Author Topic: Killer_Mopar's progress thread  (Read 13841 times)

Offline Killer_Mopar

Killer_Mopar's progress thread
« on: November 20, 2009 - 12:02:22 PM »
Well after years and years of saving and working I can finally make one of those 'progress threads'

To recap, this car use to belong to my father - he bought it in 77', cleaned it up, and drove it till 86. The car had started to develop rust and had other issues, so it sat parked for 14 years - until I started getting into cars. Around the year 2000 I started on my long quest to get it back on the road, which didnt take long. I drove the car a couple weeks but then decided that the engine compartment looked terrible, so I took it apart to replace the inner fenders and clean the engine. Being a teenager on limited funds, things took time...so around a year later I had it back together and drove it around till 2004 where I decided that I wanted it done right. So....I stripped the car, replaced the passenger 1/4 panel, replaced the drivers front floorpan, and patched in around the trunk and lower firewall. Between that time and now I also built a new engine and gathered all the parts I wanted for the car. However, when it came to the actually bodywork & paint on the car, I knew I didnt have the skill or patience so I had to find someone in my budget that did.....and that finally happened a couple months ago.

So, here I am 5 years later, hoping to have it done by next summer.

I have to do some digging to find the old pictures, but below are the pictures of the car from the day the body guy took it, to today.....where it has paint on the doors, firewall, and inner fenders. With any luck, I hope to have it back in my garage by Christmas.

Before anyone asks....the color is Go-mango with gold pearl in the clear. It is the color I wanted for the car since I was little. When my father had the car painted in 77', he used a gold pearl and I always loved it.

70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline 70shaker6pk

Re: Killer_Mopar's progress thread
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009 - 03:42:22 PM »
Looks great, can't wait to see  when you get it all painted.
'JS23V0B'  1970 Challenger R/T N96 440 Six Pack

Offline AARCUDADEN

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009 - 10:38:54 PM »
Very nice  :thumbsup:
Dennis,Ohio

Offline challengerx

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009 - 11:04:44 PM »
 I wish I was that far, looks great.

Offline Mentally Challenged

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009 - 12:55:12 AM »
Color looks great  :2thumbs:
Chris, Ohio

Offline tx9aarcuda

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009 - 12:11:42 PM »
Looks good :thumbsup:Keep posting pictures.
Greg
68 Coronet R/T Convertible 4 spd
70 AAR Auto
97 Ram 1500

Offline mcgheejt

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009 - 09:49:15 PM »
 :woohoo:  Progress!!  Looking great.   :clapping:

Offline hezzel

• Matching numbers 383 Magnum ,727 at and 3:23 rear
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009 - 10:31:21 AM »
 :iagree: :2thumbs:
1971 Dodge Challenger R/T
2019 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid

Offline quapman

• Resident
    • Auto-Grip on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009 - 05:33:00 PM »
Go man, go!
My name is Steve and I'm addicted to Challengers...

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009 - 06:41:38 PM »
Yeah... More pics!  Tell us more...  What's it got in her? Final look? Details my good man.Details...    SWEEET color!  Going to be fun watching you finish her up. Thanks for sharing!!! :2thumbs:  And nice to see it come such a long way.With the color you've wanted. When people make their car their own...I respect it more. Take another look. Can't wait to see that color in the sun! :bigshades:   
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009 - 09:04:02 PM »
Thanks everyone for the comments :thumbsup: Im pretty happy to see many years of dreaming finally coming to fruition. I just came back from the bodyguy and he cut-in the underside of the hood, the backsides of the fenders (the area that can be seen when the doors are open), and the decklid jams. Most importantly, he feels that paint should be on the car within a week or two :bigsmile:

Yeah... More pics!  Tell us more...  What's it got in her? Final look? Details my good man.Details...    SWEEET color!  Going to be fun watching you finish her up. Thanks for sharing!!! :2thumbs:  And nice to see it come such a long way.With the color you've wanted. When people make their car their own...I respect it more. Take another look. Can't wait to see that color in the sun! :bigshades:

The car was originally a 383 with a 3-speed manual.....YES a 3-SPEED :lol: Its actually 1 of 31 R/T SEs that came that way, but its not really a sought-after rarity :rofl: The car also didnt have a suregrip rear-end....in fact it basically only had two options, the R/T and SE (and everything that entailed) Anyhow, the original 383 and trans are long gone (the original owner blew those up). When my dad bought it back in 77', it came with a 68 383HP and a 833. Both of those items have been set aside :biggrin:

I built a stroked 400 (451) for it and have an 833 OD im going to put behind it. The rear is going to be a B-body 8.75 swap with a 3.55 suregrip. Wheels will be Cragars (front will be 17x8 and rear 17x9) with nitto 555 meats. Also upgrading the suspension a little, but nothing all that great (.96 t-bars, edelbrock shocks, 1.25 from sway, T/A rear sway) Also ditching the front drums in favor of something that actually stops the car :roflsmiley: I have many many many paychecks worth of parts just waiting to be taken out of their boxes.....

I'll make sure to post more pictures as I get some :woohoo:

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009 - 09:44:56 AM »
Not much to see, but I guess these will make for a good before and after paint comparison. The next time I post pictures, the car should be in paint ;D

« Last Edit: December 03, 2009 - 11:21:14 AM by Killer_Mopar »

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009 - 11:23:17 AM »
Just a quick sneak peak....... ;D

That is with just 3 dry coats of clear with pearl.....there are two more wet coats of clear on top of that.....I'll post up the good pictures next week when I get the car back :thumbsup:

Offline 70shaker6pk

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2009 - 12:11:25 PM »
Looking real GOOD!
'JS23V0B'  1970 Challenger R/T N96 440 Six Pack

Offline sadil340

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2009 - 03:12:34 PM »
Bet you can't wait to see it in the sun! Me either!!
1970 Cuda 340 4-speed
3:55 SureGrip
Owned since 1974
Bought from original owner