars. It has in fender supports and subframe connectors. I'm also running Hotchkis front and rear sway bars. I've owned other cars in the pass and from experience when things get to stiff the weakest link usually cracks, so I'm a little skeptical of the heim joints. What do you think?

Here are some more pictures.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009 - 10:34:12 AM by inviolet »

Offline GreenFish

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009 - 10:31:00 AM »
The car is tight and handles like its on rails even with the bad alignment. If you look closely, all the inner fender seems have been welded together like they do on the XV cars. It has in fender supports and subframe connectors. I'm also running Hotchkis front and rear sway bars. I've owned other cars in the pass and from experience when things get to stiff the weakest link usually cracks, so I'm a little skeptical of the heim joints. What do you think?

Here are some more pictures.

I like the stiffening you did similar to the XV, I think the heim joints would be ok as long as they are good quality.  your alignment issue maybe fixed with the Hotchkis A-arms. I believe they correct the geometry problem you are having. They are pricey but may be worth it.

are you running power steering or manual?  Firm feel?

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009 - 10:38:05 AM »
Is that the just suspension Brembo kit? How do you like it? Was it worth the price?
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline inviolet

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009 - 10:48:27 AM »
Its a power steering box from firm feel. As for the A-arms I have already bought the Magnum force double adjustable with the heim joints.  I just wanted to know if anyone has any experience with these A-arms (long term use). I probably could of fixed my issue with drop spindles too. There are too many ways to solve the same issue but I cant say which would give you the best results.

Offline GreenFish

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2009 - 11:09:42 AM »
Its a power steering box from firm feel. As for the A-arms I have already bought the Magnum force double adjustable with the heim joints.  I just wanted to know if anyone has any experience with these A-arms (long term use). I probably could of fixed my issue with drop spindles too. There are too many ways to solve the same issue but I cant say which would give you the best results.

Cool, I switched from power to manual, but will probably go back to power firm feel again. Looking to do a rebuild of the car soon. My garage is almost finished, soon as that happens rebuild will start.