Author Topic: Ultimate Level I suspension  (Read 1208 times)

Offline GreenFish

Ultimate Level I suspension
« on: November 24, 2009 - 06:25:52 PM »
Ok with the recent discussions about suspension mods I put together a spread sheet and tried to come up with the best front and rear package using a stock K frame and lower control arms with Torsion bars.

I pretty much used a combination of three vendors XV, Hotchkis, and Firm Feel.

Here is what I came up with looking for the best prices on all parts:
Keeping in mind I already have a PST large sway bar.

I had originally used

Hotchkis A-arms, Steering Rods, Strut Rods and bushing. =$1232
Rear Leaf springs and swaybar $796

Firm Feel
Torsion bars, Modified Lower control arms, Power steering box , and reinforced K-frame (powdercoated) $1379

The total for all of this came to $3407

Then I took into consideration the XV Level I

XV L1 kit includes F/R sway, Strut Rods, Leaf Springs, and torsion bars with bushings, AND SHOCKS. $2250

Now add:
Hotchkis Upper control arms $650 (Jegs)
Hotchkis steering rods $250 (jegs)

Firm feel
Power Steering box $329
Reinforced lower control arms $150
Reinforced K frame $575 (powder coated)
(all these do not include core charge)

Total $3629

Which is cheaper because this includes the XV shocks and front sway bar as well. Remember I omitted the front sway bar because I already had a decent PST bar. Pretty sure all my numbers are right and if you dont want to spend a ton of cash on a system that has a fancy K frame stay with a basicly stock looking suspension, this is the way to go. This is just about everything too. You can subtract things you dont want, or used different upper A arms.

In Comparison the AlterKtion set up is $4250 with motor mounts then you still need to add a brake kit +$695 = $4945 and that is just the front end.

Hope this helps someone out.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2009 - 06:27:39 PM by GreenFish »
70 cuda, 440, KB pistons, 10.5:1 compression, edlebrock heads,RacerBrown cam, 5-Speed Tremec, Megasquirt EFI

Offline RB2929

Re: Ultimate Level I suspension
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009 - 07:48:45 PM »
Any thoughts of going ala cart with XV Motor Sports?
The engine bay bar, radiator supoort, wheel well brace, or the chassis stiffner?
Just Curious

http://www.xvmotorsports.com/products/detail/index.cfm?nPID=176&cid=39&cdesc=E%2DBody%20Products

Offline jvike

• Pro-Touring Cuda
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009 - 02:59:37 AM »
XV just made their Level I shocks available for purcase outside the kit. http://www.xvmotorsports.com/media/XVLevelIShocks.pdf

I'd get the complete level I front suspension and a FirmFeel box, but the most notable would be the XV chassis stiffening kit. From there you could upgrade your A-arms, strud rods and tierods. I'd save me some money on the K-member and weld it myself or give it to a local shop to do it.
Member of The Rapid Transit System

Offline GreenFish

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009 - 08:05:34 AM »
Chassis stiffening would be next on my list as well. Some may have issues with this because it requires welding parts onto your car. I will most likely go this route as well since Ill have the car apart.

The point was to put together a suspension without breaking the bank completely. You could add or remove items as needed. I would just buy the entire XV kit because its cheaper that way if nothing else.
70 cuda, 440, KB pistons, 10.5:1 compression, edlebrock heads,RacerBrown cam, 5-Speed Tremec, Megasquirt EFI

Offline GreenFish

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009 - 08:08:04 AM »
You could also throw in the Cap auto lower control arms if you dont like the firm feel units. A few more bucks but another option.

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009 - 08:48:06 AM »
The RMS shaves some weight. I love it,And think it's very worth the added cost.It looks better for sure. Opens up the whole engine bay. The rack steering is an obvious upgrade that works flawlessly. If I would have put all the time and effort into doing up the factory stuff.I'd have been disappointed. It's just not the same. It might be a comparison in the performance realm. But I wanted something a touch more exotic for my car.The 4 link outperforms the leafs hands down. But that's another story. It can be a tough choice. And get's pricey. But it has been worth every single penny so far. :2cents:
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline inviolet

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009 - 06:45:25 PM »
If your going to go all out don't forget to add Greasable Lower Control Arm Pins with Urethane bushings
 (Firm Feel):bigsmile:

« Last Edit: November 25, 2009 - 07:01:04 PM by inviolet »

Offline GreenFish

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009 - 09:14:00 PM »
If your going to go all out don't forget to add Greasable Lower Control Arm Pins with Urethane bushings
 (Firm Feel):bigsmile:

ahh.. good call Inviolet, little things that are nice to have that if you are going to buy the lowers you might as well get the greaseable pins.

Offline GreenFish

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009 - 09:20:11 PM »
The RMS shaves some weight. I love it,And think it's very worth the added cost.It looks better for sure. Opens up the whole engine bay. The rack steering is an obvious upgrade that works flawlessly. If I would have put all the time and effort into doing up the factory stuff.I'd have been disappointed. It's just not the same. It might be a comparison in the performance realm. But I wanted something a touch more exotic for my car.The 4 link outperforms the leafs hands down. But that's another story. It can be a tough choice. And get's pricey. But it has been worth every single penny so far. :2cents:

The point of my research was to save money and still have a nice set up.

My set up $3629 Front and rear
AlterKtion
Front $5000
Rear $2000
Total $7000 and you still need rear brakes.

Thats twice what you would pay with stock type stuff. I have no doubt that the Alterkation stuff is better and definitely has the cool factor. But with the extra $3500 I can put that somewhere else in my car.