Author Topic: Fuel sending unit  (Read 9770 times)

Offline Tonefiend

• ▬▬▬▬ ♫ ♠ ♫ ▬▬▬▬
  • '70 Challenger
    • Ian A. Guitars
Fuel sending unit
« on: November 20, 2009 - 04:05:08 AM »
Just a shout out to Rosevill Moparts who hooked me up with a fuel sending unit.  The quality looks great. The tube appears to be stainless which is great considering my other one rusted out. I don't want to have to do this again in another 40 years!

They had a killer instruction sheet with some tips and troubleshooting ideas that guide you through fixing any issues you may have with your guage not working. 

Also they test it for functionality to make sure the potentiometer reads properly.  I checked it too and it was right on. 

The kit also came with a new fuel line, the correct clamps, and a new ground strap!  Well worth getting one from them imho.

:woohoo:

Offline shadango

• Resident
Re: Fuel sending unit
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009 - 05:13:34 AM »
Well, you had better luck than me.

I had tried two units from Rock auto and they were just CRAP.

So I returned them and ordered one from Roseville.

Yes, the quality is waaay better. And the new strap etc is a real bonus, though I had already purchased one....

However, after mounting it I found it still read only "half-full" when the tank was full.   I had to remove , tweak and reinstall 4 or 5 times to get it CLOSE.  Ended up having to tweak the arm a bit.....The gauge now reads over full when it full and at half a tank it is right on.....BUT....I have two small dead spots...one at around 3/4 and then one at around 1/4 tank or or so...where the gauge drops to empty for a bit and then eventually comes back.  Annoying to say the least.....

I am debating whether to pursue returning it for yet ANOTHER trial-and-error session.....but I am not sure how long the warranty on it was.....I may be n out of luck at this point as I bought it a couple months ago..... :dunno:

The only way to know for sure if the sending units work is to actually drive a full tank of gas or two so its a long process since most of us dont drive these cars every day...even at 10mpg or less, it takes a  while to drive a tank or two.......just looking for dead spots with the unit out of the tank isnt 100% accurate....I checked mone and it seemed ok...but then these two dead spots showed up.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009 - 05:18:58 AM by shadango »

Offline mopardave

• Sponsor
  • Resident
  • 1973 Challenger F8 in and out, 68 383,727 3.23 pos
    • rosevillemoparts
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009 - 08:10:33 AM »
so what your saying is that the unit you got from us in malfunctioning, or you haven't put it in yet? are you sure your getting a good ground at the gauge AND tank. I would think you have already tested the gauge for full movement and is ok? If you are having issues with our sending unit, I can call the manufacture to see what there warranty is. We have sold alot of these and have had no calibration issues.
let me know, thanks  David
Mopar Dave
Rosevillemoparts.com

if I haven't replied to your post or PM email me direct    dradcliffe@mikeriehls.com

70 FK5 Challenger RT/SE
70 FC7 70 Road Runner - Sold
71 FM3 Challenger RT
71 Cuda (in process for restoration)
73 F8 Challenger
1990 XJ - sold
2000 Dakota Quad Cab
2010 Ram Crew Cab 2500 4wd - sold
2015 Ram Crew Cab 2500 4wd Black Out

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009 - 11:29:43 AM »
yes, I think the units are good, but my experience varies.
Installed one 2 months ago and when I filled the tank the first time it read full, then I noticed just 10 miles later it was at 1/2 tank, then the next day less than empty, and thats where it has remained no matter how full. Basically the new sender did nothing for me, so I just reset the odo every time and refill again before I reach 90 miles...6mpg!! or I run out of gas, which has happened 3 times now. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
72 Roadrunner 400-4 Auto-3.23 Gear-Black Cruiser
71 Cuda 440-6 Tribute-Limelight-A833 Close Ratio-4 Sp-Pistol Grip-Dana 3.54 Powr Lok-Rally Dash-Shaker (Sold)
92 Dodge Stealth RT-Twin 15g Turbos-SAFC2 Tuned-Mystic Blue-5 Sp-AWD-Rear Wheel Steering-AutoX'r (Sold)
12 Dodge Charger SXT Plus Blacktop Package-3.6L-8 Sp-Leather-Nav (the wife's)

Multiple SRT's, Rams, Dakotas, Caravans and Neons

...the lines on the road just look like dots!....

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009 - 12:59:26 PM »
so what your saying is that the unit you got from us in malfunctioning, or you haven't put it in yet? are you sure your getting a good ground at the gauge AND tank. I would think you have already tested the gauge for full movement and is ok? If you are having issues with our sending unit, I can call the manufacture to see what there warranty is. We have sold alot of these and have had no calibration issues.
let me know, thanks  David
Hi David.....the unit I got from you guys is doing this....The gauge works fine...full sweep when I ground the wire going to the tank......its just that with this sender it has those dead spots (same place every tank full) and when I first installed it it only read half tank...ground is fine...even ran a seperate groun straight to the battery and same issue....so I tweaked the rod and got the results above....

