anyone have a small block 440?

Author Topic: anyone have a small block 440?  (Read 13187 times)

Offline femtnmax

Re: anyone have a small block 440?
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2010 - 09:59:27 PM »
The heads on the block are a new aluminum version of the 1970 TA challenger & AAR cuda heads. They are bought "as cast" meaning it is up to the builder to port and polish as they desire, they will not work right out of the box.. I do remember the article in engine masters saying that there is a lot more room for porting and polishing the heads that came on the crate engine.
For street/strip it has been said the most flow improvement is working the port and combustion chamber within 1 inch of the valve seat.  A few general ideas:
A flow bench would be needed to work the short turn.   David Vizard showed that simply doing a 70 degree bowl cut equaled the flow gain of Mopars RB porting templates.  The small block Edy magnum heads have real bad valve shrouding, and it is relatively easy to enlarge the combustion chambers to near the head gasket. 
Could send the heads to Joe Mondello or Shady Dell.
Phil

Offline ajantics

• Yeah......Im a drummer!
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2010 - 12:31:28 AM »
Just an update for you guys, I got a call from summit racing letting me know that they will be shipping the engine on the 22nd :cooldancing: :woo:
70 Barracuda
73 'Cuda
2003 Dodge Ram 3/4ton
2009 G37s

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2010 - 01:02:38 AM »
Congrats, you are going to have fun with that one.    :2thumbs:
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline ajantics

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2010 - 01:15:55 AM »
Thanks, I am trying to pick the motor mounts and headers right now. In the engine masters issue they recommend using 1 7/8" headers, so it looks like I am going with the TTI headers, man those things ain't cheap! :faint: Does anyone have any recommendations for which motor mounts? :1zhelp:
70 Barracuda
73 'Cuda
2003 Dodge Ram 3/4ton
2009 G37s

Offline femtnmax

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2010 - 10:31:20 PM »
You could use stock over the counter mounts, then add safety feature, such as:
1.  metal strap between engine mount bolt thru K-frame and bolt thru engine block ear where engine mount bracket attaches to block.  Chryco's suggestion I believe.
2.  drill thru middle of stock mount and add grade 8 bolt/nut combo which holds two metal parts of sandwich together.
Either way you have the rubber isolation to reduce vibration, but have safety feature preventing mount from separating.
Phil

Offline ajantics

« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2010 - 01:48:02 PM »
You could use stock over the counter mounts, then add safety feature, such as:
1.  metal strap between engine mount bolt thru K-frame and bolt thru engine block ear where engine mount bracket attaches to block.  Chryco's suggestion I believe.
2.  drill thru middle of stock mount and add grade 8 bolt/nut combo which holds two metal parts of sandwich together.
Either way you have the rubber isolation to reduce vibration, but have safety feature preventing mount from separating.

Thanks Phil, I did not even think of a safety feature! I was looking at the Schumacher magnum poly-locs engine mounts. I do not know if anyone would recommend the though?
70 Barracuda
73 'Cuda
2003 Dodge Ram 3/4ton
2009 G37s

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2010 - 09:40:31 PM »
I actually did what Phil is suggesting and it works great! You can even use a countersunk screw head bolt to get the head down almost flush with the mount itself. It does the same thing as the Shumacher mount only at much less cost.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline ajantics

« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2010 - 07:44:51 PM »
Not to bring back a dead post but I have an update for you guys. Summit called me today and let me know that mopar has no intention of making this engine. So I canceled by order and have orderd a different motor.
70 Barracuda
73 'Cuda
2003 Dodge Ram 3/4ton
2009 G37s

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2010 - 08:37:11 AM »
Hmm. I thought Archer Racing or someone made these for Mopar. Maybe you could go directly to the source if you seriously want one. There is also Hensley Enterprises, who specializes in mopar builds, who could put together something like this as well.

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2010 - 11:15:38 AM »
Indy makes one as well.
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2010 - 11:19:41 AM »
Not to bring back a dead post but I have an update for you guys. Summit called me today and let me know that mopar has no intention of making this engine. So I canceled by order and have orderd a different motor.