Offline mopardave

• Sponsor
  • Resident
    • rosevillemoparts
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009 - 01:05:45 PM »
Do you recall when you bought this?
Mopar Dave
Rosevillemoparts.com

if I haven't replied to your post or PM email me direct    dradcliffe@mikeriehls.com

70 FK5 Challenger RT/SE
71 FM3 Challenger RT
73 F8 Challenger
1990 XJ - sold
2000 Dakota Quad Cab

Offline FJ5_440

• Wisconsin
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009 - 02:54:16 PM »
yes, I think the units are good, but my experience varies.
Installed one 2 months ago and when I filled the tank the first time it read full, then I noticed just 10 miles later it was at 1/2 tank, then the next day less than empty, and thats where it has remained no matter how full. Basically the new sender did nothing for me, so I just reset the odo every time and refill again before I reach 90 miles...6mpg!! or I run out of gas, which has happened 3 times now. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Hey Tommyg29,
These are classic signs of a leaking float.  I have a good one I will send you if you want it.  You just have to "clip" it in.  I had about 3000 miles in this sender when I upgraded to 3/8, so I know this float is good.
Just send me a an email with your address and I will mail it to you. :thumbsup:
** Shane **

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009 - 05:27:56 PM »
Do you recall when you bought this?

Yep..... 8/14/09

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009 - 06:31:16 PM »
I didnt think about that, but you sure are right. Sounds like what would happen with a leaking float....but it was brand new. Bought it from Roseville a few months ago, so I just figured my dash gauge failed.
I'll pull the sender when I have time and see if the float is full. I have a spare sender (the one I pulled out) and I may be able to use it....or I'll call Roseville and send it back if it is the float.
71 Cuda 440-6 Tribute-Limelight-A833 Close Ratio-4 Sp-Pistol Grip-Dana 3.54 Powr Lok-Rally Dash-Shaker (Sold)
92 Dodge Stealth RT-Twin 15g Turbos-SAFC2 Tuned-Mystic Blue-5 Sp-AWD-Rear Wheel Steering-AutoX'r (Sold)

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009 - 06:39:28 PM »
It's an oxymoron...Floats do sink.   :lol:

I had it happen to me. My buddy with a 91 Ford Ranger gave me his float, and it fit right in the Mopar sending unit. Go figure.    :dunno:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Tonefiend

• ▬▬▬▬ ♫ ♠ ♫ ▬▬▬▬
  • '70 Challenger
    • Ian A. Guitars
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009 - 11:16:13 PM »
I ran the sweep on mine, checking it with my meter and it was nice and even.  So Iam assuming it will work. If not it's got to be somthing else.  Anyway th eold one had a hole in the float and was completely rusted.    I will put it in this weekend. 

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009 - 07:41:15 AM »
Good luck...hope yours work good.

I checked my sweep too before installing it.....the dead spots are small enough that I guess I didnt move slow enough during the sweep initially.... :dunno:

They were not as bad, though, as the Rock auto units were....(tried two of them)......the sweep would go dead and then jump to full and stay there for a whilethen dead again then normal.......I *almost* thought about opening one up to try and make it work right myself....but then decided it was easier to spend the extra $$$ on a better one....so I went that route....it wa disappointing to find I still had some issues, though I guess I could live with what I have now.....at least it is predictable.....LOL

Offline mopardave

• Sponsor
  • Resident
    • rosevillemoparts
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2009 - 06:12:31 PM »
I didnt think about that, but you sure are right. Sounds like what would happen with a leaking float....but it was brand new. Bought it from Roseville a few months ago, so I just figured my dash gauge failed.
I'll pull the sender when I have time and see if the float is full. I have a spare sender (the one I pulled out) and I may be able to use it....or I'll call Roseville and send it back if it is the float.

let me know if you need the float.
Mopar Dave
Rosevillemoparts.com

70 FK5 Challenger RT/SE
71 FM3 Challenger RT
73 F8 Challenger
1990 XJ - sold
2000 Dakota Quad Cab

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2009 - 08:10:35 PM »
Well....thanks again very much for the suggestion. The float does have a pinhole leak, the small dot in the middle of the spot weld on the top in the picture. Luckily I still had my old sender (I rarely throw stuff away) and swapped the float. It still reads about 1/8 tank with 6 gallons in the tank, but at least it reads something!!

Offline inviolet

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2009 - 06:06:10 PM »
Sorry to deviate from the topic but my issue with my fuel sending unit is a little different, I've used two different gaskets around the unit and I can't get it to stop leaking gas when the tank is more than half way full. The tank is new and so it the unit. Is this a common issue with the E body gas tanks?