That sucks, that looked like a sweet engine.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2010 - 11:58:40 AM »
The key for power in those displcements is nott he bore or heads.. But the lower end. The "larger than 426" smallblocks need a new block. The Ritter or the MP would be ok, but you have to get the siamese bore to go 4.10 or larger and you're looking at somewhere around $2800 for the MP, $3100 for the Ritter. IMO, the Ritters a better block. For heads, a set of Indy 360-1s would be fine. As for weight, the Ritter block is about 40lbs heavier than a std LS/Magnum block... But, it has 4 bolt mains, good caps, can take a bore up to 4.25 with plenty of meat to rebuild, revised oiling, good lifter bores, etc. I dont think getting one for $13K is a bad deal at all if that's what you have to have. And really, aside from the visuals (That's just a 340..) and the initial cost, it's an outstanding engine package.

Offline Cooter

• There goes the lone Challenger............
    • christinecarclub.com
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2010 - 12:39:18 PM »
This of course is only My opinion on the subject, as I'm a BB Man....

To me, the ONLY reason someone would spend $15K on a small block that is stretched within an inch of it's life just to be@ 440 Cu. In., is for that same 'ol BS line...
"Hell son, I just ran low 10's with "Only a 318" SB".....

If I saw a SB 440 running low to mid 10's and a BB 500 Cu. In. running low to mid tens, the first thing I'm gonna do is understand that an $8K BB stroker runs the same as a $15K stroker SB....To me, that's ALOT of coin to be able to use that age old line.....
The "new" 426 C.I. HEMI's have a small block Chebby bore, with a 4.5 crank....We old schoolers call that a dump truck engine...Long rod, with no bore...
Everybody just assumes a BB stroker running low 10's is "Common place" but a SB is just crazy...Not really, when you have $15K in it....Hell, there are some 331 C.I. brand "X" engines putting out 2000 HP Boosted, but then again, they have CRAZY money in 'em as well...

I'd much rather be running the same timeslip for about half the price...

And the handling thing could be as easily remedied as just running stiffer suspension components, then I can carve canyons as well as the small block car.
Again, I've had bad luck with small blocks and this is not to belittle the popular 340, but for my money, I'd much rather start where you ended up.....(440 C.I.)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010 - 12:43:34 PM by Cooter »
1958 plymouth Belvedere 2dr hd top "Christine" [OO)====V====(OO]
1969 dodge Charger "General Lee"         [___|______I______|___]                        
1968 Dodge Dart 2dr sedan 505" Stroker    (O]=0==========0=[O)                
1970 Challenger R/T Clone "Kowalski Special"   (OO) [___________] (OO)

Offline ajantics

« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2010 - 12:59:16 PM »
 :iagree:
Cooter: The reason i wanted to keep it small block is that I have a 73 cuda and i was trying to keep it looking stock. I was getting the motor for $12,500 which is not to much in my mind. Now that my plans have changed I am going big block. :2thumbs:

moper: the engine was being built with a new R-3 Siamese bore block with 48° tappet :thumbsup:

I have heard too many bad things about indy's crate motors so and other places that I got a hold of to build the motor wanted a little more than I was willing to pay. My plans for the build have changed. I got a shaker on order, & I have John Arruzza making me a hemi right now! :bigsmile: :woo: :woohoo: :cooldancing:
www.arruzzahighperformance.com
70 Barracuda
73 'Cuda
2003 Dodge Ram 3/4ton
2009 G37s

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2010 - 02:07:42 PM »
And the handling thing could be as easily remedied as just running stiffer suspension components, then I can carve canyons as well as the small block car.

True, but the 340 car will run that canyon for longer before that extra spring rate holding up that 440 starts getting the tires all greasy and slippin' around.

For the most part I agree though, for simple power to weight to expense ration, big blocks are the way to go for the vast majority of drivers.